Advice on wireless extender/repeater?

AjFreimuth

[H]ard|Gawd
So my father in laws house sucks for wifi. His router is in the den on the one side of the house. By time you get to the living room which is about 30ft away you have barely any if any singal....

What would you guys advise to get/use to help with this?
He's using his modem/router for wifi it's an ATT 2wire modem/router.

Which I had for many years in my newer built home and never had an issue even when I had it in my basement and getting a connection to almost the end of the block.

Building materials can absorb and deflect signals. Interference from everything to the microwave, light bulbs to even electrical wiring can diminish a Wi-Fi signal. There may be cases with some homes in order to achieve connectivity throughout the residence to install Wi-Fi repeaters\additional APs.

When I did integrated systems installs, in big million dollar beach homes. We used Airport Extreme N routers......for a 5 story 8800sq ft beach house (given no insulation) I would get 3-full bars no matter where in the house. We put it on the 3rd floor IT closet. Worked perfect. They run hot, but do not seem to mind.

edit: Location of the wifi router is key. You should find middle ground to install it.....as if you put it in a corner room you're allowing some signal to leak outside on your yard.....wasted leak of wifi. If you have to run some cat6 from the modem to the middle of the house to plug into the router i'd say do that. If not, try a better router.

double edit: In one of our off site locations where I work we have a basic 2 wire gateway setup (much like you're describing). We had to turn it off because it would only broadcast out 19 feet. So we bought a cisco WAP and it gave us over 80 feet of radius.

Last edited:
Back