Agp not going to last that long 12-18 months at most!

Hasn't that pretty much been known and expected?

and i'm sure once you move over to PCI-E you won't be saying BAH!!.. heheh

But dude... AGP is doing fine I think....Its going to run every game out right now with no problems!

AGP isn't going anywhere soon.
That's like saying soon serial ports or floppies are going to disapear :eek:

I see, well i don't know.. i don't fully know the specifications of AGP and PCI-X to discuss about that.. but anyone out there??? put in your two cents.. My assumptions is that PCI-X will rock the house.. i mean why else would they come out with it?.. and i believe theres something special about the bus of PCI-X

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
I see, well i don't know.. i don't fully know the specifications of AGP and PCI-X to discuss about that.. but anyone out there??? put in your two cents.. My assumptions is that PCI-X will rock the house.. i mean why else would they come out with it?.. and i believe theres something special about the bus of PCI-X

I believe it was on this forum that sad... its just something else that will waste peoples money lol but I`m just kinda mad I have to buy new things anyways...

If PCI-x or PCI-E whatever is like a world of a difference better than AGP i would say it will disappear.. but i dont know.. who knows..

Never liked AGP to start with personally...

PCI-express has a lot going for it:

Most importantly IMO is that it no longer needs to support all of the different voltages that AGP has gone through. 3.3 volt for 2x, 1.5 volt for 4x and 0.8 volt for 8x. A lot of newer motherboards won't accept 2X AGP cards anymore because of all the extra circuitry that must be put on the motherboard to support it. PCI-express also starts at a much higher native wattage.

Bandwidth is higher, which means games can go outside the videocard memory and not be extremely speed limited (More important on low-end cards with 64MB or less) IE: An AGP card with 64MB going up against a PCI-express with 64MB on a game that suggests 128MB of videocard memory, should be at least playable on the PCI-express card.

But more importantly it is serial based, which means it should play nicer with other PCI-express cards.. Not sure if the serial interface still requires interrupts (Interrupts/IRQ's are totally necessary with parallel, and can reduce peformance especially if you have to share them) CPU and IRQ overhead should be greatly reduced too, which can result in higher framerates, or even a smoother overall experience (IE: the PCI-express bus will not be fighting with your USB mouse over interrupts or AGP to PCI every 255 clock cycles or so.)

Since its a bidirectional interface, the GPU can now be effectively used as a CPU. In theory, a programmable DX9 based videocard could even outperform a top of the line CPU in 96 and 128-bit calculations. Most CPU's are still heavily optimized to run 32 and some 64 bit Integer and floating point calculations,

Well the differant variations AGP has gone through over the years is a gripe. 1x/2x/4x/8x but pcix will end up with the same syndrome.

Nowadays i think the carts ahead of the horse. AGP 8x offered no real performance increases (at least, nothing that sped up its adoption, other than it being a new standard) So if, hypothetically AGP 16x was released, that shouldnt offer any decent performance increases either. Neither would AGP 32x, or 64x. So to me it looks like PCI-E wont offer anything more than a new slot with a new name. Sure it has some new features, but so did rambus.

I think the features it offers will only become readily used long after PCI-E has been replaced.

I read an article that said at this point most games are not utilizing all of AGP 4x bandwidth. If this is true I really don't see the point in jumping into PCI-Express now.

but wont other cards just besides the video card use pci express elminating the 133mbs of pci??

Does it really matter? "They" are going to tell us that PCI-E is the best and we are going to buy it. We're hardware geeks, its what we do.

The thing is AGP Bus doesn't have a lot of potential.

Thats why PCI-E is replacing AGP, its supposed to offer a lot more. Like what ZenOps said.

Give it 2 or 3 years most of us will merge by then. But 1 year is waaay too short, everyone could pretty much guarantee that AGP will be mainstream for at least 2 more years.

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but the uber cool thing about pci-e is going to be the two videocards each rendering half of the screen. When that comes out, wow, it'll definately be time for the pci-e upgrade as I'm sure the performance improvement will be huge. But I could be completely wrong. I don't even know.

themorningbells said:
I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but the uber cool thing about pci-e is going to be the two videocards each rendering half of the screen. When that comes out, wow, it'll definately be time for the pci-e upgrade as I'm sure the performance improvement will be huge. But I could be completely wrong. I don't even know.

Possible on PCI-E, but right now I think you are talking about the Alienware demo. Super-expensive yes. Will 90% of probablly use it, no.

Think how long ago agp came out, and yet I still see pci cards at the store today. So when pci-e comes out, agp will still be around, maybe in 2 years you won't have flagship cards available in both types.

You guys are confusing 3 buses, there's PCI-E, PCI and AGP going on in discussion here. Youre forgetting the fact that PCI-E ports are scaleable based on the bandwidth needed and it is a better technology than what we have now. Serial Hard Drives are becoming the norm quickly. The main differences between these two kinds of buses are serial technology(which also allows each card to talk to each other instead of IRQ requests) and overall memory bandwidth which seems to keep going up and up and has a hit a wall on PCI and most likely will with AGP soon enough. Be patient, embrace the new technology when you must.

Alyosha said:
Does it really matter? "They" are going to tell us that PCI-E is the best and we are going to buy it. We're hardware geeks, its what we do.

LOL

:)

Alyosha said:

so true, so true.

Next thing they'll tell us is their new ultra clean soldering material is going to regulate electricity better, causing a quantum singularity within the GPU, increasing performance by 1000%.

Bah. What we need is an engineer that can explain step for step what every hardware / software component of a video card does, from the first electron that enters the AGP/PCI-E port. The discussion is too high level these days, and we're losing the nitty-gritty know-how of what's really important at the low-level.

Yeah I thought the big advantages of PCI express were that it was a universal protocol for all cards with scalable bandwidth, reduced motherboard traces, increased wattage and the ability for the two cards or more PCI cards to communicate directly over the PCI express bus.

Don't really think it will offer much performance boost for graphic cards if any at all.

For the video compression and such, which these new shinny video cards are leaning towards taking over from the cpu, wouldn't the bandwidth need to be bigger?

Ya, the reduced number of traces is really nice too... Motherboard manufacturers will probably jump all over PCI-Express because they won't have to manage the extra hundred or so traces and beforementioned voltages. Not counting costs of the chipsets, making a PCI-express mobo should be noticably less expensive than making a Universal AGP capable mobo. Hopefully they will pass the production savings to the consumer and/or use higher quality components in other places.

Its great for SFF and laptop users too, someone may eventually make a mini PCI-express card that runs on a PCI-Express X1/x2 slot (the really tiny one, but still runs at around AGPx2 speed, which is good enough for most everything.) Finally it may usher in an era of replaceable upgradeable laptop videocards that are compatible with desktop systems.

Don_1 said:
AGP isn't going anywhere soon.
That's like saying soon serial ports or floppies are going to disapear :eek:

Whatever, I've never needed serial ports for my computer at home in the last 5 years and they are STILL there. I haven't had a floppy in my home machine for some time also.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Whatever, I've never needed serial ports for my computer at home in the last 5 years and they are STILL there. I haven't had a floppy in my home machine for some time also.

I used serial ports recently with an older digital camera I had...tho it's been about a year. I routinely use the floppy to re-image my drive(s) when need calls for it (or I just feel lazy) with Ghost 2003.

If you can't get into windows, they still don't have a way to access the ghost post XP interface without a floppy unless you burned your image on a DVD (which I have too, but it's not as fast as copying the image from a second hard drive).

floppies are still going strong my friend. :)

TRex said:
I read an article that said at this point most games are not utilizing all of AGP 4x bandwidth. If this is true I really don't see the point in jumping into PCI-Express now.

There's a lot more to it than the speed, read a couple posts above at what ZenOps said.

i have never used a serial port ever... i still use the parellell port for the printer but would rather have usb...
Hopefully within the next 2-3 years, mobos will have mostly PCI express slots, SATA ports, all USB 2.0 instead of serial and parellell, and they really need to have a universal plug for front panel connectors and usb expansions.

Back