After 6.5 years of XP, I move on

Freezebyte

2[H]4U
Well, I'm still amazed I made the jump. After the long hoolah and jabbering about Vista from haters and lovers from its beta days, to its unclimatic and tainted launch, the barrage of MAC hate adds about Vistas flaws to the updated opinions of folks on here about it after being fixed and tweaked and learning that some things simply needed to be "tried" before you can "judge" I decided that it was time to say goodbye to my faithful old friend, Windows XP Pro for the last time.

Me and XP go back to spring of 2002. I had built my first machine in the summer of 01 with 98 SE *Hey, I was learning back then!* After building my first machine and using it, I began to become VERY aware of the faults with the old OS to the point where I felt it was time to get something more stable and future proof. With some store credit and a student discount, I managed to snag the "Upgrade" of XP Pro for about $75. Thanks to the "trick" during install, I did a full rebuild on my system with the new XP and never looked back.

Today, I am amazed and thankful to the amount Windows XP has tought me about PC, Networks, machines, OS, software, drivers, compatibility ect..ect... From starting off with no knowledge of basic OS functions or differences to helping users ranging from mom and dad walkins at my first IT job to the multimillion dollar investment company IT structure that spans the globe that I help build/manage today, XP has been a big part of my life both personal and professional. I've seen the slow transformation of XP from the "red headed step child" of the OS during its youthful days to seeing the "dedicated" base of users who will not part with it at any cost. Amazing how time and use can change opinions, especially in the IT world.

To many of us and me included, we almost seem to encase our selfs in a "shell" of saftey and "comfort" after using an OS that we finally "mastered" understanding its flaws and utilizing its positivies. We don't like leaving that shell and when Vista began to threaten our "comfort" way of PC usage, it was such an easy target to compare the two intitially, even if that person had no first hand knowledge and/or experience with Vista, they just simply jumped on hate bandwagons like everyone else did, *me included*

Other then moving the mouse cursor a few times at store displays, I never gave Vista a fair try or decent sit down and use experience. Like many haters, I poo pooed it just cause it was the "in" thing to do *cough, MAC adds*. However, my viewpoint started to change with my plans for a new system build after 3 years since my last. With so much that had changed in 3 years to the hardware aspect, 6.5 years is a lifetime for an OS and after digging deeper into the mindsets of Vista users, I felt maybe it was time to give myself a new training course in a different and new OS. I had basically mastered XP in all the areas I needed to, but was feeling that if I didnt' expand my horizons and take on the challenge of trying the "new" OS of the future, I felt I was doing myself a disservice as well as limiting my learning potential and free training for my current and future jobs that will be including Vista usage for our clients.

Feeling it was time to give it the college try, I went all out and decided to also do the big "64 bit" move and join the revolution as it were in PC software, so I went with the Vista Home Premium OEM 64bit. It's time to find out about this 64bit world that AMD worked so hard to push for years ago with the Athlon 64 launch.

After my final parts arrived for my build Friday, I set out early Saturday morning to build my new rig. Once I had achieved *and breathed a sigh of relief* that my new machine booted up, I unwrapped the white box, popped open the case and slide the DVD into my machine and wondered how much time I was gonna spend troubleshooting/taking aspirin to get my machine running with this new OS.

To my amazement and damn near shock, the install went without a hitch. No strange error messages, no weird lockups other then some palm sweating black screen moments during the install, no strange layout or continual Yes/no setup procedure. Before I knew it, I was staring the Aero login screen in the face. Wow, allright then, but lets see what happens when we start to do the "driver" installs that people all over have stated have caused them to give up on ever using Vista again.

Once again, I didnt' receive one strange install message or abnormal behavior. Everything went streamingly smooth and much to my amazement, the install times were much faster then I had expected. I thought I was maybe loosing sense of time from staring at the monitor for the past 6 hours. However, I was surprised once again to find then when I installed my programs, the time it normally took with XP took damn nearly only half the time with Vista and launching was damn near insane as far as responsiveness. Wow, is this what the 64 bit buzz is all about? I could get use to this. :cool:

Before I knew it, my machine was fully loaded and operational. Wow, new hardware all around on a brand spanking new OS that I had no previous experience with and not a single lockup? A crash not in sight? No strange crypted BSOD? No under breath swearing trying multiple versions of drivers? This was almost....too easy! :eek:

Then I began the somewhat daunting task of familiarizing myself with the new "functions" and "layout" of Vista. I was impressed with everything seemingly in its "place" and even easier to do then I thought possible in XP. The only canveat was the half and hour trying to figure how to put in manual IP addresses in the "My Network" that I was so used to in XP world had no bearing in Vista land. That and the fact I couldn't get internet for a freaking hour no matter what I checked up until I decided to reboot did it come up functioning. Only then did I realize I shoulda did a reboot after installing the gigabit LAN driver earlier to prevent this:rolleyes:

To give myself a helping hand, I pulled out some older issues of Maximum PC and walked through the journey of learning Vista's way of doing things, as well as "tweaking/removing" some minor annoyances, like that mother fucking UAC. :mad: Jesus Christ Microsoft, did it ever occur to you that most users don't like continual yes/no questions?

Now i'm happily surfing, web browsing, listening to MP3's, watching my sidebar gadget for CPU/RAM usage while my machine chugs happily away with the smell of new silicon still in the air. I'm flipping through multiple windows with Flip 3D wondering how I managed without this. I have relocated and reorganized folders/gigs of pictures and movies that took mere minutes on the new windows layout and shortcuts. My game installs have gone flawlessy and even faster then I imagined. My system responsiveness and application loading is freaking light speed that I wondered how I managed to deal with XP all this time.

Needless to say, I'm one happy Vista user and I'm looking forward to beginning the next part of my life/career with this OS for years to come. ;)

Windows XP Pro
First loaded: March 2002
Last removal: Nov 2008

"It was an XP era, and it was good"

Glad to hear the install went as smoothly for you as it did me. It seems that after service pack 1, vista is a pretty stable and reliable OS. :)

Run your copy of Xp in VM, for when you get to feeling nostalgic. Or use Xp in a VM as a disposable OS. You know, for trying out software that may not be reputable or for browsing, ahem, the more interesting parts of the internet. ;)

keep in mind to use the 32 bit IE if you use that, the 64 bit one isn't compatible with a lot of add ons

Run your copy of Xp in VM, for when you get to feeling nostalgic. Or use Xp in a VM as a disposable OS. You know, for trying out software that may not be reputable or for browsing, ahem, the more interesting parts of the internet. ;)

AMEN. XP in a VM is awesome.. go go gadget OS as an application :). Virtual PC 2007 is free, and its awesome to have a sandbox for the occassional software that won't work with Vista or 64bit.

I dont think years since 7 will be out late next year.

Depends; especially since Vista and Windows 7 are pretty much the same underneath, running Vista should continue to be viable for some time. I don't intend to upgrade in a hurry myself, as the Windows 7 features announced so far don't seem like significant changes for me.

i will keep using xp until i am forced to change to vista, mainly because i am broke and i really, really, really dont want to format. And I also had a play with vista on the mother-in-laws laptop and tbh it didnt seem that bad, but i dont want to spend money on a new OS when i dont have to. I will continue to use xp until i have to format pretty much.

AMEN. XP in a VM is awesome.. go go gadget OS as an application :). Virtual PC 2007 is free, and its awesome to have a sandbox for the occassional software that won't work with Vista or 64bit.

It is indeed. Quadcore processors, cheap ram, and hell, $100 or so gets you a 750 gig hd these days. That has made Xp in VM a really nice app to play around with or just to help isolate the host system from whatever you are doing.

Vista is damn good, but I sure don't hold any grudges against Xp. It still has a useful place for the next few years imo.

eventually i'll try vista. i have 2 Q9450's and 4gb of ram for each (may up both to 8gb if i try vista). can i ask u for some tips? :D

i will keep using xp until i am forced to change to vista, mainly because i am broke and i really, really, really dont want to format. And I also had a play with vista on the mother-in-laws laptop and tbh it didnt seem that bad, but i dont want to spend money on a new OS when i dont have to. I will continue to use xp until i have to format pretty much.

I am broke also but I finally got it for free along with server 2008, which I upgraded. Got to love free:D

*snip*

To give myself a helping hand, I pulled out some older issues of Maximum PC and walked through the journey of learning Vista's way of doing things, as well as "tweaking/removing" some minor annoyances, like that mother fucking UAC. :mad: Jesus Christ Microsoft, did it ever occur to you that most users don't like continual yes/no questions?

You were doing just fine up to this point. Can I suggest you go read up on UAC, its function and why it was implemented. It is not there to hand-hold, or continually ask you yes/no questions. It is an important security feature.

Secondly, Vista doesn't need tweaking. It runs best if you just leave it alone and let it manage things.

You were doing just fine up to this point. Can I suggest you go read up on UAC, its function and why it was implemented. It is not there to hand-hold, or continually ask you yes/no questions. It is an important security feature.

Secondly, Vista doesn't need tweaking. It runs best if you just leave it alone and let it manage things.
Quoted for truth, listen to this guy. Use this app to put it in "quiet mode", but don't disable the whole thing!
http://www.tweak-uac.com/home/

Glad to see someone take the plung and find out there was nothing wrong in the first place. I've been using Vista close to a year now and I have never had any issues with it. I think like youurself, most people are just on the hate bandwagon when there really is no reason to hate it unless you running 10 year old hardware. Like XP, Vista scales really well even on low end machines. There really is nothing to fear. XP won't come murder you in your sleep if you switch.

@unknown-one:
holy god on the 5.0TB on your media PC!

I find it funny that you claim to manage IT in a "multi-million dollar company" but needed a magazine to help you disable UAC.

Also, anyone who has had x64 installed over the last two years could have told you the truth about everything you posted (ranted) about.

Well, Linux users don't seem to be bothered about typing in their password when they need to.
I find it funny that you claim to manage IT in a "multi-million dollar company" but needed a magazine to help you disable UAC.

Also, anyone who has had x64 installed over the last two years could have told you the truth about everything you posted (ranted) about.
Agreed. Otherwise, yeah, welcome to present :) You're spot on in many of your observations, but then XP x64 and all flavours of Vista have been perfectly usable for quite some time now.

If you do your research on things like hardware and software compatibility before you go buying new parts and installing new operating systems, you'll find that non-XP setups aren't scary at all.

I installed Vista x64 Ultimate on the rig in my sig about 2 weeks ago. Virtually no issues at all. Everything is running smooth as butter right now. :)

Last I heard, life was a continual learning process up until the point you die. Musta been nice to be born with all of your knowledge at birth, the rest of us have to learn it, even simple stuff.

MS has good intentions for UAC, but I don't want it annoying me for my own reasons.

This is [H], there is always a reason/excuse to tweak. :cool:

I installed Vista again this last weekend. My first foray into was annoying as hell.
I am still annoyed with Vista...mostly because MS likes to change things just to change things. I seriously couldn't figure out how to put a program in the startup folder in the start menu, so I just put it back to classic. I still have file permissions issues from files created from my old XP install like I did before.

UAC is STILL annoying as shit. Sometimes I get prompted 3 times just to move a file or install something. There has to be a better way to provide security without making you want to punch your monitor. Are you sure you're sure you're SURE you want to rename that potentially hazardous text file buddy?!? ZOMG!

I haven't done much gaming yet, so I dont know what my results will be there, but overall OS use/work related things are fast and I am liking the UI for the most part.

I just wish MS would be more consistent with where stuff gets put. Everytime a new OS comes out they feel the need to change the way everything is done, not because it makes sense but because it has to be different enough to warrant it. Maybe its a result of using 2003/XP for for so long change is hard.

If you are going to make us change, at least make the change make SENSE.

But since I am a developer and have 8GB of RAM and use alot of virtual machines, I think im stuck with it for now, might as well force myself to get used to it.

I'd reconsider turning UAC off. Honestly, once the installs and set ups are done it doesn't pop up much at all. And on the apps that still need it there are ways to grant it admin rights without getting the prompt. I use the Task Scheduler for that myself.

If the 80 year old lady in my office can work safely in XP with no UAC, the average [H]ardposter most certainly doesn't need it.

I disabled UAC on my computer. Not only that, I disable UAC on every computer I install / re-install vista on. I also disable security center notifications, becuase all my security software notifies me itself if it needs updating. Windows update still bugs me when I need to reboot as well. So Security Center and UAC got the boot from me.

+1 for the XP in VM idea. it is indeed a great way to protect ones machine from the "wild" parts of the web.

I use Sun's Virtual Box since it is free and more reliable than VPC. VPC actually broke my workstation at work. Had to uninstall it to get my network connection working again.

now all you need to do is set up your indexing and every file/program/os applet you will ever use will be a couple key presses away, Start-Search is worth the upgrade all by itself imo.

also, +1 for disabling UAC. some say it defeats the purpose bla bla, but I didn't upgrade to Vista for UAC and I couldn't care less, yea I lose IE protected mode but why would I even think of using IE?

now all you need to do is set up your indexing and every file/program/os applet you will ever use will be a couple key presses away, Start-Search is worth the upgrade all by itself imo.

also, +1 for disabling UAC. some say it defeats the purpose bla bla, but I didn't upgrade to Vista for UAC and I couldn't care less, yea I lose IE protected mode but why would I even think of using IE?

If you really really need IE use IE tabs in firefox (needed it for one site that I was using to learn sub netting).

BTW what as all that crock about Microsoft removing the start search in SP1 because of google? I still have it.

been dual booting both xp and vista 32 bit since sept 07 and i hardly ever boot into xp. all of my programs/games are in vista. looking back i don't know why i didnt' just vm xp. guess it was because of all the hollering about vista. but anyway it's time to move on. glad to see that you did and like me you're enjoying the heck out of it.

It's amazing to me, that on a [H]ardware forums, that so many people are running OUTDATED 6.5yr old OS.

Vista is fine, move on already!!!!!!!!!!

BTW what as all that crock about Microsoft removing the start search in SP1 because of google? I still have it.

You don't have a "Search" button any more like you used to. If you have a third-party program installed, since SP1, that can take over the Start Menu search, and Windows Search will reduce its indexing speed if another program is installed.

The other concession Microsoft made in SP1 was to allow antivirus software API access to some kernel features that were previously not accessible in Vista x64 (since tampering with the kernel is no longer permitted, a very good idea).

You don't have a "Search" button any more like you used to. If you have a third-party program installed, since SP1, that can take over the Start Menu search, and Windows Search will reduce its indexing speed if another program is installed.

The other concession Microsoft made in SP1 was to allow anti virus software API access to some kernel features that were previously not accessible in Vista x64 (since tampering with the kernel is no longer permitted, a very good idea).

That's just it I DON'T have any third party programs like that. I'm a plug in minimalist and I despise toolbar and search bars of any kind. I did a clean install a few months back and went right to SP1. If all they removed was a button that ain't much because its the bar that people see.

From what I've seen of Windows7 so far (Winsupersite have written a great Preview), it's essentially "Vista with tweaks"...so you Vista haters will have to stick with XP for another five years.. But it does look like they'll once again change how many things are done for no reason in particular. In the good old days, there was only the Windows way of doing things.. now stuff is done differently in XP, Vista and in the future, Windows7, which is kind of annoying. There are some features I miss from XP, some things I like about Vista and Microsoft will almost certainly also remove some favorite feature, trick or shortcut of mine in Windows7...

I found the start menu in Vista annoying at first because it utilized such a small portion of the screen - I mean, launching programs is one of the most common operations, why should I be confined to a tiny area in the corner of the screen? Since discovering Instant Search, I like it much better. To start Winamp for example, I just hit the WIndows-key and type "wina" then press Enter. Much quicker than looking for it in a big list of programs.

UAC actually makes me feel safer because I know exactly when a program is trying to change things it shouldn't. It's a little annoying, but you get used to it. Newer programs put their configuration files and such in the User's folder instead of in their own application folder, so as long as your software is up to date, you won't get that many UAC prompts. It's annoying when some old or poorly written program triggers the UAC prompt for no reason. I recommend you leave UAC off for the first 1-2 weeks while you install all your drivers and software. Then you can re-enable it because once everything is set up how you like it, you won't trigger the prompts nearly as often. As said before, OSX and Linux have had UAC-like features for a long time.

Salary jobs rule ;)

No they don't. I get paid 1 hour of overtime each night I'm on call regardless of whether I take a call or not. We're on call 4 months a year for the entire month. People still bitch about being on call. I'd be on call the entire year for 30-31 hours of OT a month. Stick that in your salaried pipe and smoke it :p

For the topic, enjoy. My wife decided she wanted a laptop and it came with Home Premium and I hated it. Then I got Business here at work, and ever since then I like it more and more each day. Yes I have UAC off, and no I don't care if I shouldn't. Thanks.

No they don't. I get paid 1 hour of overtime each night I'm on call regardless of whether I take a call or not. We're on call 4 months a year for the entire month. People still bitch about being on call. I'd be on call the entire year for 30-31 hours of OT a month. Stick that in your salaried pipe and smoke it :p

Sucks to be you, some weeks I only work 5 hours and still get paid for 40+ hours, of course some weeks im about ready to have a mental breakdown. Suck that smoke biatch ;)

Sucks to be you, some weeks I only work 5 hours and still get paid for 40+ hours, of course some weeks im about ready to have a mental breakdown. Suck that smoke biatch ;)

I was salary for 7+ years, I remember those days of 5 hours and paid for the entire time. Considering that I work level II helpdesk and the amount of OT I've had to put in is pushing me to 6 figures this year, I'll take hourly. :p

Back