aftermarket cooler worth it? 8800gt

RM_Bulldog

Gawd
with fan set at 100% i get temps around 75-78c underload this i would like to see lower and maybe gain a few more mhz out of my OC are there any good aftermarket coolers that significantly outpreform the stock on this card? i looked at duorb and the
zalman vf1000 but read a few conflicting reviews on how well these coolers work on my card:( any advice is welcome :)

I love my akimbo cooler, but it isn't really worth the money if you're looking for higher overclocks. I only gained about 10MHz over my previous overclock, granted it was a much lower temp but anything higher just gave me artifacts. I'd save my money for a better card when the new ones come out if I were you :)

Yeah, I upped my cooling on my 8800gt. It's probably better to save up a little more and get another one for SLI if you have a capable board.

I only gained about 10MHz as well. The chips run hotter than previous gen. The stock cooler on the 2nd wave of 8800gt has a larger fan. I had one of the first wave 8800gt.

I'm running a DUOORB. The cooler works and all, but I'm not all that impressed. Temp wise I'm much better off than stock.

If you don't have SLI and are past your warranty, you can upgrade your cooler and perform a volt mod, that's the only reason why I'd get better cooling, and I believe the AKIMBO cooler would be the best for that, because it takes hot air out of the case. The DUOORB puts out alot of heat in the case, which sucks if you have bad airflow.

no sli here , i think ill save my money for a 260 or whatever comes after the 295 ;) u guys are right why spend 40-50 now and 250 in 8 months

I just tried a DUOORB on a 3870. It quited down the system considerably and also dropped temps 20 degrees on the gpu

im using a duorb cooler on my 8800GT idle 36C full load 48C(folding) 45C(gaming).. ambient 30C.. im also running the 1.1v mod at 790/1880/1010(folding) 760/1850/1010(gaming)..

the only downfall to the duorb is running sli is that it does take dual 1/2 slot.. it will rest directly on the back of the second card.. so if you have a motherboard with more then the normal amount of space between pci-e x16 slots.. then it should work in sli..

im using a duorb cooler on my 8800GT idle 36C full load 48C(folding) 45C(gaming).. ambient 30C.. im also running the 1.1v mod at 790/1880/1010(folding) 760/1850/1010(gaming)..

the only downfall to the duorb is running sli is that it does take dual 1/2 slot.. it will rest directly on the back of the second card.. so if you have a motherboard with more then the normal amount of space between pci-e x16 slots.. then it should work in sli..

Any SLI motherboard will have the slots spaced the same. SLI bridge only comes in one size.

when i got my 8800gt, it ran [H]ot! and was noisy!
popped on an Accelero S1 rev.2 + low speed fan
Super low temps and ultra silent
chopped almost 30c off load temps

72c to 44c

these are my temps with the duorb.. figure proofs better then typing out numbers.. to give you an idea on choices..

You should check out the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 rev2. It should significantly outperform the stock heatsink without a fan. Also, it only costs around $30.

Back