• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice with new 6800GT

beck192

n00b
Joined
Nov 30, 2003
Messages
50
Ok, so I just got a BFG 6800GT, and I've got some problems. The first is that any time I try to change settings in CoD from the main menu it freezes, and I have to ctrl+alt+del out of it. The same thing happens when I try to quit the game. I've got the 61.xx drivers installed, will it make a difference if I go to the 66.xx's? If so, where's a good place to get them.

The second is that I want to override the refresh rate so I can use my desktop refresh (120hz) in games. With my old 9800pro that was really easy, but I can't quite figure it out with the Nvidia control panel. Do I have to select "override refresh rates" and then unclick all that I don't want to override?

Oh, and I completely reformatted.

Thanks for the advice!
 
Might as well trying updatng the drivers, altho thats an odd error in CoD, shouldn't be happening. Guru3d has pretty much any driver you want, can just look around. I personally like the 66.70's, they haven't given me any trouble in CoD.

The override thing is very easy, far easier/more powerful than ATi's in my opinion. Just go to refresh rate overides, click "overide refresh rates", then go to the resolutions you want to overide and select under "refresh rate" whatever refresh rate it is you want...IE 120hz at 1024x768, 85hz at 1280x1024, etc (or wahtever your monitor supports).
 
I'm guessing you have an nForce motherboard with an ATI video card. If so, known bug.
 
beck192 said:
Ok, so I just got a BFG 6800GT, and I've got some problems. The first is that any time I try to change settings in CoD from the main menu it freezes, and I have to ctrl+alt+del out of it. The same thing happens when I try to quit the game. I've got the 61.xx drivers installed, will it make a difference if I go to the 66.xx's? If so, where's a good place to get them.

The second is that I want to override the refresh rate so I can use my desktop refresh (120hz) in games. With my old 9800pro that was really easy, but I can't quite figure it out with the Nvidia control panel. Do I have to select "override refresh rates" and then unclick all that I don't want to override?

Oh, and I completely reformatted.

Thanks for the advice!

I have the exact same vidcard and if you have that insane refresh rate I would be suprised if you can overclock your bfgtech6800gtoc to ultra with the stability that I have. I say let the insane refresh rate go. It does not make that huge of a difference and a lot of games have thier own refresh rates that are unchangeable anyway.
 
goto download.com and search coolbits 2.0 and install it to really tweak your card. I would not recommend entech powerstrip with your bfgtech6800gtoc. Make sure you have really good airflow before overclocking to ultra. 400/1100. I have extremely good stability. I am ocing my p4 3.4 to 3.6 and I have not had one problem with this machine. ASUS rules!
 
Ludic said:
I'm guessing you have an nForce motherboard with an ATI video card. If so, known bug.

errr...learn how to read, bud... BFG 6800 GT with 61.xx driver versions? that SHOUTS nVidia.

cheers,

dave
 
What are you guys talking about? He said he had a 6800gt...thats not an ATI card. Secondly, refresh rate has nothing to do at all with the stability of the card, its purely monitor and ramdac dependent. Your card will support higher refresh rates than any monitor out, so no need to worry about that...just make sure you don't exceed the max refresh of your monitor at a given resolution, can cause damage.
 
When i got upgraded to the 6800GT from the 5900NU i used the same 61.77s but had problems quitting out of a halflife mod and initially thought i had a bad video card, etc. Well long story short after other small issues with joint operations i switched to 65.76 and my problems went away. Now of course i'm at 66.70 so. Try changing the drivers. Good luck.
 
Thanks guys...I'd like to be able to change some options:) My monitor's max refresh is 120hz, so no problems there. I'll try updating the drivers and keep you guys updated. I actually just copied my old config, and pasted it in for the game, so I'm running the same setting as on my 9800pro, but with AA and AF maxed out -- better performance. I can't wait until I can change the options and really crank this thing up :cool:

I'm going to let it burn in for a bit before I OC it though, afterall it's running everything great as of right now.
 
beck192 said:
I'm going to let it burn in for a bit before I OC it though, afterall it's running everything great as of right now.

Smart move I did that for about a month before I started tweaking it.
 
i say try the 66.70 its the fastest set out or the 66.73 little slower but WHQLed
 
Well, I popped in the 66.77's and everything is peachy!

The difference between the 6800GT and the 9800pro is pretty weird, I just sorta get full AA/AF for free. Games look nice:)

My favorite card ever is still my Ti4400 I bought way back in the beginning of 2002. Still runs new games decently...
 
beck192 said:
My favorite card ever is still my Ti4400 I bought way back in the beginning of 2002. Still runs new games decently...

Yeah, I have the ti4200. Best card ever. Its lasted this long and still handles games pretty well albeit without the eye candy. Still I hope this generation of cards will last as long as the ti4200 did.
 
Back
Top