advice sough - dying video card?

Momo

Gawd
Hey folks, i've got an HD5850 (XFX reference design) card that seems to be on it's last legs.

It was overclocked quite a bit, for quite some time.

The last 2 days it's been BSOD'ng if overclocked in games.

running stock, i'm getting 'flickering' when is witch context in windows. for example, if i open another browser tab, i'll get horizontal 'breaks' in the screen image momentarily when the switch is happening.

It happens a lot with some webpages as well.

Ditto for loading screens in SWTOR, even though it appears stable at stock clocks.

After the first BSOD, i reseated the card, re-isntalled the drivers, then updated to beta drivers... then it was stable. Next day, unstable. So i reverted to stock clocks/voltage.

it ran furmark under extreme burn in for a few minutes. no BSOD.

... so... is my video card dying?

ya, ok, having just posted the above, i ran furmark fullscreen / extreme burn in / max res, and the display driver died after a minute, with an orange screen. I was able to alt-tab, but i've got some graphical corruption going on on the desktop now.

yeah, man, that jawn is dying. you're in luck though, because now is a great time to buy a new vid card. what's your price range and how do you feel about nvidia/amd?

oh i'm definately going Nvidia this time around.

Just wish i could find an Evga GTX680 in stock.

i saw that. Awesome!

Now i just need to verify that the EVGA SC2 card is a reference PCB design (i've got a backplate a custom cooling solution to use on it)

Back