• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice On Upgrades Please

Zayla74

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
64
Hello All. I need some advice on upgrades Im about to do, or second opions rather.
this may be a bit lengthy but bare with me please.

For reference my OC is sitting at a 1:1 ratio 3.6Ghz Vcore 1.24V.
Ram is Corsair DHX PC 6400 2X2GB kit. (rated 4-4-4-12 / 2.1V)

I posted about an issue a while back, where I have never been able to pass Prime 95 64bit OR getting my RAM to run at advertised timings of 2.1V 4-4-4-12.
Even tho It would pass at these timings on MEMTEST 86+ for hours.

I did however get it Intel Burn test stable at 5-5-5-15 2.0V however (800Mhz) and where its been running. I was thinking there may be a CPU issue or MOBO issue.

Out of boredom, I took out 1 stick, set it at 1:1 ratio / 4-4-4-12 (2.1V) 800Mhz.
It failed 1st pass. Took that stick out and replaced with other, and low and behold, it ran 30 tests no issues. Even at 5-5-5-18 2.1V and 1066 speeds. (tho its 800 RAM)

SOOOOO Im guessing even though the 1 will run stable at 5-5-5-15 800mhz, its bad as it will not run at advertised, or at speeds much faster.

So im thinking about replacing the RAm.


Question 1:

Get a 2x2GB kit at 800 4-4-4-12 timings OR will I see any benifit from moving to a 1066 kits 2x2gb which are at 5-5-5-15 (18)? Beyond simple stuff, I game mostly with the rare video encoding.
(and I do mean rarely once or twice a month)


I thought about the 800 kit only switch to OCZ like these :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194 <which are what I have currently>

Or the 1066 Kits Im looking at are these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145197

TBH, My OC will like stay as is at 400 FSB (3.6) or possibly a bit higher (3.8ghz).
I can pull these off at fairly low Vcore so I wont go higher as my gets hot summer and heat becomes a issue if much higher :( Either way, even at 3.8 were only looking at 840 ish RAm speeds at 1:1

So, will the 1066 actually benifit me?
i know Ill have to run at higher than 1:1 ratio OR will the ddr 800 at 4-4-4-12 timings acutally be the same?



Question 2 is about my GPU. I have a 3870 now.

Im really interested in the Sapphire 4870 Toxic 512.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102796

Im guess this will be enough as I play at 1440x900 res with no immediate plans for upgrading monitor.

OR dual 4850's in crossfire?
ATM 4850 Crossfire will run about $50 more. Thoughts?


Sorry so lengthy. And Advice appreciated. Thanks!
 
question 1: id say go with the corsair dominator 2x2GB ddr2-1066 if your using a 64bit OS already.. relisticly 5-5-5-15 isnt that much slower then 4-4-4-12.. if you can get the cas down to 4 (4-5-5-15) then you will pretty much get the same real world speeds.. with ddr2 thats all that really matters.. in gaming you wont see all that much of a difference between them..

btw you could always bump the voltage up on your memory a little and see if you can get the 4-4-4-12 timing.. try 2.2v or 2.3v if it wont work at 2.3v then just stick with the 5-5-5-15 timing at 2.1v.. <-- try this at the rated 800mhz not 1066.. if its at 1066 then 5-5-5-15 is the fastest timing you will be able to get..

question 2: and if your only playing at 1440x900.. then id just go with a single 4850.. theres no reason to go with crossfire with a resolution that low..
 
Thanks for the response. I have tried DRAM voltages up 2.3 already :(
the one stick is perfectlyu happy and content at 800 4-4-4-12/2.1 OR 1066 5-5-5-18
The other gets very moody beyond 800 5-5-5-15. :(

Ok, so as far as GPU, the 4870 wont help much over the 4850 at 1440x900?

And also, will there be much differnce from the 3870 -- > 4850 at this res?

Thanks again.
 
over the long term the 4870 could be a better choice.. but price to performance the 4850 is the best bang for the buck.. between the 3870 and 4850 you should see a much more consistant frame rate with the ability to turn your graphics up.. while even possibly using higher AA settings.. not to mention its a nice overclocking card which will get you even closer to 4870 level performance..

as for the memory.. sounds like you have a bad stick on your hands.. though im not sure how long it will last.. could quite possibly last for ever at 5-5-5-15 timing.. but if anything id just upgrade now if you have the money instead of waiting to see if that stick eventually dies before upgrading..
 
For the reso. you are playing at the HD4870 is the best choice. DDR2 1066 at looser timings is a better choice then ddr2 800.
 
Back
Top