After cold boot, time before safe usage in Windows 8.1

the_servicer

2[H]4U
After signing into Windows 8.1 Update 1 after a cold boot, I am surprised by how long it takes for the system to completely calm down. The storage LED will blink for a while and the cursor will show its multiple personalities for several minutes. The actual boot time is quick, but it seems to take much longer before the system is truly finished starting up. It's almost like I need to set a timer.

After signing in, how long should I wait before actually doing some like opening a browser window? Can I cause any damage or minor harm by starting something the moment the desktop first appears?

I have noticed that the system behaves more responsively the longer I wait. The machine is a new Asus notebook computer from the Microsoft Store. I try to be extremely careful with it. It has a low-end AMD chip, but I have kept it clean with minimal new software.

No, I highly doubt that opening a browser early does anything. I open Firefox the instant my computer logs in, it has had no adverse effects I can see thus far.

What I suspect is happening is that Windows is loading commonly used programs into the RAM. The RAM caching in Windows 8.1 is more aggressive than Windows 7, and probably the higher responsiveness you feel is because it was preloaded into the RAM.

Back in the old days, we liked to wait until the HDD finished flailing. I don't know how you young whippersnappers do it these days, as most of my Winderz instances are virtualized.

Modern operating systems focus on getting the user to the desktop as quickly as possible. They do this at the expense of some initial lag while it catches up on everything else afterwards.

There is no harm in using your PC as quickly as you like. Any actions you take will be timesliced in with the post-boot tasks.

You posted on a thread that had its last reply almost a year ago. You don't bump/reply to dead threads. That's what you did wrong.

aka: necrobump

Back in the old days, we liked to wait until the HDD finished flailing. I don't know how you young whippersnappers do it these days, as most of my Winderz instances are virtualized.

The young whippersnappers no long have hdds.

I don't get it. This was a perfectly good thread -- nothing "dead" about it -- and now it's derailed. Instead of talking about the subject at hand, we're now talking about how old the thread is.
So what do I do the next time I want to continue a discussion with pertinent information in a thread that already exists?

I don't get it. This was a perfectly good thread -- nothing "dead" about it -- and now it's derailed. Instead of talking about the subject at hand, we're now talking about how old the thread is.
So what do I do the next time I want to continue a discussion with pertinent information in a thread that already exists?

A thread that has not had any further contribution to it in almost a year is dead.
To answer your question with my opinion, if the OS will accept input then use it. If it is not ready to work it will not accept input.

Back