AGP extender mod

scifikg

n00b
I don't have room for a video card to fit in my case. Could I desolder an AGP riser card and exntend it with wires. I'm guessing there will be signal loss, but I'm not sure. I'd like to extend it 7 inches. Anybody know anything about this or know of a company that sell them for a descent price?

Here is the case it would go.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Awesome case there dudage! I probably would have gone smoked plexi on the top but man, kudos to you for that one! Hope you find out about the AGP extender.

^^bumpage for you

http://www.adexelec.com/agp32.htm#AGPFLEX

There's a flexible agp extender. According to the description, it doesn't work well for 4x agp and the longest they have is 5". So 7" may be too long. You could email them and ask them if 7" would be too long though. I'm sure that they would know.

Originally posted by Shinare
Awesome case there dudage! I probably would have gone smoked plexi on the top but man, kudos to you for that one! Hope you find out about the AGP extender.

^^bumpage for you

Nah. Smoked plexi would make it took less tactical. It'd look like a case mod. What he's got is a pelican case (mind you, these things survive a ton of things), which has a military look to it. It kinda looks like a Combat Air Controller unit or something. He should get a Radar-Screen screensaver for the ultimate in cool :)

i've got one of those agp riser that you linked to in the 1st post. it's just sitting here. pay postage and I'll send it to you.

You are just itching to kill your card aren't you? Then after you do this "mod" you start a thread like "I FRYED MY CARD HELP!" If its not broken....don't fix it! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Mikey20
You are just itching to kill your card aren't you? Then after you do this "mod" you start a thread like "I FRYED MY CARD HELP!" If its not broken....don't fix it! :rolleyes:
But it is broken...he can't fit a card in there and the agp riser he linked to he said wouldn't work. I don't see how extending the riser will fry it, as long as he wires it up correctly and doesn't cross any wires it should either work or if it's too long then it won't work.

awsome case man. I thing I would have put a speaker on each side of the screen though for stereo.

did you hard-solder the keyboard and mouse connections to the inside?

I wouldn't try extending an AGP riser more than a few inches, it just won't take it. If you can limit the AGP spec used in the BIOS you might be OK, or if the card you'r using is a lower AGP spec you might be ok, but I would definately recommend getting a riser that is already cabled to the correct length.

If you really do need to go long away then you might consider a PCI card instead, you can get longer PCI extenders.

If you are going to try to solder things why not move the AGP to the other side of the board. You would have to cross the wires (not touching each other, just reverse the ordering), somehow find a way to non-conductively glue another AGP slot directly to the motherboard to imobilize wiggling.

All the while making sure to have the slot itself is facing away from the top of, or the cpu portion, of the board so the cards cooler would face away from the board....

you could have cooling vent downward and out of the case (or into the case if you want).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I wanted a fleble extender so that the graphics card would be positioned as pictured.
Picture_032_proto.sized.jpg

I wanted to add an Asus 9600XT, but those flexible extenders don't look like a good option at only 2x. Did you guys see those little capacitors or resistors on the extender cards? I wonder what those do. The onboard video isn't all that bad with a gforce 4 mx 440. I can play Halo 800x600 with no problems. I gues that I could always make a pcb extender, but I have no experience with this or know here to buy agp connectors. This is looking like it is more trouble than it is worth.

did you hard-solder the keyboard and mouse connections to the inside?
I just used the onboard USB pins with a connector cable.

The right angle extenders do work, and at 8x AGP as well - Here's one in action at one of my LAN's (yes, that the Crystalfontz 1U mod)
DSC00115.JPG

This is an early pic, the system has since undergone some refinement.

For your mod, you'll have to go custom - with the right parts, you should be able to run at 4X - as long as you keep the wiring in proper order. I've made extenders for PCI and older ISA video before but haven't messed with AGP (yet... ).

Nice work on the mod too!

Peace,
Tim

Back