After a years worth of heat based video lockups, do you think my video card is OK?

BobTheSlob

Limp Gawd
I have a 9800 Pro, and about a year ago the fan started to poop out on me. Over that year I've probably locked up 200 times. I've had fans blowing into my computer, I've had them off during the winter. I've had my case next to the window, I've had the sides on. A million lockups because that damn fan.

Do you think the chip itself is OK? My replacement fan is getting here in 2 days. Is it possible the card is damaged and will still lock up?

Perhaps I'm being paranoid. It still has the heatsink on it. It's not getting to melting temperature. It's just been hot enough to lock up about 200+ times. What do you guys think?

it may be ok it ay not be my old o/c gf4 ti4800 ran with no fan for a while and still locked up but i delt with it for over a year till i got sick of it and got an aftermarket cooler for it and its still running to this day

I think the real question is why did you run it that way for a year when replacement fans are $10. :eek:

just about to ask that. A whole year and 200+ lockups before you finally decide to change the fan? If it damaged itself over the year a new fan might not work now. Just hope and wait

Just wondering about a similar situation. I've not changed the oil in my car for the last 30,000 and have had several stalls and troubled starts.

If I change my oil now, is there still likely to be a problem with my engine?

Unlike the car, which was subtile sarcasm, your card should be ok, but it's life could have been shortened. But hey, you needed a good reason to upgrade to a newer card now anyways, right?

Whenever I want to upgrade, my wife finds that something in the computer is not working correctly any longer. Shoot dear, it must have burned up an needs to be replaced ;)

I'm just a lazy moron I guess. Plus I didn't really know how to find a replacement fan. The only website I've ever found was Directron and that's who I ordered from.

Back