AGP/PCI Asynchronous Mode with FSB?

Shinare

Gawd
Ok, I'm a n00b to overclocking, I've been reading a lot, but I am still a little fuzzy on this "AGP/PCI Asynchronous Mode with FSB" thing. my mobo supports this and I am wondering if I want to go synchronous or asynchronous. Does this have anything to do with the "overclock-ability"?

when you overclock, you almost always increase the fsb...if the agp/pci frequencies aren't locked, you'll be overclocking them as well (which is bad stuff). so, to be able to run them asynchronously means that they'll stay at the frequency they should be at while you change your fsb to whatever you please.

Originally posted by Ch1m3r4
when you overclock, you almost always increase the fsb...if the agp/pci frequencies aren't locked, you'll be overclocking them as well (which is bad stuff). so, to be able to run them asynchronously means that they'll stay at the frequency they should be at while you change your fsb to whatever you please.

Thanks a lot for the explination. It makes perfect sence now that you explained it. I have it on synchronous right now wich means my AGP is probably WAY outta spec. I need to go put it the other way round.

This ASUS board has a third option for this setting which is "performance" I looked all over their website for the answer to this question and hopefully as to what "performance" setting meant as well. *shrug*

Originally posted by Shinare
Thanks a lot for the explination. It makes perfect sence now that you explained it. I have it on synchronous right now wich means my AGP is probably WAY outta spec. I need to go put it the other way round.

This ASUS board has a third option for this setting which is "performance" I looked all over their website for the answer to this question and hopefully as to what "performance" setting meant as well. *shrug*

Performance on the AGP/PCI slot frequency? That sounds weird. I know on my ASUS P4C800 board I get a "Performance Mode" (or something to that effect) underneath the frequency settings.

I find that the "Performance mode" for Ram & CPU's causes system instability (at least on my system), so I'd take a gander that it'd probably cause instability with the AGP/PCI. But who know'se.

Some of the newer boards (ASUS that I know about) will allow you to OC the AGP bus in 1mhz increments. Running your AGP higher than standard isn't totally bad...just when it gets way too out of spec :eek:

Back