• Not sure

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • No

Votes: 41 28.9%

• Total voters

Rob94hawk

2[H]4U
This poll is for AGP users like myself.

We all know how PCIE is the new, but for people with good and fairly recent AGP systems I would like to know if you will upgrade your AGP cards to the X1950 when it is released?

I will buy it regardless of price but I just hope the card isn't watered down too much. Since my Dell fp2001's native res is 1600x1200 I would like to turn up all the settings on all the games myself and my son plays. (Trainz2004 & 2006, Doom 3, Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.) If this card is as powerful as it is predicted then it will more than likely entice me to buy some of the latest games as well since I won't be building a new rig for at least another 4 years.

My GF would love to play Sims 2 at 1280x1024 with some nice AA and AS settings I'm sure...

But, I can't see paying more than... 350 for this card at launch...

Shouldn't be watered down at all. It should be identical to the PCI-E version, and why not after all? They could have made an AGP X1950 XTX that was identical to the PCI-E version if they'd wanted to. They just don't want people staying on AGP because the more cards you manufacture, the cheaper each one is, and the more you profit or are able to undercut the competition. Having to continue to produce AGP cards messes up that equation.

Yep, I just bought and received my new BFG 7800GS OC card from Newegg two days ago. I haven't installed it yet because I'm debating returning it and waiting for the new X1950 AGP to come out. As tempted as I am to crack open my case and swap out my (tried-and-true) ATI 9800XT I've thus far been able to resist the urge.

Do you guys think the performance difference justifies the wait (and paying the 15% restocking fee for the RMA to Newegg)?

No. My AGP system is at the end of it's rope. Next in line is a complete overhaul. There is no need to spend good money on old technology.

I’d like to pick one up, but as good as this card will probably be it’s not a DX10 card. If the DX10 cards come out and are a huge hit then I’ll probably wait for a full upgrade or for the x1950 AGP prices to drop (if they ever).

I already have an X800XTPE which does a fine job with all my games even at 1680x1050. I’ll have to be impressed by the benchmarks and generally not have the feeling that I’m wasting money right on the verge of DX10. Other than that I’m happy enough with the rest of my system I could definitely get by using it for one or two more years.

I will definitely buy if I can get it for around $250... $300 is pushing it. My system is plenty powerful... only thing I need is a more powerful card to drive my 1680x1050 res. I don't need a whole new system yet.

joseywales said:
Do you guys think the performance difference justifies the wait (and paying the 15% restocking fee for the RMA to Newegg)?

The x1950pro will be quite a bit more powerful than the 7800GS... paying the 15% stocking fee makes it not worth it in my eyes though

I'll be waiting till the price stabilizes.It'll probably 300ish at release and come down to the 200 range in a month.

Conman said:
I'll be waiting till the price stabilizes.It'll probably 300ish at release and come down to the 200 range in a month.

QFT... that's exactly what I've been thinking will happen

If it helps me squeeze another 9 months to a year out of my AGP rig, then it's worth it.

Yes, I could just move my 939 stuff over to a PCIe system, but I've I'm going to migrate to a new mobo (will have to reinstall going from NF3 to NF4) I'm changing everything.

By next fall the G80 and R600's should be at or near a dot release and both AMD and Intel Quad cores should be more realistically priced.

Anyone have an opinion on how this care would be in comparison to my X800XTPE?

Nope, I just bought a 7800GS over the summer. And even when I get a new monitor, it should be powerful enough for the games I play. Plus, it would just be silly. Considering I have a 2800+ Barton, which I'm told already bottlenecks my 7800GS.

Get the 7800 gs... but dont go evga, i bought one from frys, returned it in 4 days.. i had no internet at the time i bought it and could not download drivers and the disc drivers on the evga cd was crap, when i install them the screeen turns funky and i have to go to safe mode.. once i got the drivers my 5700 ultra had no importance to me... still i returned it for money to get some other things haha

InorganicMatter said:
No. My AGP system is at the end of it's rope. Next in line is a complete overhaul. There is no need to spend good money on old technology.

I feel the same way. I'd rather just save the money to overhaul my system.

I recently bought a Gainward Bliss 7800GS + 512 (G71 core) and so I prob won't bother with this card. A DX10 AGP card I'd be interested in. I deliberately decided to stick with AGP rather than get an NF4 based board 'cos I need 4 PCI slots and no decent s939 PCI express board has this.

Watercooled and overclocked to 638/1476 I get around 10,000 3dmark05 points. Not bad.

im on a s754 board with all dated crap so I was looking to go for one, but at 250+ dollars, may as well go pci-e and buy a new 754 mobo that has pci-e and the pci-e version of the card or something better. My current mobo's a POS anyway so I'm not married to it. =P

I would like to get it. My computer seems to run most games well enough. But like most people here, am always longing for something better. They are already talking about PCIE 2.0. If I do a complete overhaul, Who's to say that the end of next year everyone will be looking at the new PCIE 2.0. Or maybe we will have graphics that you just put into the mother board like a CPU and slap a fan on it?

I've got a socket 754 3400+ system that could be brought out of mothballing with a new agp gfx card.

Depends on reviews and pricing really.

I am not sure. It would have to be less than $299 and I am not sure if I really need it to play
any awesome PC games between now and January when I upgrade my computer.

I suppose the real question is will there be a DX10 AGP card? Maybe an 8800GS? :eek:

It's either this or a new motherboard and GPU.

Part of me wants to just grab an A8N-E and a x1950XT or something.

I have a 7800gs. I used to have a 6800GT... then I traded up for an ultra. The ultra died so I sent in for RMA and got a 7800GS in return.

So... I am not sure how much faster this card is then a 7800gs.

dej166 said:
I suppose the real question is will there be a DX10 AGP card? Maybe an 8800GS? :eek:

I have seen rumors flying around the interwebnet thingy proclaiming that DX10 AGP cards are "in the planning stages", but honestly, I would be a little surprised if we see any... Just my opinion, though....

Like I have already said, AGP is dead. That doesn't mean you should run out and buy a PCI-E system, but I wouldn't spend my hard-earned $300 (that's what these cards are going for in PCI-E, AGP will probably be more) on a card that was obsoloete before it even hit the market. I would MUCH sooner buy that CPU/mobo combo for $95 in ^that ad up there^, carry my RAM over, and spend the remaining $200 on a nice PCI-E 7600GT or maybe X1900GT if you can find it cheap. Money much better spent.

I'll be saving my money for a C2D SLI system. My 6800 Ultra AGP is the highest I'll go on an AGP card.

See I was hell bent on keeping my 6800 for as long as I could... since it was so easy to mod into a QuadroFX4000... and I did alot of MAX work.

The quadroFX4000 is still an extremely fast card in quadro terms... but when I got my 7800gs back from BFG I was pissed at first... but I have continued to use MAX and have noticed that it is slower... but I don't use enough polys to push it too far over the edge... even when importing from AutoCAD it still runs semi-ok for the work I am doing.

I am not quite as steamed... however I sure wish there was a current gen card that modded to a quadro. Those latest quadros are EXPENSIVE.

Back