Adware Removal Software :(

D3v01D

Gawd
My wife's Dell has an adware infection I can't seem to remove.
Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D both have failed to remove it.
Also tried Microsoft AntiSpyware.

Can anyone suggest another alternative? Free or not?

TIA

It's adware, so it's showing me ads.

Already tried scanning in safe-mode.

O.K. I ran HijackThis and posted the results in the online result scanner and it shows no red entries. Nothing that should be removed.

What now?

Thanks

I had a problem with something like a few weeks ago on my work pc and tried everything like you, all the basics.. but I tried spy sweeper seemed to work the best...

but just for the trial...

The Other said:
I had a problem with something like a few weeks ago on my work pc and tried everything like you, all the basics.. but I tried spy sweeper seemed to work the best...

but just for the trial...

Spysweeper no longer removes files in the trial, have to buy it to remove.

I think I'm going to have her buy Spysweeper because I have the feeling we will need it again.

You know what, I've been seeing these damn rootkits w/ads more and more often lately. Scan it with this. Post back if it finds anything.

Oldie said:
You know what, I've been seeing these damn rootkits w/ads more and more often lately. Scan it with this. Post back if it finds anything.

Yea RootkitRevealer I'm gonna try that. Thanks

Spyware Doctor is by far the best spyware removal software I've used. If you want to buy Spysweeper do yoursef a favor and pick up Spyware Doctor from www.pctools.com. Before you buy it you can download it and see what it picks up, just to see if it's worth it to you.

My cousin came over the other night and I ran programs on her laptop for 12 hours with numerous programs and they all came back positive with different things. Don't rely on one program to get them all, it's not going to happen.

Here is a list of programs and utilities to scan for junk. Most of the other replies above me are lacking at best. CCleaner isn't made to remove spyware anything, the only thing it could possibly fix is by removing stuff from the Start Up list.

Anti-Virus: Free Programs and Online Scans
Avast! Anti Virus
You need to register this to get a product key. It's free and a very good program. With the key you are able to receive updates for one year. After the year is up, the program will tell you, you need to re-register. After that they email you a new key and you are good for another year. I use this in the 3 computers in my house and put it on every PC I come across.
AVG Anti-Virus
I used to use this program before I found Avast!. It's free with no need to register. You have to manually update it, which is sometimes a pain.[/url]
Trend Micro Housecall Online Scan
Easy to use and is relatively quick

Spyware/Malware: Free Programs
Spyware Blaster
This doesn't scan for spyware but actually tries to prevent it from being installed in the first place. You install it, run it and check for updates every so often.
A-Squared Scanner
You need to register this also but the licence won't expire until the year 3000. Well so they say, or until they get greedy or go under I suppose. It's a nice program but takes a long time to complete. Also if you cancel the scan after it's found something it doesn't give you the option to remove what it found so far. So basically you need to let it complete.
Trend Micro Online Spyware Scan
Fast scan, however I've noticed it picks up some false positives. Just be careful when you let it remove items.

Spyware/Malware: Trial Programs
CounterSpy
Yes it has the same scan engine and interface as the MS Anti-Spyware program but it is much better at picking up infections
ewido Anti-Malware
Updates, scans, and removes crap. It's a lot like A-Squared but faster.

I'm sure I missed some nice programs out there so feel free to chime in. It is in your best interest to run all these programs at least once. Also be sure to update them before you start runnign them.

Thanks for all the replies.

I purchased Spyware Doctor, installed, updated, and ran. It found all kinds of shitware on her harddrive. It cleaned all of it except Enbrowser, which I had to remove manually.

The initial infection seems to have occured when a "free" chess game was downloaded and installed the night before the problems began.

One item of note: While the comp was infected I couldn't update Ad-Aware, now that it's clean Ad-Aware updates no problem.

Thanks again for all your help.

I've started selling spysweeper to my clients that have problems keeping spyware off their computers. I first tried MS antispyware since it "supposed" to have real-time protection. However, either they are allowing things when prompted or ms antispyware isn't even detecting it. I suspect a little of both.

So, I sell them spysweeper for $15. It's gotten to the point where spyware is as big of a problem as viruses so when should business treat it any different.

Back