Adware explosion

Finn

Gawd
There's a worrying trend going on in current gaming industry. More and more games come with ad generating add-ons attached. This wouldn't be a problem as such unless they incorporate also a feedback route. This means you install a game you give consent through EULA to get spyware to your box. :mad:

Correct, it's still in the infant stages though, still a test to see how successful it can be. Being entirely against ingame ads myself, hopefully the campaign fails. But if worst comes to worst, and it becomes more prominent, then you can bet there will be ways to disable the ads.

I dont know, I dont mind em, at least in the way source uses em. The ads in valves games are never in places where anyone would ever shoot anyone else. That useless spot on dust 2 between Tunnels and T spawn (so useless infact we dont really have a name for it).

You can bet Ill stop playing a game where a combat seaquence goes something like this:

Wilson: "Geoff Geoff theres one long A and another on platform with the bomb planted!"
Me: "Ok, wheres Gin? hes pushing catwalk?"
Gin: "yeah but im waiting for you, jump in pit and pick the guys for me, the guy long wont see you and the other's ramp"

[jumps in pit]

Mr202020Sparkle205Bfor20meatfarley5.jpg

CS or CS Source? I uninstalled CS Source not too long ago, but dont ever remember seeing ads on it. Especially not in Dust2 or Office (all I played mostly)

CS or CS Source? I uninstalled CS Source not too long ago, but dont ever remember seeing ads on it. Especially not in Dust2 or Office (all I played mostly)

Source, 1.6 doesn't have the ads, nor does CAL, so its really a non-issue in anything thats of any real signifigence... so far.

I won't buy any game that has adverts in game that I'm aware of before purchasing, BF2142 and quakewars are imediately out, lucky for me they both look like total ass anyhow :}

I know that in game ads will eventually go too far, and be nothing but a hindrance and annoyance.. But ads could be done properly.. Coke machines instead of made up brand ones, billboards in the correct settings, a McDonalds, 7-11, or the like would not be out of place in a city environment.. Nor would seeing an actual Ford,Toyota, Chevy, BMW, etc. parked on a city street.. They could do this right, and have the ads and product placements actually add to a game's realism and improve the game experience.. I just don't think that it will play out that way..

I am totally against, and we will most likely end up with: loading screen ads that increase level load times, out of place, or irrelevant ads during game play, (a billboard in the middle of a jungle for instance), ads that download while you are playing an online game,(my pings and bandwidth already have enough problems), ads that detract from game play or get in the way, incorporating ads into a mission (having to collecting Levi's jeans and cans of Pepsi to use for trade in a Stalker/Oblivion like game or mmorg games to complete a mission or quest would be an example)..

I don't mind adds as long as they give me free games.

Take prince of persia, far cry, and raymen for example. I don't mind the 5 second loading adds, and there not in the level at all. It also helps the developer as it gets an old game more $$ for them.

Take prince of persia, far cry, and raymen for example. I don't mind the 5 second loading adds, and there not in the level at all. It also helps the developer as it gets an old game more $$ for them.

I support this for old games, I think its a good way for developers to see return on games which are older and aren't selling well. Adverts should be an alternative, and they should lower the price for the consumer, if they either of these 2 things stops then it becomes a problem in my eyes, as long as we have choice it's all good.

I support this for old games, I think its a good way for developers to see return on games which are older and aren't selling well. Adverts should be an alternative, and they should lower the price for the consumer, if they either of these 2 things stops then it becomes a problem in my eyes, as long as we have choice it's all good.

nevermind the chance to play older games without fighting the system to make them work. helps to have the people with the source.

These aren't free anymore. They were free for anyone who managed to get them installed during a 6 day window, though.

Back