AGP GPU suggestions

EET

Limp Gawd
It's for my dad's Socket A system, trying to hold him over until there's money to build a better system. He has a 6600GT right now, and plans to stay nVidia. I was doin' some lookin', and the closest 2 cards in my price range were the 6800XT and the 7600GT. Which would be better between the two?

LINKY

The 6800 is 512Mb GDDR2, and the 7600 is 256Mb, but it's GDDR3, and it also has 4 more pixel pipes and is clocked higher. There's about a $20 difference between the two is why I'm asking, it'll probably be a Christmas present (or birthday, 4 days later).

It's for my dad's Socket A system, trying to hold him over until there's money to build a better system. He has a 6600GT right now, and plans to stay nVidia. I was doin' some lookin', and the closest 2 cards in my price range were the 6800XT and the 7600GT. Which would be better between the two?

LINKY

The 6800 is 512Mb GDDR2, and the 7600 is 256Mb, but it's GDDR3, and it also has 4 more pixel pipes and is clocked higher. There's about a $20 difference between the two is why I'm asking, it'll probably be a Christmas present (or birthday, 4 days later).

You know I respect the loyalty thing but when it gets in the way of common sense I have to speak out. The ATI x1950 AGP is so much faster than either of those cards that's it's not even funny. Nvidia decides to drop AGP on the mid-high end but ATI comes out with the nice x1950 and you do not even consider it because it's not Nvidia.

I would do some checking before you cross off the x1950 just because it's made by ATI. IMHO the x1950 will run rings around the 7600 and it happens to be one of the best cards you can get for the money in either AGP or PCIx16 form.

My two cents.

-JB

Yeah, but the thing is it's out of the price range I'm looking at. If I were looking at a better card I'd start looking at the 7900GS (which I haven't).

Understandable even though the x1950 is a better pick over the 7900GS.

I only chimed in here when you posted that you were only looking at Nvidia. For a holdover card the 7600GT is not too bad.

I see the supply of 1950 AGP's has dried up. $179 New ($149 Open box) at newegg vs $139 for the 7600GT.

IMHO the 1950 is worth the extra $40 big time but I understand you have to draw the line.

I sure would hate to spend $139 on a holdover card. In thsi respect maybe a slower 6800XT at $68 is a much better holdover card.

-JB

ok guys lets all remember this is a get-by-card on a budget. Spending over $100 on a socket A system is bad $.

With this being the case I would buy one of the following, actually the 2 you picked are good choices, but if you upgrade his system in the next year or so I would go with this,

SAPPHIRE 100219L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 8X $112
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2746206&CatId=933
the reason I say this one is that you could still sell it when you upgrade and it should be faster than either one of the ones you have linked us too.

The 2 cards you linked too are cheaper on www.tigerdirect.com

Cheers.

Back