• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AG Coating Paranoia - The Official Thread

As it was and it is now for the majority of consumers.
This funny incident has just underlined how exaggerarated the AG issue is.

Sure. I wouldn't touch it.
Dell has two models that can be recommended: U3011 and U2412.


I'm typing this while looking at 4 monitors, 3xU2412m and 1xG2220HD
After 7 mths of battling eye fatigue, I finally decided to do something about it, since I've been using monitors since the age of 5, that was 20+yrs ago, I've never had this eye fatigue issue.
So no, the AG coating on the 2412m is pretty noticable, just like the 27, just like the 30 inch, my frds has those, they're almost identical for the amount of ag coating used.

Can you guess which monitor I'm typing this on?
And no, the $100 benq isn't much btr, but at least I can stay on this thing for an hr without my eyes seeing shadows/blurr all around.

I am now in the market for a 120hz, since there seem to be no good 1920x1200 options, the sammy s27a850s' was an option, until i read about the # of times users had to return them before one of them is non-defective. Anyone has any good suggestion? I don't mind glossy, not that there are many of those around to choose from, 90% of what seem to be available and decent seem to be matte.
 
Just sent my dell u2711 back. Loved the monitor, and for games its great. But anything with a white background appeared to shimmer and gave me eye strain.

Looking at a s27a850d as a replacement.
 
Swapped my Dell U2312HM for a S24A850DW because of severe eye-strain when using the Dell. There's a little blb on the bottom of my S24A850DW but my eyes have never been happier :D.
 
I imagine I read somewhere at some point that heavy AGs secondary purpose, is to (weakly) compensate for the lack of polarizer, to reduce IPS glow. However, I regularly see loads of posts and threads around here, on the topic, but noone mentions this fairly would-be interesting fact. So was I dreaming this or is there some truth to it?
 
Does the coating also has a purpose of keeping too much light from getting to our eyes?
I started to notice that my eyes focus on just like a camera lens on the coating and i find the text blurry and wherever there is white text on very dark background i often find myself in the situation that i start to see the text double.
Seriously, are they doing this trick simply to not allow the eyes to distinguish the 3 RGB lines that create the pixel?
And seriously, will there ever be a24 inch 1920x1200 that is an ccfl ips and has absolutely not noticeable coating?
 
@cerbul
there is NEC 2490WUXi which is without a doubt the best CCFL 24"
it's said to have pretty good coating

@CrabJuice
coating have nothing to do with ips glow. It's not causing it nor compensating for it.
 
@cerbul
there is NEC 2490WUXi which is without a doubt the best CCFL 24"
it's said to have pretty good coating

I won't find a new one, and I don't risk buying used... So ye, I got NO options.
 
I know it's not 24" and it's not 16x10 (I want 24" 16x10 too), but the Viewsonic VP2365-led, that I tested a few days ago, had less agressive and no-grainy AG coating. I couldn't see any sparkling whites. It was still matte and not semi-glossy, although smoother than the coating I saw on U2412M and HP ZR2440W. IPS glow was really low too. Definitely liked the monitor and was about to buy it, but there was a small spot with somewhat stronger backlight bleed on the right side. Now I'm thinkig of checking another VP2365-led, hoping it will have less backlight bleed.
 
Back
Top