Aerocool Deep Impact DP-102 Good or bad?

Linkin Park

Limp Gawd
I have a few questions if this Heatsink is any good. I read one review on it and it said that it worked really well. But i dont really trust reviewer sights, i kinda feel they take kickbacks so i was wondering if any of you have tried it and if its any good. Also what type fans that i should get. I want fans that have variable speed w/ a control knob so i can easily control both of them.

My next question is that this thing is freakin huge and was wondering if anyone has had any lucky fitting one of these beasts on a abit nf7-s v2.

Or would it be better to get an slk900?

I normally don't trust reviews on hsf that utilize heatpipes or the fancy heatpipes they call "superconductor tubes" (yeah, because I sit idle at my job doesn't mean I'm lazy either, it's actually called an efficiency expert thank you:) ). For one, by design heatpipes were made to work verticly. The whole idea behind it is that the liquid inside is heated to evaporation, then as it rises (due to the heat) it condenses (because it cools off at the other end of the heatpipe) on the top part of the heatpipe and runs back down to repeat the cycle. Now, since most people have their motherboard in a tower style case, a verticly mounted heatpipe on a heatsink won't do you any good since the fluid isn't working the way it was supposed to. I'm sure that some fluid would come in contact and evaporate...but not to the extent that the heatpipe was designed.

I say go with the SLK because unless your motherboard is mounted horizontally I don't think you'll benefit from a heatpipe.

PS...if someone can prove me wrong, by all means do it. I'm going by basic physics on the way objects are effected thermally.

Originally posted by nst6563
I normally don't trust reviews on hsf that utilize heatpipes or the fancy heatpipes they call "superconductor tubes" (yeah, because I sit idle at my job doesn't mean I'm lazy either, it's actually called an efficiency expert thank you:) ). For one, by design heatpipes were made to work verticly. The whole idea behind it is that the liquid inside is heated to evaporation, then as it rises (due to the heat) it condenses (because it cools off at the other end of the heatpipe) on the top part of the heatpipe and runs back down to repeat the cycle. Now, since most people have their motherboard in a tower style case, a verticly mounted heatpipe on a heatsink won't do you any good since the fluid isn't working the way it was supposed to. I'm sure that some fluid would come in contact and evaporate...but not to the extent that the heatpipe was designed.

I say go with the SLK because unless your motherboard is mounted horizontally I don't think you'll benefit from a heatpipe.

PS...if someone can prove me wrong, by all means do it. I'm going by basic physics on the way objects are effected thermally.

That sounds about right to me. I can't see how the heatpipe would work very well in a horizontal configuration.

K thanks for your replies, any good suggestions on what type of fan i should put on the slk. Im looking for one that you can manual control the speed of and could do at least 5200RPM and sound isnt an issue.

And this heatsink will fit on a nf7-s v2.0 Right?

Originally posted by Jason711
http://www.viperlair.com/reviews/case_cool/other/heatsinks/aerocool/dp102/index.shtml

looks to be better than the swiftech 462-v ... which is quite a feat..

i wouldnt mind getting my hands on one.. very difficult to find though.

edit... just found it at www.zipzoomfly.com

Those are difficult to find? My local Fry's has about 20 of them instock for both AMD and Intel.

I picked one up (to look at) because I was thinking "WTH is this?" hehe. I like the ability to mount fans to the side though. But the weight of it will be a bitch!

Originally posted by Spidey329
Those are difficult to find? My local Fry's has about 20 of them instock for both AMD and Intel.

I picked one up (to look at) because I was thinking "WTH is this?" hehe. I like the ability to mount fans to the side though. But the weight of it will be a bitch!

no fry's here in the midwest.. and i just now found a place to order them from. they can also be used for amd or intel.

have you used it yet?

Back