• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Afterburner locking up rig after reboot...

Stayfr0sty

Gawd
Joined
Mar 5, 2012
Messages
708
I was able to find an OC for my 5970. And afterburner works fine but it has one small issue. I remember with older versions it wouldnt remember clock speeds and voltage after reboot even if you checked the remember settings box.
Now it does that but thing is it causes a total hard freeze on my system on reboot most of the time.
Am I missing something?
The system is stable as long as I dont reboot. It only happens at startup, If I remove afterburner its stable again.
 
Hmm, that's interesting. A buddy of mine has been having this issue as well, but I never thought it could be related to Afterburner. I may have him uninstall it and see if his problem persists. I haven't been able to nail it down... (z68 chipset)

Have you tried a few different builds of Afterburner to see if there is one that doesn't cause the issue? Have you tried reinstalling your video drivers in the chance that something isn't quite right? I know these are generic responses, but I'm trying to offer any idea I can!
 
Tried both latest versions of afterburner and still same issue.
Its been happening with every video driver I have tried.
 
I was able to find an OC for my 5970. And afterburner works fine but it has one small issue. I remember with older versions it wouldnt remember clock speeds and voltage after reboot even if you checked the remember settings box.
Now it does that but thing is it causes a total hard freeze on my system on reboot most of the time.
Am I missing something?
The system is stable as long as I dont reboot. It only happens at startup, If I remove afterburner its stable again.

I'm guessing the OC you're trying to apply is not stable. Drop back to reference and then start working your way back up with a reboot on each change.
 
I'm guessing the OC you're trying to apply is not stable. Drop back to reference and then start working your way back up with a reboot on each change.

For testing sake I hit apply at startup with default speeds and it still locked up.
 
For testing sake I hit apply at startup with default speeds and it still locked up.

Well shucks... I dunno then. I tend to take the route of "simplest configuration first" when it comes to the this sort of thing. I would try cutting all of the system back to defaults and see if the issue persists. You could slap in a spare HDD and do a clean install of windows to it to see if it's eliminated by a clean system too...

:confused:
 
Well shucks... I dunno then. I tend to take the route of "simplest configuration first" when it comes to the this sort of thing. I would try cutting all of the system back to defaults and see if the issue persists. You could slap in a spare HDD and do a clean install of windows to it to see if it's eliminated by a clean system too...

:confused:

Formatted a couple of weeks ago and tried afterburner, still same problem.
This wouldnt have to do with ULPS would it? Thing is I heard you dont need to disable ULPS with new afterburner
 
Do you have Overdrive enable in the CCC?

Sometimes that conflicts with Afterburner and all hell breaks loose.

I am assuming you are using AB to overclock the card.

The 5970? Is that a dual GPU card? Crossfire and Afterburner also do not like to co-exist together.
I have not been able to get the recent iterations of AB to work with Crossfire at all, and it does have to do with the ULPS code in that case.:D
 
Do you have Overdrive enable in the CCC?

Sometimes that conflicts with Afterburner and all hell breaks loose.

I am assuming you are using AB to overclock the card.

The 5970? Is that a dual GPU card? Crossfire and Afterburner also do not like to co-exist together.
I have not been able to get the recent iterations of AB to work with Crossfire at all, and it does have to do with the ULPS code in that case.:D

Yes its a dual GPU card.
Will try disabling ULPS
 
Yes its a dual GPU card.
Will try disabling ULPS

Unless you really like Afterburner.... I do like the useage profiles and the FPS, you might have better luck with the Sapphire Trixx.

It has a disable ULPS tick switch and also seems to be better with Crossfire configurations, give it a whirl.:D
 
Afterburner is the only proggy that remembers my voltage and oc settings after reboot. Trixx doesnt.
In any case I disabled ULPS and now it seems to be working, I ve rebooted several times and its stable.
I guess that did the trick.
 
Afterburner is the only proggy that remembers my voltage and oc settings after reboot. Trixx doesnt.
In any case I disabled ULPS and now it seems to be working, I ve rebooted several times and its stable.
I guess that did the trick.

awesome.

yes, I do recall that the Trixx wouldn't hold the values on restart in the past....I'd heard rumor it was fixed....apparently not.

did you use the registry method to disable the ULPS?
 
Hmm either that proggy is buggy or disabling ULPS cant be done stabily on my rig.
Yeah I can boot at OCed speeds but games (both max payne 3 and battlefield 3) are freezing now, even at defaults. I renabled ULPS and they are still freezing, that thing borked my rig.
Gonna have to format now :(
 
Hmm either that proggy is buggy or disabling ULPS cant be done stabily on my rig.
Yeah I can boot at OCed speeds but games (both max payne 3 and battlefield 3) are freezing now, even at defaults. I renabled ULPS and they are still freezing, that thing borked my rig.
Gonna have to format now :(

woops.....:eek:
guess I'll do it the [H]ard way.
 
Hmm either that proggy is buggy or disabling ULPS cant be done stabily on my rig.
Yeah I can boot at OCed speeds but games (both max payne 3 and battlefield 3) are freezing now, even at defaults. I renabled ULPS and they are still freezing, that thing borked my rig.
Gonna have to format now :(

ouch :(
 
Back
Top