Advice on WIFI antenna....

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
Greetings everyone.

I am looking to get the best wifi antenna i can get for the best reception. I have a strange situation, I live across the street from where my wap is, the house I live in does not have the internet, but my buddy has Comcast cable and I help him pay his internet bill each month in order to share the network. I am looking for the best antenna I can get for my desktop. I have a directional antenna right now that I replaced my stock antenna with, and it does an alright job, but I am looking for something better.

I am currently looking at the NETGEAR ANT2409 Indoor/Outdoor 9 dBi Omni-directional Antenna from newegg. It seems to be the best so far that I can find.

I don’t want to spend that much money, but if it is going to give me greatly improved signal then I will be willing to spend more on a good antenna.

Any help would be great! Thanks

you should get him to position the router to make your reception better. You are after all paying for some of his internet bill :rolleyes:

there are sites that tell you how to make a good WiFi antenna for cheap

mike_6289 said:
you should get him to position the router to make your reception better. You are after all paying for some of his internet bill :rolleyes:

there are sites that tell you how to make a good WiFi antenna for cheap

yah i have tried that, but those can antennas just dont seem to work well at all, at least in my experiances with them.

We are limited in where to place it, because since its a cable modem and all it has to be at least 4 feed from a cable outlet.

have you tried using different firmwires for the router? What is the router anyway? Over the summer, I had a linksys WRT54G and I was getting crappy signal so I upped the strength of the signal by installing a new firmwire for the router. worked pretty well. Try that out before looking into the purchase of a new antenna.

Back