• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AGP and PCI clock latency ?

tracerwilly

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
136
most of you already know about this so help me out, which in turn will help others starting out in o/c ing.

In looking for a good tweak utility to o/c my new 9600xt I came across powerstrip. Says 9600 series...good. Says 712/ 831 max...NO WAY hah. i set it at performance default 535/648 which is fine for me.

Now comes the interesting item. I see pci clock latency of 248 showing up. so naturally i unclick read only and lower it to 32. fine, all runs well no artifacts.

nforce2 400 board - SOOO my question is: does pci clock latency still affect the agp bus? my 3dmark scores were a little higher and the 9600xt was the only device that showed any latency at all. nothin to rave about but a nudge is nudge for somebody trying to o/c.
 
Most modern motherboards feature a 64 pci latency clock, though some older motherboards do have 64, and 32 and vice versa.
 
Originally posted by mattsmall
isnt it 66agp/33pci

Latency...not clock frequency. Think about ram for a minute. Say you have pc3200 - 400MHz. The ram may keep running at 400MHz, but there's latency settings you can adjust such as CAS. A lot of the time, the lower the better but there's still limits on what hardware can do what. For the pci bus, 64 can be used to increase stability/quality over 32, with a slight performance loss (really hard to see it). At least this is what I've always made of it.

There are a lot more settings than just 32 or 64, but they are less commonly used.

About whether of not if affects agp, I haven't really done anything with the latency settings since before agp was out. I'd be interested in this too. You'd think they could have more aggressive timings for the agp slot since it has one single purpose.
 
I just tested the setting of 96 latency up from 64 and 32 and I gained a few 3dmarks.
 
Originally posted by JackNapier
I just tested the setting of 96 latency up from 64 and 32 and I gained a few 3dmarks.

its 66/33 stock or there is something wronge with your mother board
 
Originally posted by mattsmall
its 66/33 stock or there is something wronge with your mother board
ONE more time, they're talking latency NOT Freq !
Latency is basicly how many clock cycles somethings gonna keep control of the buss before it gives it up to something else !!!
Take notes, there may be a quiz on Wed ! :) :)
 
Originally posted by oldbrave
Latency is basicly how many clock cycles somethings gonna keep control of the buss before it gives it up to something else !!!

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Its so hard to tweak that setting though. Guess it really just depends on what you do with the computer.
 
Back
Top