Age of Conan is now FUBAR

There is no 15 second stun in the game, period.

More like the OP just got killed fast due to a combo.

Stunning Punch + Cyclone of Steel will generally wax most non-soldier classes if they get you with it. Especially if they get that offhand in there on a good roll. Unless you pop whatever heals and potions you have when it hits, but even then, it's probably all she wrote.

Watched a lvl 67 barb wipe his ass with an 80 Crossbow Ranger using that combo.

which was awesome, because the ranger was one shotting virtually everything that walked through the door into Noble District for about an hour before anybody came and did anything about it.

Stunning Punch + Cyclone of Steel will generally wax most non-soldier classes if they get you with it. Especially if they get that offhand in there on a good roll. Unless you pop whatever heals and potions you have when it hits, but even then, it's probably all she wrote.

Watched a lvl 67 barb wipe his ass with an 80 Crossbow Ranger using that combo.

which was awesome, because the ranger was one shotting virtually everything that walked through the door into Noble District for about an hour before anybody came and did anything about it.

Shit. I can't dual-wield, the combos don't work.

Seriously, my two-handed combos come out fine. Just today I macro'd them all so I could use my hand for other stuff like dodging, but even macroing the goddamn one-handed combos won't get them to work. How do you do it? It doesn't register if I press the buttons slow, or blatter them out as soon as it appears; every time it just fades away whilst my guy waves himself impotently.

bindings are screwed after the most recent patch, could have something to do with it.

On my barb, I open with two handed to stun or knockdown, then use Shift-R to switch to 1h-Dual wield and apply the hurtins' with those combos.

Might try putting it back to defaults (huge pain, I know) and seeing if that helps, but I'll tell you, even the default ones I use were being weird today.

And the lag was ridiculous up in the mountains.

we've had lag of pings upto 10,000+ occuring every hour or so, usualy follwed by disconnects.

That's nothing. When I played WoW back in it's infancy, I've had pings in the several millions. I used to have a screenshot of it.

Come back when you hit something like 15 million ping. :D I swear I went backwards in time with that ping.

View Post
we've had lag of pings upto 10,000+ occuring every hour or so, usualy follwed by disconnects.

This is due to their coding, and happens when an instance is closing with you in it.

bindings are screwed after the most recent patch, could have something to do with it.

On my barb, I open with two handed to stun or knockdown, then use Shift-R to switch to 1h-Dual wield and apply the hurtins' with those combos.

Might try putting it back to defaults (huge pain, I know) and seeing if that helps, but I'll tell you, even the default ones I use were being weird today.

And the lag was ridiculous up in the mountains.

Do you find dual-wield or 2H better? I've been going 2H for the reasons I mentioned, but wanting to try one-handers. The way I work it is to sneak, stun straight away, and then get stuck in with the massive 2H combos, but I'm wanting to try both: start with 2H, and when all the 2H combos are used, Shift+R and Shift+2 to my one-hand combo bar, and run through those.

I'm situationally dependent. Depending on what's being fought, or course. If you really want to piss someone off in PVP, stun them with your opener, then switch to Dual wield and pop Cyclone of steel on them.

It will make them so mad they might even make a forum post in RL about it ( =D Just teasin, Frostex)

But no seriously, I advocate getting good at switching between the two. I'm not specializing in anything but the Reaver spec, and my barb isn't my main so the intricacies aren't know to me really.

I'll see if I can get Renixinq to post about what he does. He rolls a barb as his main and loves it.

I renewed my subscription and don't regret it. I know the game is new and there's no way to really test a game like this in beta. I know there's lots of bugs and annoyances but I put up with them. This game has been a really fresh experience after playing WoW sense beta. Only thing I worry about is the stress I am putting on my keyboard with all the key presses I do. Sometimes even my fingertips get a little sore. Took me about 5 characters to at least lvl 30 before I found one I really liked, I now mostly play a lvl 42 Guardian. I am now questing in noble district and it is pretty laggy there. but its a pretty busy place, I am sure some coding clean up could really help things there however.
Yes there's a lot of problems, but I think Funcom is also doing there best to prioritize things and will get to things when they can, only so much can be done in a week, and yes new patches bring new problems, show me any MMO that has been able to avoid that, I don't think you will be able to find one.

Yes there's a lot of problems, but I think Funcom is also doing there best to prioritize things and will get to things when they can, only so much can be done in a week, and yes new patches bring new problems, show me any MMO that has been able to avoid that, I don't think you will be able to find one.

runescape. LOL

AoC started well...it's just gone to hell since release, the balance is way off and the bugs and connection issues are too much to bear.

I'd keep playing if I could find somewhere that sells the freaking subscription card.

Have been plaing aoc since day 1 and I just cancelled last night. I had enough. Core engine issues such as the memory leak, assertion failed error (which is caused by the memory leak) and other Bugs which still need addressing. Have given them over 2 months to fix that memory leak which is beyond excusable imo. That's something that should have been fixed in the alpha build.

Pvp which is boring as shit with no gear/rewards as of yet. Seiges lol lag fests, waste of time.

Pve who's gear is completely lackluster who itemization sucks for pretty much every class. The dungeons are very lackluster also. Wow's are much more well thought out and original.

Basically I feel no compelling reason to log in anymore. this is the first mmo where I'm not in a hurry to get to max level. I just don't care for some reason. Don't get me wrong the first 30 levels or so I loved it. The combat was cool and something fresh. Graphically the game looks awesome no complaints there.

I will check out WAR and ST:W in the fall. For now I'll probably re activate my WoW account since I was bored with it and took a few months off from it. Wow is still 10x the game aoc is or ever will be. Yes, I know wow is almost 4 years old aoc 2 months but imo 4 years for this game won't matter.

i have to agree, i got into the game about 2 weeks after release or so and it was fun during these first two months but now its starting to lose some of its luster of being brand new. brand new regardless of what it is (save os) always kicks ass but usually dies quickly there after :/

Myself and four friends that I dragged into the game have all uninstalled/cancelled. AoC has amazing graphics and sound, but after that, it goes downhill very quickly. We joined the top pve/seige guild on our PvP server after hitting the level cap. The seige PvP is poorly thought out and broken. The PvE is even worse. Yakhmar, the first raid boss is a very poor encounter. Kyllikki's crypt is/was buggy and lacks imagination. The game has a massive shortage of quests, too. There are numerous levels in the 50+ range and 70+ range, where grinding is the only option. The fact that the game did not ship with dx10 support is disappointing. Even worse than all of this is the pathetic mod./gm/customer service support. Age of Conan's only selling point is the graphics, but that certainly isn't worth $49.95 + $14.99/month.

http://www.xfire.com/games/aoc/Age_of_Conan_Hyborian_Adventures/

I thought this was an interesting chart. A month ago AoC had over 9,000 users daily on Xfire. It is now down to just barely over 7,000. The hours played per day has dropped 50% in that time. There could be several explanations for this, but it is interesting discussion material nevertheless.

I'm at lvl 80 with my conq, and the game has some great potetial. Yes, the game is still rough, 10k latency and instance crashes suck. Yes, there isn't much content in the game yet. Yes, there are some balance issues. The game is still young, and the way I see it, funcom has until WAR comes out to get their shit together. The game is still fun, and if they add the right things and fix the right bugs, the game with be great. I think many of you are forgetting the shape WoW, and all other MMO's for that matter, were when they were only 2 months old.

There is no 15 second stun in the game, period.

More like the OP just got killed fast due to a combo.

Well he stunned me and I hovered over the effect and it said about 13s left, and it had been in effect for about 1-2 seconds, so there is some kind of stun effect which is 15s, may he crit or something, point is, it's fucking stupid, end of story.

Have been plaing aoc since day 1 and I just cancelled last night. I had enough. Core engine issues such as the memory leak, assertion failed error (which is caused by the memory leak) and other Bugs which still need addressing. Have given them over 2 months to fix that memory leak which is beyond excusable imo.

It's only been out seven weeks. My maths isn't superb, but that's not 'over' two months, it's a fair but under.

Anyway: mounts are silly. They cost at least 3g, with 5g training on top and are available at 40. I'm 37, and I have been doing every quest available, looting until my inventory is full and selling the shit out of it every run, and buying nothing, and I have 22 silver.

The fact that you have to run everywhere means mounts are more than a luxury in this game, they stop you going insane. I don't know why they didn't decide to allow horses 30, so many silver, then the big mammoths and shit at 40 for whatever they already cost.

All that said, I'm not writing this off until it has a chance to establish some firm roots and such. It's the first frigging month, and it is an enormous undertaking to develop an MMO. Even the developers of this new warhammer one have already said they've bitten off more than they can chew, and anticipate a long period of adjustment before the game's 'complete'. There are some things you can't anticipate. People seem to forget that WoW - supposedly, I never played - suffered the same shit on release. The current GUI, for example, is a copy of what the modders came up with. I'm speaking to my friends who play WoW, one of whom ripped into AoC about how this that and the other was wrong and bad and WoW didn't xyz at start, while the other messages me explaining that he was talking shit because he never played from release.

Nobody's infallible, so I'm giving it more than the two weeks I've played to make my mind up.

Mounts are 2G and training is 1G but I agree with you that it isn't possible to get one in your 40s. I think I was low/mid 50s before I could afford a mount of my own. A friend of mine bought it for me when I hit 40 :D

...People seem to forget that WoW - supposedly, I never played - suffered the same shit on release.

No it didn't.

Wow had major networking issues due to the popularity of it which resulted in loot lag and some server instability.

Neither of those plague AoC. What plagues AoC is a horribly implemented pvp system, zero end game, and a broken siege system. Each patch breaks more then it fixes and as stated, they have been unable to address the memory leak and certain zone instability issues. They don't seem totally sure how or which direction they need to take their pvp system, they have zero communication, some of the worst customer service and almost as many exploits as Shadowbane had, but lacks the fun factor.

On Doomsayer we have whole guilds quitting and putting their cities up for sale, I'm not talking little guilds but guilds with 50+ members. Here is a post from one of the reasons why the largest and most active pvp guild on doomsayer left:

1> the laughable joke of a pvp system. every class has 3 to 5 abilities that they use for the most part. very few counters to things and as such every fight pretty much plays the same. very vey boring and lackluster.

2> the prevalence of one shot abilities in the game far surpasses that even of early vanguard. our guild is made up of veteran gamers for the most part that have been kicking peoples asses for a decade or more. it greatly annoys us when some newb trashplayer that in games past we would annihilate by the group full merely walks up and hits the last button on an air charged combo and instagibs us. total ****.

3> the game has absolutely no penalty for losing and no reward for winning. the boring repetitive pvp combat while not being fun would be acceptable if you could say.... loot your enemies or inflict some kind of loss on them. and by the same token a pvp system with no penalties while not ideal would be acceptable if the pvp combat itself was intrigueing and tactical in nature. however when there is both no risk/reward AND the combat sucks its just not any fun at all.

4> the game is a console game. load screens everywhere, button mashing combat system that belongs on something like a playstation. the linear game world, lack of open endedness, the fact each class has only a handful of abilities. the game was obviously dumbed down from the start so that it could be played via controlled on the xbox when it is released on that platform.

5> the core play mechanics of the game change patch to patch. every patch makes the game worse and worse which is a new direction given that most games, even the most horrible of them tend to make the game a little better each patch.... but no, not this one. whats more is that this amateur shitbag company does not even bother to tell you what they have changed in each patch. they mention the handful of positive changes but do not bother to tell you the negatives which are typically double in number. this ranges from class nerfs, basic world design and things that make the most tedious not fun and annoying aspects of the game draw out even longer.

Can't say Im surprised. These companies that ave never done big mmo's like this have alot of growing pains.

It's only been out seven weeks. My maths isn't superb, but that's not 'over' two months, it's a fair but under.

Anyway: mounts are silly. They cost at least 3g, with 5g training on top and are available at 40. I'm 37, and I have been doing every quest available, looting until my inventory is full and selling the shit out of it every run, and buying nothing, and I have 22 silver.

Well it's been in beta for ages, and out for approx 2 months if you count early access, a lot of these large game breaking bugs were around then, such as the female attack speed and were well documented, and nothing was done, they weren't even aknowledged.

The mounts cost 2g, and the training book is 1g, you wont have that amount of money by level 40 when you're allowed to use the mount, but you'll have it by about level 50, it's pretty reasonable, the distances you have to travel when you're 40-50 aren't that far, when you're having to travel at 60-70-80 thats when you really need the horse.

This just in: AoC done in a month.

...[Age of] Conan product manager Erling Ellingsen wandered by. You may remember Erling from the PVP video I posted a couple months back. Yes, he is just as glorious in real life.

So I posed the question to him. "When will Age of Conan be complete enough for a full review?" His answer? "About a month."So there you go folks, directly from the product manager. Age of Conan should be review ready in a month, when the PVP portions are firmly in place.

I really sympathize with Erling here. To have to stand there and admit that your game - already on retail shelves for nearly 2 months - will be finished in a month?
http://kotaku.com/5026221/funcom-+-age-of-conan-reviewable-in-a-month

ZING!

Well it's been in beta for ages, and out for approx 2 months if you count early access, a lot of these large game breaking bugs were around then, such as the female attack speed and were well documented, and nothing was done, they weren't even aknowledged.

The mounts cost 2g, and the training book is 1g, you wont have that amount of money by level 40 when you're allowed to use the mount, but you'll have it by about level 50, it's pretty reasonable, the distances you have to travel when you're 40-50 aren't that far, when you're having to travel at 60-70-80 thats when you really need the horse.

Mounts are now 75 silver, and the male/female attack discrepancies are gone. The tradepost interface has been revamped, and the GUI has seena couple of new features and options, apparently.

Seems like FunCom's been reading these threads.

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...ISH&template=news_features_game&selected=1109

Mounts are now 75s?

Fuck them for that, pardon my french. I just bought mine two days ago.

It's like the GTX 280 fiasco!

:D

OH HO! And they reversed their no Grey XP decision! I was right!

It's really funny to me that in something like an MMO people decide it's done before the first two months. I played SWG for almost three years, if I'd given up in two months, I would have missed a ton of fun.

Oh well, more phat lootz for me I s'pose!

;)

PVP xp is not in. Just the GUI. But they did implement invisible players so you can enjoy the fun of being killed by the invisible. And they slowed down folks using 1h weapons (2.0spd for everyone) while 2h weapons are <2spd.

Mounts are now 75 silver, and the male/female attack discrepancies are gone. The tradepost interface has been revamped, and the GUI has seena couple of new features and options, apparently.

Seems like FunCom's been reading these threads.

http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp...ISH&template=news_features_game&selected=1109

No the male/female atack discrepancies are not gone, the normal attacks have been normalised but the combos are still uneven, and you do 95% of your damage through combos as melee, so it's even close to fixed.

I'm done with AoC myself. Finally got rid of my sub. Not enough to hold my interest. PVP was the only thing that kept me playing longer than two weeks which grew old as well... add to that the constant changes made (which makes Eve's CCP look good). Community is actually not very good, at least the server I was on. Not enough content... period. Also, another big one for me is the fact that any siege PVP is actually instanced.

To each his own though; people that like it like it... those that don't, don't.

Mmm the entire guild of 70-80 im in and theres no one playing anymore :}

This game is going to tank, next hellgate :D

No the male/female atack discrepancies are not gone, the normal attacks have been normalised but the combos are still uneven, and you do 95% of your damage through combos as melee, so it's even close to fixed.

Good point, didn't see that.

That's more a reflection on the people than the game. People want everythign at the click of a finger, and aren't prepared to acknowledge that the developers aren't infallible.

If it gets too much for me, I'll just stop paying my subscription for a bit, but I won't uninstall.

been saying this for a while now. I had high hopes for this game but this is the worst implementation of a ffa pvp systems I've seen yet.

I know of multiple large pvp guilds on Doomsayer that have packed their bags and left entirely, and I'm not talking guilds with 10 15 members, I'm talking guilds of 50+ members. Xanit is gone and they had over 100 members.

People want everythign at the click of a finger, and aren't prepared to acknowledge that the developers aren't infallible.

I don't think that is the case at all. Many of us put up with horrible launches before. SWG, EQ 2, Shadowbane, and others if the game is fun then it is worth sticking around for, AoC in its current state is not fun, well for me at the very least and if I can judge from how empty many areas in Doomsayer and the amount of cities up for sale quite a few others, and isn't showing any real signs of improvement.

The thing with AoC atm is that is does have a lot of potential, but they have a lot of major issues to still work out, they still need to flesh out their pvp system, both on the pvp and non-pvp server, and basically they have a couple months to solidfy their player base before WAR and WoTLK come out, as well as LoTRO book 14 and expansion take their player base from them.

If AoC still has the amount of bugs and exploits as it does now when those expansions and WAR come out then AoC is going to look a lot like Vanguard IMO.

been saying this for a while now. I had high hopes for this game but this is the worst implementation of a ffa pvp systems I've seen yet.

I know of multiple large pvp guilds on Doomsayer that have packed their bags and left entirely, and I'm not talking guilds with 10 15 members, I'm talking guilds of 50+ members. Xanit is gone and they had over 100 members.

I don't think that is the case at all. Many of us put up with horrible launches before. SWG, EQ 2, Shadowbane, and others if the game is fun then it is worth sticking around for, AoC in its current state is not fun, well for me at the very least and if I can judge from how empty many areas in Doomsayer and the amount of cities up for sale quite a few others, and isn't showing any real signs of improvement.

The thing with AoC atm is that is does have a lot of potential, but they have a lot of major issues to still work out, they still need to flesh out their pvp system, both on the pvp and non-pvp server, and basically they have a couple months to solidfy their player base before WAR and WoTLK come out, as well as LoTRO book 14 and expansion take their player base from them.

If AoC still has the amount of bugs and exploits as it does now when those expansions and WAR come out then AoC is going to look a lot like Vanguard IMO.

I guess it's easier for me because I only started recently. I've already seen a load of changes since I started playing, so I'm not too worried - by the time I get to 80 I'm optimistic a lot more will have been tweaked. It must just suck for those of you that sweated it hard to 80 already.

What plagues AoC is a horribly implemented pvp system, zero end game, and a broken siege system.

WTF is with people and their rose colored glasses when they reflect back on WoW?

When WoW came out, they didn't HAVE a PvP system. There was zero end game (Molten Core was added in a patch, and Molten Core remains a horribly designed raid instance), and they don't HAVE a siege system. So how is that different?

Edit: woops, my bad. They did have MC in the game. So they did have some end game, it was just ridiculously bad.

WTF is with people and their rose colored glasses when they reflect back on WoW?

When WoW came out, they didn't HAVE a PvP system. There was zero end game (Molten Core was added in a patch, and Molten Core remains a horribly designed raid instance), and they don't HAVE a siege system. So how is that different?

Edit: woops, my bad. They did have MC in the game. So they did have some end game, it was just ridiculously bad.

Was WoW hyped up to be as big of a PvP game like AoC was? Not trying to flame or anything, just curious.

Back