AGP: 3650 a downgrade from a 6600?

• Thread starter Deleted member 89137
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89137

So I got an ATi 3650 about a year ago for my moms computer. It had a 6600gt before and the fan was starting to go and was overheating so I replaced it with the 3650. Anyways I was messing around with her computer and it just runs the games I play horribly. Like worse than ever before. The only differences are the OS and the video card.

ati 3650 versus nvidia 6600gt

windows 7 32 bit vs xp 32 bit

specs in sig, 3.06ghz p4, p4g8x deluxe, 1gb ram...

I was playing WOW and I had to crank it to the lowest settings in order to get it to play smoothly. Should I try and revert back to XP? What gives?

well seeing how its your moms computer how often does she actually play WoW. otherwise no i wouldnt bother changing anything since a 3650 is more then enough for web browsing. and the 3650 is better then the 6600GT.

Consider 2 things.

Wow has been upgraded considerably with the recent release of Cataclysm.

1GB of RAM is very low these days for WoW, XP, or Win7.

I don't know about the 3650 but you already have a couple of things going against you.

I'm guessing you need more ram. Wow originally took 512mb to run way back when (technically 256mb, but it ran pretty bad like that)

With the expansions, and probably trying to turn up graphical settings, along with windows 7, you might be getting poor performance from a lack of memory.

I would say that the gains you'll get from adding more RAM, especially from 1 GB, will yield much more benefits than the video card. I've played WoW with onboard Intel graphics with really low settings fine before, but had 3.x gigs of RAM. I think it was a P4 @ 3Ghz as well.

Also, Tom's does their hardware upgrade recommendations every few months. This hierarchy chart puts the 3650 higher than the 6600GT. Not scientific, but at least gives you a rough idea : http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-recommendation-upgrade,2803-7.html

You need more ram. I've messed around with Windows 7 using different cpu / ram combos. You can get away using a single core cpu and 1 gig of ram but don't expect dazzling performance in anything. Bare minimum for a single core cpu would be 2 gigs. Even with that, the cpu was running pretty much maxed out most of the time. And that was just browsing, using MS Word and other basic stuff.

According to Blizzard to run WoW with Windows 7 they "recommend "....
- dual core cpu
- 2 gigs ram
- 256 MB GeForce 8600 or Radeon HD 2600

RAM. Even another 512mb will make a world of difference in everything in Windows 7.

If you take a Windows 7 machine and go from 1GB to 1.5GB it is like getting a whole 'nother machine. The difference is that noticeable from startup, to web pages, to office. Everything is so much smoother and faster.

get at least 2 gig of ram it is crazy how much having over 2 gig matters

also make sure you have your bios set right example if it is running it in agp 4x instead of 8x or doesnt support windows 7 fully make sure the motherboards drivers are installed right and your video card is tweaked well like turning off anti aliasing.

I had an issue where a dual core cpu would disable 3d acceleration with a ati card last time i will get a nvidia chipset if i can help it...

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I hope you guys don't think I'm this daft. It's a fresh install of windows 7 with the latest and greatest drivers off ATi's horrible website.

I would look into some other - older drivers, something from mid 2007, early 2008. That is when ATI stopped supporting AGP on their monthly releases. I had an AGP card back then, so I had to use like half a year old drivers by the end of it.

Back