AGP club

Status
Not open for further replies.
yesh, i have to troubleshoot my machine. it appears one of my dualcores has 90% utilization without anything running.

will get back once i fix the idle issue but high utilization issue.

The operating system doesn't really matter, probably is because a driver issue, beause the PCIe version doesn't have that problem and AGP bandwidth is not really an issue here. The Radeon HD 2600 series and HD 2400 series supports FULL HARDWARE ACCELERATION of VC-1, that means that your CPU utilization will not exceed 40% most of the time. Shesh, even the X1950PRO which doesn't have full acceleration of VC-1, doesn't exceed the 50% CPU usage.

January 7, 2008

Have been to both the PowerColor site and the Sapphire attempting to locate a vendor that is selling the HD 3850 AGP but without success.

IF ANYONE LOCATES A LINK TO THE ACTUAL SALE OF EITHER CARD PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK .

Thanks!

Tweaktown reports:

Both PowerColor and Sapphire help make it a bit easier with the release of their latest HD 3850 graphics cards which are designed for the AGP interface.

The PowerColor variant carries clocks of 668MHz on the core and 1656MHz DDR on the memory, whilst the Sapphire comes in slightly higher with a core speed of 700MHz and memory speed of 1.7GHz DDR

January 7, 2008

Have been to both the PowerColor site and the Sapphire attempting to locate a vendor that is selling the HD 3850 AGP but without success.

IF ANYONE LOCATES A LINK TO THE ACTUAL SALE OF EITHER CARD PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK .

Thanks!

Tweaktown reports:

Both PowerColor and Sapphire help make it a bit easier with the release of their latest HD 3850 graphics cards which are designed for the AGP interface.

The PowerColor variant carries clocks of 668MHz on the core and 1656MHz DDR on the memory, whilst the Sapphire comes in slightly higher with a core speed of 700MHz and memory speed of 1.7GHz DDR

wow, if its true pretty impressive, do you mind linking us a link to that tweakdown report? Thanks, and good job on keeping this thread alive :D

wow, if its true pretty impressive, do you mind linking us a link to that tweakdown report? Thanks, and good job on keeping this thread alive :D

Gladly ;) http://www.tweaktown.com/news/8764/index.html
Am still trying to locate a link to the actual sale of either of these cards.

P.S. You don't have to wonder "if it's true" - it is.
Powercolor is already advertising it: http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?ProductID=1730

As for Sapphire, they too have announced it:

HD 3850 AGP

SAPPHIRE SUPPORTS AGP with HD 3850

Now latest graphics architecture fits legacy systems

SAPPHIRE Technology, industry leader in graphics solutions, has just announced support for legacy PC systems using the AGP graphics bus with a new product in its HD 3000 series which brings the latest graphics architectures and features to this industry standard platform.

The SAPPHIRE HD 3850 AGP is available with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, running at 846MHz (1.7GHz effective) and has a core clock speed of 700MHz. It is a standard ATX format card, compatible with the industry standard AGP interface and with its slim fan assisted cooler the card occupies only a single expansion slot in the PC.

The SAPPHIRE HD 3850 AGP shares the 320 stream processors and 512-bit internal ring bus memory controller of the latest PCI-Express models together with multiple rendering units and a programmable tessellation unit. This new product’s unified shader architecture with support for Shader Model 4.0 and the forthcoming DirectX 10.1 combine to deliver the most outstanding graphics performance ever available to AGP users.

Now manufactured in a new 55nm process technology, the GPU in the HD 3000 series delivers high performance with lower power consumption than previous generations. A new feature known as ATI PowerPlay actively reduces power consumption depending on loading. On the AGP model, additional power is required via the 8-pin PCI-Express connector fitted, which can be provided from a standard power supply with an adapter cable (supplied).

The SAPPHIRE HD 3850 AGP incorporates the latest ATI Avivo™ HD Technology for enhanced Video display and features a built in UVD (Unified Video decoder) for the hardware accelerated decoding of Blu-ray™ and HD DVD content for both VC-1 and H.264 codecs, considerably reducing CPU loading. Two independent display output controllers provide support for two dual link DVI displays as well as TV-out and HD TV options. HDCP is supported.

SAPPHIRE HD 3000 series graphics cards are Microsoft Windows Vista™ Premium certified and supported by the ATI Catalyst® suite of software, ensuring customers have ongoing access to software updates for performance, stability and added features.

Specifications: SAPPHIRE HD 3850 AGP

Model SAPPHIRE HD3850 AGP
Graphics Processor ATI Radeon HD 3850
Form Factor ATX 231.19 x 111.99 mm
Bus Interface AGP 4X/8X
Memory GDDR3 512MB /256-bit interface
Clock Speed 702MHz core / 846MHz memory
Cooling System Single Slot Active Fan Cooler
Bracket Full Height
Display Support DL DVI-I /TVO / DL DVI-IHDTV(via cable)
HDCP Yes
External Power PCIe Graphic External Power(2x4Pin)
Regulatory Standards CE; FCC; UL

Specifications correct at time of writing but may be subject to change.
All trademarks and registration marks acknowledged.

Enjoy,
Supersnake

How much of a difference would I see between this and a Radeon X1950 Pro card on a Pentium4 HT 3.46 GHz system with 2GB of Dual Channel DDR400?

Because if this is around 200-250 or so, and I can get my homie to buy my old X1950 Pro for 150 or so, I'm definitely gonna upgrade.

would replacing the x1950pro on my current rig (see sig) with the new 3850???

thanks a lot

also, price point?

My back up computer has my 7800GS, and I have my 9800Pro sitting in a box in my closet.

First post hooray!

thanks a lot

also, price point?
Not really a worthwhile upgrade for what it costs (considering what you have), not to mention I don't know of it in AGP. There are also other bugs/issues that have yet to be resolved that prevent this (and others) card being used in certain applications such as 3D mark.

thanks a lot

also, price point?

If it cost les than 220 it's gonna worth it. Also you may want to overclock that cpu for better performance. Don't pay attention for the 3dmark issues, for the time that the agp version hits the retailers, driver updates will be there fixing issues and nobody plays 3dmark anyways.

Not really a worthwhile upgrade for what it costs (considering what you have), not to mention I don't know of it in AGP. There are also other bugs/issues that have yet to be resolved that prevent this (and others) card being used in certain applications such as 3D mark.

Citation? sounds like a load of bogus to me.

If it cost les than 220 it's gonna worth it. Also you may want to overclock that cpu for better performance. Don't pay attention for the 3dmark issues, for the time that the agp version hits the retailers, driver updates will be there fixing issues and nobody plays 3dmark anyways.

thanks, yeah i doubt i'll get it if its over 249 MSRP....

as for the cpu, what kind of overclock should i expect running it aircooled with a nice zalman fan etc??

thanks again

as for the cpu, what kind of overclock should i expect running it aircooled with a nice zalman fan etc??

thanks again

It should overclock nicely, at least if it can run between 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz it will be okay.

thanks again

Well, at least between 2.4GHz and 2.6GHz will be okay. It's still a fast CPU anyways.

If the agp version don't come with 512mb they won't be worth it. Beyond 1280x1024, you need more than 256mb of vram

Club joined. My 2.8 Northwood's running a 128 MB 6600GT AGP, and my Core 2 Duo's running a 7800GS. If the 3850 AGP comes down to a more reasonable price point in time for my birthday six months from now I'll probably snap it up and give the Pentium 4 the 7800GS as a hand-me-down. Thanks for the thread, nvidiapwnsati.

If the agp version don't come with 512mb they won't be worth it. Beyond 1280x1024, you need more than 256mb of vram

Not really, with most cards the need for more than 256 really isnt until 1600+ resolutions.

hehe nice to know that there is dx10 for agp, thought agp will just be dead :p. I won't get that as my agp system has a amd 3200 and s939 :eek: lol and i have 2 pcie pcs already :) good to see that this thread is still alive :D

The wifes rig is still running a AGP EVGA 7800GS on a AMD S939 system, it works just fine for her needs......:D

I'm still running my (second, first one shat the bed after 6 months) All-in-wonder 9800 Pro in my P4 rig, it's about 4 years old right now and still chugging along.

Glad I found this club.

Here's my setup, as best as I can recall here at work:

I have this motherboard:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rg/

2gig of DDR ram, I have a Raedon 9800pro.

I want to get a new video card. I have a $100 to $200 budget.

I have it limited down to:

GeForce 7800 or 7900 GS AGP (cant seem to find these anywhere)
Radeon HD 2600XT
wait for 3850 AGP
or...?

What I want to be able to do is:
decent video editing
FPS games, namely CoD4 on medium to high video settings, Crysis (on whatever setting I can get away with), and games like this.

My questions:

What card would YOU recommend?
Am I going to see significant improvement over my Raedon 9800pro (which is still working fine on games like WoW)?

I can run FPS fairly decently now, but I want to extend the life of my computer by another year and I want to be able to play FPS games with the best graphics I can.

Glad I found this club.

I have this motherboard:

Radeon HD 2600XT
wait for 3850 AGP
or...?

decent video editing
FPS games, namely CoD4 on medium to high video settings, Crysis (on whatever setting I can get away with), and games like this.

My questions:
Am I going to see significant improvement over my Raedon 9800pro (which is still working fine on games like WoW)?

I can run FPS fairly decently now, but I want to extend the life of my computer by another year and I want to be able to play FPS games with the best graphics I can.
Uhhhh, good luck with that. I doubt Crysis will be playable on any card over 1024 x 768 on AGP

Uhhhh, good luck with that. I doubt Crysis will be playable on any card over 1024 x 768 on AGP

Ya, ya, lofty goal, but maybe just barely playable? ;)

Anyone have any suggestions for me? Really want to pull the trigger, not positive what my best avenue of action is. Thanks.

Crsys scales well in the low end its when you get to high and beyond it gets really bad.

My brother plays crysis on low at 1280x960 with an athlon 64 3000+, 1gb ddr400 and an x800xl.

Hi,
Just to let people know that crysis is still very playable on agp.

Asus a8v
Opteron 180 oc to 2880
3 gig ram
Agp x1950 pro 512mb running stock.

All game settings set to High and resolutuon at 1024*768.

Hi,
Just to let people know that crysis is still very playable on agp.

Asus a8v
Opteron 180 oc to 2880
3 gig ram
Agp x1950 pro 512mb running stock.

All game settings set to High and resolutuon at 1024*768.

High? yeah right :rolleyes:

I just upgraded from an x1950pro (PCI-E) in my system with an e6420 @3.2, 2GB DDR2 800 and it barely played it on medium at 1280x960 and once i got to the snow levels shadows would have to go to low or it wouldnt be playable.

Crysis is playable on AGP belmicah dont have the slightest clue what he was saying but i wont believe for a second you play crysis on high at any resolution with an x1950pro.

Runs great. What you believe is your problem but i may suggest that you have a configuration problem as gamespot had playable frame rates with an fx-60 and an x1900. I put a link to the article.

''The dual-core Athlon 64 FX-60 paired with the Radeon X1900 XT 256MB managed to run the game with high quality settings at somewhat playable frame rates.''

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182806/index.html

Glad I found this club.

I have this motherboard:

Radeon HD 2600XT
wait for 3850 AGP
or...?

decent video editing

My questions:

So what do you guys suggest as the best bang for the buck with what I have?

Thanks.

I just upgraded my system to a C2D/PCIe setup and have my AGP BFG 6800GT OC 256MB up for sale in the for sale/trade forum (shameless plug).

Prior to that card, I had a heavily overclocked 9700PRO, and the 6800GT was WAY faster.
I was just at a LAN party and were playing some games that I had never played.
COD4 was the main game. I was playing at 1280x1024 with all settings on high and it ran great. Crysis even ran well on low settings at 1024x768. UT3 ran perfect on high settings as well. I was actually surprised at how well it performed.
So based on that, I would say anything 6800GT and up would be a good choice, and it would more come down to how much you want to spend.

-Chris

Runs great. What you believe is your problem but i may suggest that you have a configuration problem as gamespot had playable frame rates with an fx-60 and an x1900. I put a link to the article.

''The dual-core Athlon 64 FX-60 paired with the Radeon X1900 XT 256MB managed to run the game with high quality settings at somewhat playable frame rates.''

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6182806/index.html

They got 19FPS thats what they meant by somewhat playable. So you just pulled up an article where a faster machine than yours got 19FPS to try and validate you bullshit?

Whatever you say :rolleyes:

With the 8.1 drivers - see test below: I'm not in the snow levels yet so my x1950 may keel over then, but at the present moment, the game is playable.

1/18/2008 11:36:44 PM - XP
Beginning Run #1 on Map-island, Demo-benchmark_gpu
DX9 1024x768, AA=No AA, Vsync=Disabled, 32 bit test, FullScreen
Demo Loops=3, Time Of Day= 9
Global Game Quality: High
==============================================================
TimeDemo Play Started , (Total Frames: 2000, Recorded Time: 111.86s)
!TimeDemo Run 0 Finished.
Play Time: 110.81s, Average FPS: 18.05
Min FPS: 11.33 at frame 150, Max FPS: 24.56 at frame 985
Average Tri/Sec: 17902848, Tri/Frame: 991880
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 0.92
!TimeDemo Run 1 Finished.
Play Time: 103.68s, Average FPS: 19.29
Min FPS: 11.33 at frame 150, Max FPS: 26.91 at frame 80
Average Tri/Sec: 19376556, Tri/Frame: 1004499
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 0.91
!TimeDemo Run 2 Finished.
Play Time: 103.36s, Average FPS: 19.35
Min FPS: 11.33 at frame 150, Max FPS: 26.91 at frame 80
Average Tri/Sec: 19450290, Tri/Frame: 1005190
Recorded/Played Tris ratio: 0.91
TimeDemo Play Ended, (3 Runs Performed)
==============================================================

Completed All Tests

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>>--SUMMARY--<<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1/18/2008 11:36:44 PM - XP

Run #1- DX9 1024x768 AA=No AA, 32 bit test, Quality: High ~~ Overall Average FPS: 19.32

I believe you, I was also able to run Crysis at 1024x768 with textures, Water, Post Processing on very high, everything else on high except shadows on medium, I did an average of 24fps, min of 15fps and a max of 30fps, not bad. Motion blur smooth those low fps quite good, it doesn't look and feel that's running on such fps.

Your 7800GT is so much slower than whats available on AGP...

Wait.... What interface was that 8800GT again? Exactly, do not try to troll me bud.
Enjoy your outdated cards that come out months after us PCI-e users get them.

Also, do not argue that; "OMG PCI-e r cozt us 2much muney!!311313233elventypointone" because it doesn't. Instead of getting overpriced cards just save for a motherboard, and then RAM, and then for a video card. Hell, a 7900GS is 180$ before mir, my 7800GT was 75$ SHIPPED, months ago!

I know you can buy a motherboard with the money saved.
Hell, better yet, get a motherboard with an IGP and save for a video card, wait, isn't that what I did, with no job and very little income? Also, DDR2 is way cheaper then when I got it!!!
I got it for 90$ from Newegg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back