After 17 Years, Mystery Science Theater 3000 Returns on Netflix

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Last aired way back in August 1999, MST3K is back with its eleventh season on Netflix and an all-new crew that includes the likes of Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt. As expected, the show continues its comedic tradition of mocking B movies. Those of you with fond memories of the original can let me know whether they ruined another classic or not.

Oh, man—the riffs are so good. If you were at all concerned that the latest MST3K would sabotage itself with all kinds of cool-seeking modern-day references, have no fear: While there are a few nods to the web era (Twitter, photobombs, etc.), they’re now simply part of the show’s decades-spanning pop-culture continuum—a mix of the obscure and the over-familiar from TV, movies, and music that fuels every great MST3K joke-run. In Reptilicus alone, the gang invokes everything from Lil’ Abner to Prince’s “Starfish and Coffee” to Carvell Ice Cream commercials to Sailor Moon.

I watched a clip of the show the other day, I think the movie they were "watching" was Stranger Things. Anywho, I went in not expecting much but came out laughing and wanting to go home and find it on Netflix.

I definitely need to start watching this. So many memories, can't believe it has been almost 2 decades.

Well, 20 years later I'm binge watching on Netflix instead of episode-by-episode on Comedy Central. Back then I would blow off lab and sit on the day bed with our dumb lazy cat. drink Shiner bock and laugh watching Manos, the hands of Fate. Today, I've got some Ballast Point, sitting on the sofa with lazy (kinda) smart cat, and it's Saturday so I don't have to go to work. I think they have kept the spirit of the show. Good stuff.

Heard of this but never seen it till recently. Seen most of the movies as they were anyway. I finally got to watch a couple a few weeks ago.

Can't really see what all the fuss is about. Not that funny.

Heard of this but never seen it till recently. Seen most of the movies as they were anyway. I finally got to watch a couple a few weeks ago.

Can't really see what all the fuss is about. Not that funny.

Different strokes for different folks.

This new lineup sucks because they sound wooden. The Joel / Mike and original bots magic is gone.

I enjoyed it, don't regret backing it. Jonah and the bots were not as good as the previous ones but still entertaining. The Mads were good.
Would like to see some more modern flicks, they didn't get anything past the 80's this season.

I think they should stick to "B" movies. Sounds like their going to be watching a lot of blockbuster shows and movies now which misses the point?

I think they should stick to "B" movies. Sounds like their going to be watching a lot of blockbuster shows and movies now which misses the point?
Not sure where you got that from. There was nothing blockbuster about the movies in season 11, the one just released. Here is the list if you want to see.

Not sure where you got that from. There was nothing blockbuster about the movies in season 11, the one just released. Here is the list if you want to see.

I thought this because of Stranger Things. Good to see that's not the case!

I thought this because of Stranger Things. Good to see that's not the case!
Oh ok, I think that was just a promo deal...........although I would totally watch it if they did stranger things. :)

They did a good job. It is certainly worth watching. I just think it is best in about 30 minute bites. Jonah is solid so far. I have yet to make it through the first episode but I am a very busy boy so yeah. If I even watch something with my limited free time. It has to be good.

The hercules in love movie was great. I read up on it... its an italian era "sandals and shield" film similar to spaghetti westerns since I noticed every set looked like moses and the 10 commandments apparently it was a big hit in Italy in 1960.

Joel can still write good riffs, Jonah is pretty good and the new voices for tom and crow aren't bad. Do not like Gypsy's voice and every time Felicia Day is on screen I want to claw my eyes out and jam sharp objects in my ear.
I think the new season is overall tolerable with good jokes, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself laughing throughout the movies.

This won't ever be as good as RiffTrax, Joel may be talented and the original but he just can't top the trio of Kevin, Bill and Mike especially because they've never stopped riffing since the show ended.

Back