AG coatings and the effects on image quality?

jt55

n00b
I came across people removing the protective AG layer on some monitors, seemed pretty crazy considering the risk but after seeing what this film actually looks like it starts to make sense.
Coming from a CRT where glossy coatings seem to be the norm I figure removing AG layer may be a worthwhile mod for the cheap LCD ill be using from now on...

Anyone know what sorts of positive effects on image quality this is likely to have, aside from less grain?
Any negative effects? Obviously aside from the reflections, which I'm well used to by now from the CRT.

From images the zero coating screen do look alarmingly reflective... unless theres something to show for it it could be a regretable decision.

Last edited:
I think YRMV is the answer - because the location of lighting, and even whether you are using the screen in a dark room or lit will inform you which is preferred.

I've never been impaired using a matte finish monitor - but I do work in a room with a mix of natural and artificial light.

FWIW - I remember people putting anti-glare screens on CRTs in the '70s

I got the display today (Dell 2413) and the AG is glossier than any other LCD ive used before... Although horrible aggressive AG coatings on early Dell's were one of biggest causes for people wanting to remove them apparently they went to the other extreme with this model. Zero reason to attempt removing anything

Back