After Coins Crash, Will Mining Be Profitable

PCunicorn

[H]ard|Gawd
After LTC, BTC, and all the others crash, will mining be profitable? I'm pretty sure difficulty never drops, so if you spend $2 on power a day now and make $30, you would spend $2 a day and make $1, correct?

Do you know what you're talking about? BTC and LTC will not have a real crash. BTC basically had tons of chinese money leave it overnight and its right back over $1k

If you just mean GPU mining with LTC then When it gets even close to not profitable massive chunks of cards will be removed from the network which causes difficulty to drop back down then cards come back in. The only thing that can cause this is massive devaluation or something like an ASIC actually coming but that is a year or so out and even then it won't instantly cause the GPU's to not be worth mining on.

First off you are speculating that they will crash. There is no guarantee that they will crash again(although past shows it is likely to have drops some significant) but you can't really predict how high it will go and then how low it will crash so trying to determine that is pretty much guesswork.

As far as difficulty it can drop but it just doesn't often and doesn't seem likely at the moment. I doubt it will go so far as to be more expensive to mine than you make(except on power hungry gpus) simply because at that point people will move to more profitable coins dropping the hashrate for the coin which will eventually lower/stabilize the difficulty.

Edit: Looks like mkrohn beat me to it and I am just reiterating most of what he said.

Basically I was asking does difficulty drop and apparently it does. Thanks.

Basically I was asking does difficulty drop and apparently it does. Thanks.

Oh, yup it will automatically adjust difficulty every x number of blocks such that it tries to set the difficulty so that y number of blocks are solved every z number of minutes (depending on coin iirc, i believe BTC diff is set to adjust to try to get a block every 10 minutes).

I doubt it will crash with the recent Zynga supporting BTC payments mining WILL still be profitable.

define "crash"

I think wireless stocks will crash once this mobile phone craze runs its course and people come to their senses and go back to landlines.

define "crash"

I think wireless stocks will crash once this mobile phone craze runs its course and people come to their senses and go back to landlines.

Hopefully after that the "Industrialism" fad ends too so we can get back to the Agrarian lifestyle.

Back