AGP fast write, what exactly does this do?

Swede88

Lurker
In my ATI 9600 pro settings, there is an option for AGP fast write...what exactly does this do? It's set at OFF by default...should I turn this on? Thanks

Oh and another question, is there a good way of knowing how a game should run according to specs of your comp?

if you can turn fastwrites o with no problems, then leave it on. some people say it makes your system unstable but i think its bs as i've never seen any evidence. remember to turn fastwrites on in BIOS and in SMARTGART

I turned mine off, I kept hearing to many weird things about it, so I didn't take the chance.

Fastwrites is found in different places depending on the bios (but it is in the bios, though it can be changed using a windows app like SMARTGART (ATi only)). IIRC, fastwrites is a feature that supposedly speeds up memory access between the mobo chipset and the AGP card. On my systems it doesn't seem to do anything speed-wise.

Doesn't it need to be enabled in both BIOS and the gfx drivers?

Turning it on in BIOS makes the board actually support the operation & turning it on in the drivers makes them use it...

Back