After Effects "out of memory" error? Help!

Jewball

Limp Gawd
So, I tried (After Effects 6.5) to render a simple 2D animation moving across a large 3D landscape that I had made in Maya. I had a fairly simple camera movement that panned the landscape from left to right. The whole composition was only about 30 seconds long, but about halfway through the render I would get an "out of memory" error.

I realize that I was exceeding the amount of physical RAM I had installed (2GB!), but I thought for sure that WinXP Pro would have been able to dip into virtual memory to complete the render, even if it did slow it down. I have two 74GB 10K Raptors in a RAID0 for gods sake. I tried reconfiguring the Memory & Cache settings (in AE) several different ways, and even upping the virtual memory in WinXP. But nothing worked.

So, is there any way that I can set-up my system to to complete the render from start to finish even after the 2GB is used up? Please help me!

Your running out of address space, not ram.

This is what 64 bit computing was designed for. ;) If that isn't an option you can use /3GB to give more address space to user mode.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I am not sure what you mean by address space...

BTW, my Shuttle only supports up to 2GB RAM, so I am maxed out right now. Which is why I was hoping that there is a system configuration fix.

Add the /3GB switch to your boot.ini.

Address Space is how much virtual memory your computer can address. Windows divides your address space in half, 2GB to user mode, 2GB to Kernel.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Back