AGP 3850 Released

They won't support socket 939 1 more day then is absolutely necessary, but they keep AGP alive for no good reason. Watch people be upgrading from their 7950GT agp or x1950XT AGP and bitch about how they have no money to upgrade their system....

This is completely worthless and they will possibly end up loosing money in the long run by not making the cards PCIe.

The only decent system where this card won't be bottlenecked is a socket 939 NF3 (or via) AGP system with a dual core processor, and most people with high end NF3 systems abandoned them a long time ago.

Well,
I think I might have to pick one up along with a dual core in a few months to stick in the s939 nf3 rig in my sig.

Unless I come across a great deal on a NF4 Motherboard + PCI-E video card.

They won't support socket 939 1 more day then is absolutely necessary, but they keep AGP alive for no good reason. Watch people be upgrading from their 7950GT agp or x1950XT AGP and bitch about how they have no money to upgrade their system....

This is completely worthless and they will possibly end up loosing money in the long run by not making the cards PCIe.

The only decent system where this card won't be bottlenecked is a socket 939 NF3 (or via) AGP system with a dual core processor, and most people with high end NF3 systems abandoned them a long time ago.

amen on your 939 point brotha.

but AGP isn't a terrible idea. imagine for those who've stuck w/ AGP rigs up to this point to now be able to play new gen games.

AGP owners may not be as common as what you see on an enthusiast forum but they're still out there and to have this kinda gpu power to be availble to them is almost a monopoly for ati

well....you are entitled to your opinion. :rolleyes:

money is not the only reason why most ppl are still on AGP. I am still on agp because I have no need for any of the new stuff. I am happy with my P4EE @ 3.8ghz and 1950pro AGP. I WILL be getting a 3850 when it comes out. Hell, if they price them right i might get two or more. if you don't like the fact that some companies still support agp then thats your problem but all your bitchin' won't stop ppl from getting these.

well....you are entitled to your opinion. :rolleyes:

money is not the only reason why most ppl are still on AGP. I am still on agp because I have no need for any of the new stuff. I am happy with my P4EE @ 3.8ghz and 1950pro AGP. I WILL be getting a 3850 when it comes out. Hell, if they price them right i might get two or more. if you don't like the fact that some companies still support agp then thats your problem but all your bitchin' won't stop ppl from getting these.

Two or more? You do realize the main drawback of AGP is that you can't possibly scale the bus to more than 1 card, you got Athlon XP systems to upgrade or something :p .

When does it become necessary to upgrade your system so your CPU isn't the bottleneck? You play crysis or bioshock or UT3 recently, im pretty damn sure those games are down right restricted by your CPU, crank up the post processing, you will see what I mean ;) .

I realize people buy computers and expect them to have x years of life to them, and most cases thats true, you can get 2-3 good years out a "decent" system, but just because it says Extreme Edition on your CPU doesn't mean its the best anymore.

I am starting to think people who still upgrade their AGP systems are just doing it because they feel spited because PCIe was introduced, and are upgrading just to say fuck you.

Two or more? You do realize the main drawback of AGP is that you can't possibly scale the bus to more than 1 card, you got Athlon XP systems to upgrade or something :p .

When does it become necessary to upgrade your system so your CPU isn't the bottleneck? You play crysis or bioshock or UT3 recently, im pretty damn sure those games are down right restricted by your CPU, crank up the post processing, you will see what I mean ;) .

I realize people buy computers and expect them to have x years of life to them, and most cases thats true, you can get 2-3 good years out a "decent" system, but just because it says Extreme Edition on your CPU doesn't mean its the best anymore.

I am starting to think people who still upgrade their AGP systems are just doing it because they feel spited because PCIe was introduced, and are upgrading just to say fuck you.

Waaahhhh.....Why do you care? If my AGP system hadnt gone south, I would still have it and one of those on the way...But it did and I replaced it. They will have to too, at some point....But they wont have to right now.....

BTW, you are aware that most people only use one card in the computer, dont you?

I think he was trying to make a point that a lack of money was not the reason for not moving from agp to pci-e.

money is not a problem. plus, i like to keep spare parts around for a rainy day which is why i would buy a few. eventually the entire world will be pcie so i don't get ppl like Simpson5774. ppl like Simpson5774 bitch and moan in every "AGP" thread and act like they are doing the forum a great service.

Simpson5774, if you don't have AGP then don't worry about it. leave the nice AGP ppl be and go on your merry way. you should put all that energy into world peace.

amen on your 939 point brotha.

but AGP isn't a terrible idea. imagine for those who've stuck w/ AGP rigs up to this point to now be able to play new gen games.

AGP owners may not be as common as what you see on an enthusiast forum but they're still out there and to have this kinda gpu power to be availble to them is almost a monopoly for ati

youre right. enthusiasts arent that numerous either, but Im sure there are enough AGP users to justify a profit, and ATi is the only one selling to this niche market.. so they probably make good money from it.

money is not a problem. plus, i like to keep spare parts around for a rainy day which is why i would buy a few. eventually the entire world will be pcie so i don't get ppl like Simpson5774. ppl like Simpson5774 bitch and moan in every "AGP" thread and act like they are doing the forum a great service.

Simpson5774, if you don't have AGP then don't worry about it. leave the nice AGP ppl be and go on your merry way. you should put all that energy into world peace.

Fuck world peace, I need someone to point the finger at and blame, it makes me happy.

You haven't answered my question, why the hell would you want to extend the life of your antiquated system if its only going to cost you MORE money not less to extend the life of it? when theirs better pciE systems out there for cheaper? Please give me a reasonable answer to this question and I will shut up. I could find a new motherboard to resurrect my P4 2.4A, but I don't because theirs no point, so it can sit in my closet and rot. Just because money means nothing to you doesn't mean you shouldn't get every dollars worth.

To recap: AGP = dead, 3850 agp = waste of resources for ATi, NY Giants = #1.

LOL

Even though I don't like simpson way of expressing himself, I have to admit, changing the whole systems is a better idea. This is what I will do after my 9800 pro died :( instead of getting one of these.

Holy shit! My eyes have really been opened by the powerful arguments in this thread. I've never heard anyone say that AGP is dead and I should move to PCI-E before. Certainly not every fucking thread about an AGP card ever!

Holy shit! My eyes have really been opened by the powerful arguments in this thread. I've never heard anyone say that AGP is dead and I should move to PCI-E before. Certainly not every fucking thread about an AGP card ever!

Maybe if you go back to 2004 you will see meaningful topics about AGP and what card to get, but here in 2008 we hate AGP, atleast the PCI express owners, the socket is dead, get over it, and kindly give your money to intel / the people who further pciE development ;) . Hopefully we will be able to have 8 video cards in SLi with pciE 3.0, and further backwards compatibility.

AGP to PCIe was major change, hopefully for the next 25 years my 6800GT (don't use) and x1950pro pciE will continue to function in bleeding edge motherboards.

The market for a new AGP card that can play many of the newer games (albeit at lower res) is huge.
There are a ton of kids (and older folk) with an older PC that would love a card like this.

Not everyone has the cash to keep machines up to date, especially those machines that get handed down in the family. They will be able to do more / last longer now.
And happier kids = easier life lol.
An AGP 3850 will make a brilliant birthday/xmas present.

Please guys, whatever you do, check first to make certain the debacle with AGP drivers is sorted before spending your hard earned money. I recommended an HD2600 Pro to a friend for his 'warmed' over spare computer when the card was first released and it now sits in a drawer in his kitchen. He never did get it to work in 3D. Seems ATI and their partners released the HD2600 series with only working drivers for the PCI-E models.

You haven't answered my question, why the hell would you want to extend the life of your antiquated system if its only going to cost you MORE money not less to extend the life of it?

Seems to me like he's actually saving money by upgrading his video card rather than building a whole new system - which btw will be antiquated in the next few years anyway.

I see no problems with someone holding onto a 754 or 939 system with AGP moving to the 3850 for an upgrade. Systems based around those architectures still run programs and most games well. Why not try to squeeze all you can out of them?

Maybe if you go back to 2004 you will see meaningful topics about AGP and what card to get, but here in 2008 we hate AGP, atleast the PCI express owners, the socket is dead, get over it, and kindly give your money to intel / the people who further pciE development ;) . Hopefully we will be able to have 8 video cards in SLi with pciE 3.0, and further backwards compatibility.

AGP to PCIe was major change, hopefully for the next 25 years my 6800GT (don't use) and x1950pro pciE will continue to function in bleeding edge motherboards.

AGP Bashing is getting really old. Surprised people still get their rox off doing it. I would think you guys would have gotten over this when the last group of AGP parts hit such as the X1950 Pro, X1950XT, and the 7950GT. Now a decent performing DX10 capable AGP part shows up and it's still the same old song. AGP is dead, blah, blah, blah...You get over it

By the way there is already a thread going on about the HD 3850 AGP, so if you want to go trash and troll that one too, here's a link. I'm surprised you missed the opportunity ......

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1246999

Seems to me like he's actually saving money by upgrading his video card rather than building a whole new system - which btw will be antiquated in the next few years anyway.

I see no problems with someone holding onto a 754 or 939 system with AGP moving to the 3850 for an upgrade. Systems based around those architectures still run programs and most games well. Why not try to squeeze all you can out of them?

That's right. I like to think, and people don't understand this, if YOU are happy with YOUR system then that should be the only thing that matters. If it runs fine and does what you need it to do then that should be it and people should leave it at that. I am HAPPY with my current system and if $200 adds another year to it then that is a very cheap price to pay.

EDIT:

AGP Bashing is getting really old. Surprised people still get their rox off doing it. I would think you guys would have gotten over this when the last group of AGP parts hit such as the X1950 Pro, X1950XT, and the 7950GT. Now a decent performing DX10 capable AGP part shows up and it's still the same old song. AGP is dead, blah, blah, blah...You get over it

By the way there is already a thread going on about the HD 3850 AGP, so if you want to go trash and troll that one too, here's a link. I'm surprised you missed the opportunity ......

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1246999

hey, help keep the trash out ^_^

Yeah, sorry. I just saw that the link was actually posted on the last page anyway. :)

Amazing isn't it. On every single forum on the Net there's a thread regarding this New AGP Card, and everyone of them has turned to crap because of a few, it's pretty pathetic. It's probably the same group of people that picked on the kid wearing glasses in Elementary School.

That's right. I like to think, and people don't understand this, if YOU are happy with YOUR system then that should be the only thing that matters. If it runs fine and does what you need it to do then that should be it and people should leave it at that. I am HAPPY with my current system and if $200 adds another year to it then that is a very cheap price to pay.

EDIT:

I just made the upgrade to a pci-e mobo,8800gt,ram and a cpu and guess what................I WISH I WOULD HAVE WAITED FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 6800gt was jusssssss fine. IT would have been cheaper to just add a vid card and keep steppin but o well. I dont regret it but i wish i would have waited, i could have saved about $700. So to all the pci-e bashing the agp guys, just leave it aloneeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Did u agp guys know that u CAN have a C2D cpu AND a agp slotted mobo .There are many LGA 775 board makers that support agp a core 2 duo.

Maybe if you go back to 2004 you will see meaningful topics about AGP and what card to get, but here in 2008 we hate AGP, atleast the PCI express owners, the socket is dead, get over it,
Speak for yourself, while I am gaming on an 8800GTX, I still have a few AGP systems around.... I don't see any reason to put them to rest when they are still perfectly good machines.....and if I needed to upgrade one of them, I would buy this card in a heartbeat.

QFT

I built 2 socket 939 PCI-E systems over a year and a half ago ( 1 for a daily and 1 for a gamer ). I managed to pick up an X1950PRO agp for under $140 about 9-10 months ago. It was during the first round of CompUSA closings. My old socket A Barton, that I had used for years as a gamer, was rarely ever used. By upgrading to the X1950PRO, that socket A rig took on a second life. One time, a friend of mine had a major meltdown on his gamer and asked if he could borrow "my spare" so he could attend the next LAN and atleast surf the net. He was surprised that he was able to play every game that everyone else played at the LAN. Now, I get alot of requests to " bring my spare" to LANs ....just in case. Just in case someone has a meltdown, someone brings a friend who doesn't have a rig, we need a game server, or just need an extra rig for whatever. For a 4 year old rig, it does everything I could ask of it. If I had known that I could get this much longevity and performance out of my socket A, I would have skipped socket 939 altogether.

they realize the number of old, shitty used parts laying around and they realize that for the majority of the population these parts are perfectly fine. They also realize that the people using/buying these parts are using small monitors (19" 1280x1024) and don't want/have the money to spend on a PCI-E dual/quad core setup.

smart move on AMD's part, to me. There's a plethora of perfectly good, albeit old, hardware.

Maybe if you go back to 2004 you will see meaningful topics about AGP and what card to get, but here in 2008 we hate AGP, atleast the PCI express owners, the socket is dead, get over it.

Get over it man, not everyone wants or needs to upgrade. There is more to life than just games and computers.;)

As some one esle said, you better hope ATI make there drivers compable with the AGP 3850. Because if they dont. IT be like the problems people with X1950pro AGP are having with current ATI drivers. Where the drivers doesnt install, because it doesnt support there AGP X1950pro. seen quite alot of people that upset over that.

So might wanna be on the look out.

something of interest to point out on that subject, GeCube just announced they will also have a 3850 agp card, which is currently shipping. unfortunately no clock speeds were announced in the press release.

what they did say though was " GECUBE HD3850 graphics cards are Microsoft Windows Vista™ Premium certified and supported by the ATI Catalyst® suite of software, ensuring customers have ongoing access to software updates for performance, stability and added features."

hopefully this time around they work a bit better.

I've got two perfectly good dual Xeon machines (see sig) one of which is running at 3.4GHz which would be a perfect fit for one of these cards. Do I need it? Certainly not. Would I like one? Sure, why not? They will make really nice XP boxes that I can game on if I so choose. Kudos to ATI for supporting AGP. I will wait to see how drivers shake out, however.

I just made the upgrade to a pci-e mobo,8800gt,ram and a cpu and guess what................I WISH I WOULD HAVE WAITED FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 6800gt was jusssssss fine. IT would have been cheaper to just add a vid card and keep steppin but o well. I dont regret it but i wish i would have waited, i could have saved about $700. So to all the pci-e bashing the agp guys, just leave it aloneeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Did u agp guys know that u CAN have a C2D cpu AND a agp slotted mobo .There are many LGA 775 board makers that support agp a core 2 duo.

Don't feel bad about it until the driver issue is solved. The 2600 still doesn't have drivers, and the same thing could happen to the 3850 AGP. I'm a perfect candidate for purchasing this card for my X2 AV8 system, but it's a showstopper for me if they don't fix the drivers.

Ok, so Sapphire, PowerColor and GeCube are all making AGP HD3850 cards. If anyone finds reviews, please post links here. I'd like to get one of these cards, but want to see reviews first. I figure one of these will work better than my X850 XT PE for Vanguard.

Back