Advice On Wireless Router 802.11g - Easy To Set-Up, Good Range & Bittorrent Friendly

sitalchauhan

Limp Gawd
I have just done extensive searching for the best wireless router, but I am getting conflicting views. Please could somebody recommend me a .g router with the following requirements?:

1) Needs to have a good range so can reach from ground floor into my loft bedroom

2) Needs to be easy to set up as this will be my first router, so I am very unsure about all the ports stuff yet.

3) It HAS to be VERY compatiable with bittorrent as bittorrent is often running on at least 2 computers in the network.

The 2 popular routers seem to be the Linksys WRT54G (easy to set up, but not very good with bittorrent apparently?) and the D-Link DGL-4300 (looks more advanced and hard to set up, but apparently best performance. Not sure about bittorrent compatiability though).
Please could somebody clarify if either of these has problems with bittorrent, and if they are hard/easy to set up?

If anybody has a router that they are happy with that meets the 3 main point I require and they have no problem with bittorrent, I would be very grateful if you could post the model.

Many thanks for the help,
Sital

The WRT54G will probably struggle if you have 2 computers slamming it with torrent traffic as that router is a couple of years old now. Newer ones have QoS abilities and are much better suited to the huge amount of connections you are going to hit them with. I'm running into traffic problems now - if I have a computer slamming the connection with torrent traffic the other computers can hardly even surf the web. I just ordered the newer model from D-Link, the DIR-655 which has all the capabilities of the 4300 but has an even faster processor and draft 802.11n support. The advantage is these offer true QoS abilities to set priority of traffic. In my situation I'm going to give http traffic high priority and give the torrent traffic the lowest priority.

I just went with a WRT350N and it arrived yesterday. I flashed it with DD-WRT right after getting it out of the box.
So far it's ok. They ares still in beta with with the compatible version, but of course will get better over time. I heard one of the programmers mention that the hardware is riveling most x86 routers. It has a 300mhz processor with 32mb of ram. I am not horribly interested in the draft N, but mearly wanted a good performing unit. It also seems like Sveasoft and DD-WRT people are jumping on this model and adding it to their personal inventory. That made me happy and further pushed my purchase of this unit. I am hoping it becomes with the WRT-54g in terms of support... ok maybe not quite that far :D, but hopefully does good. Oh, and also the built in switch has gigabit and it has a USB port to connect a USB hard drive or flash drive. Support is sketchy for it right now though. I hope to use it as a printer server if possible.

I'd look into it myself as the hardware specs are good :)

Thanks for the replies.
I think I have decided on going with the D-Link DGL-4300 because it seems to work best with many simultaneous connections out of all the popular routers. The WRT540G is apparently dreadful with bittorrent unless you flash the firmware to DD-WRT (something that I am not comfortable with since this is the first router I have ever got).

I think ill save the money and get the 4300 instead of the DIR-655, and then in a while when the final 802.11n spec is released, I will probably upgrade to a .n router to get better range through my house.

EDIT: I have created another thread about usb wifi adaptors as I need to chose one but have a few Qs:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030486261

I just recently picked up the 4300 myself and I must say I am damn impressed so far. I slammed it with multiple torrents on 2 computers at full speed without a hiccup.

Thanks so much for that reassurance, I was still a bit worried about it because I had not seen anybody personally say that they had no problems with bittorrent with it, but you have put my mind to ease :D

I have decided to buy the D-Link DGL-4300 now, but have a quick question about USB wireless adaptors. If you are using a USB wireless adaptor with that router, please could you post it here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030486261

Thanks again,
Sital

Back