After 2 years it's time for a reformat

The King of Pants

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, my Win 2k pro install has finally started to give me enough errors and strange behavior that it's time to blow it away and start over from scratch. Funny thing though, i haven't been able to find a step guide through google or anywhere else for that matter. Can any one give a brother a hand with a link to a guide with the said information?
:confused:

u need a guide to format?

well back up files that you want to keep, double check it, then boot your cd and whipe it... :cool:

Yea, if you just want to wipe the drive and reinstall windows, just boot off of the Win2K CD. The wizard is easy and pretty self explanatory...

Another method is to swap in a new/diff HD and format and install on that, then slave your original drive and copy over files you need. That way, there is no chance that you will have nuked important programs/files.

The reason you might not find a guide is because no one in their right mind would take the time to make one. If you need a guide to install an OS, you shouldn't be doing it alone anyway.

Backup your data, boot from the OS cd, and follow instructions.

djnes said:
If you need a guide to install an OS, you shouldn't be doing it alone anyway.

I would actually take exception to this. I dare you to install Linux with no experience and see it go perfectly.

Sure, Windows 9x, 2000 and XP are really easy to install. That doesn't mean it wouldn't seem daunting to someone who has never done it before. There is nothing wrong for him to ask about a guide to do it. Researching and being prepared is a hell of a lot better than jumping in and screwing everything up.

SmokeRngs said:
I would actually take exception to this. I dare you to install Linux with no experience and see it go perfectly.

Sure, Windows 9x, 2000 and XP are really easy to install. That doesn't mean it wouldn't seem daunting to someone who has never done it before. There is nothing wrong for him to ask about a guide to do it. Researching and being prepared is a hell of a lot better than jumping in and screwing everything up.

First off, installing Linux is pretty easy. My fiancee has done it twice on her laptop for a web development class, and she still needs help getting around XP.

Second, we were clearly talking about Windows OSes, specifically 2000 and XP. Therefore, I stand by my comments, and I take exception to you trying to start an argument by taking something completely out of context. Read the thread....it was clear what OSes we were discussing.

This is if you don't do it alot. I reinstall every 2 weeks or so which means im kinda used to it lol.

Step 1: Download drivers for all system components.
Step 2: Save save game/program profiles to seperate hard-drive or CD/DVD
Step 3: Save files such as music and videos to seperate hard-drive or CD/DVD
Step 4: Save any other misc files
Step 4: Check Step 1 through Step 4 just in case
Step 5: Check Step 1 through Step 4 again just in case
Step 6: Unplug all hard-drives except the one the OS is on. This is done just incase jumper settings or something accidently formats the wrong drive (better safe than sorry if your not 100% sure, i've seen less comp literate friends make stupid mistakes)
Step 7: Format/Reinstall
Step 8: Wait 4 weeks then proceed with Step 1 through Step 7

My best advice would be to get a HDD and store all your music/videos/drivers on it. I've got a drive which does this and it means when i reinstall all i have to do is double click down a list of files and my computer is reinstalled. From formating to fully reinstalled takes me about 90 minutes (including format time). Do it alot, it helps.

Back