Advice Request

msbenso

n00b
My internet won't work on my computer. Says lan cable isn't plugged in, but it is. System restore won't fix it. I've tried a few reinstalls of software that didn't work. In Device Manager I have a yellow triangle over the bus controller. Lan cables I tried, work fine on other computers, so it's not a broken cable issue.

Could it be the ethernet port on my beautiful MOBO was broken by elves in the middle of the night?

My Rig:
CPU: i7
SSD: 2x256 in raid1
MOBO: asus z87 sabertooth

What's the best way to fix this? I don't want to buy a $10 lan card and clutter up my rig. That's sloppy. I'm crossing my fingers this isn't a hardware issue, b/c I obviously don't want to buy a new mobo.

My Plan: I needed a backup drive anyways, so I bought a 2tb seagate 7200rpm and tossed that into the rig. I was going to back up all my media and docs, and just reformatt to start fresh. Is this overkill for a potentially easy software/bios fix?
How do I get my computer to recognize this 2tb drive and use it as storage? I'm rusty. Do I need to unplug my 2xSSD's and plug in only my 2tb storage drive and install windows on that first? Then reorder the boot drive back to my SSD's and use the 2tb drive "as backup?" My plan is shit and I don't remember how to execute this HD stuff. Please master race, help me.

Back