Advice on sound cards

Bearpaws

n00b
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
3
Hi, I could use some advice regarding sound cards. I'm soon getting a Sennheiser PC 360 headset, and I have heard from several sources that you get the most out of it if you have a good sound card. Now, I am no audiophile by any means, but I would like to get the most out of my headset.

For several years now I have been using the Steelseries Siberia V2 with the Steelseries USB soundcard.

What I would like to know is, should I get a better sound card than what I have, or is the one I have good enough?
Also, if I do need to get a new sound card, could you recommend some good ones that aren't too expensive, within the 30-80$ range, I would prefer external USB ones I think, but I can make internal ones work aswell.
And last, the Steelseries USB soundcard comes with virtual 7.1 surround sound, which sound good with music to me, but is that something I should go for? Is it considered good with music?
 
A creative Zx will give you much better sound overall. Especially gaming sound. For music, you really should use stereo. For games too btw. WIth the 360s you do not need to use fake surround. Stereo is surround sounding when you have a good pair of headphones.
 
Thank you for the replies, I'll think about it some more, but the Creative Z looks fine for my needs, I don't need the audio control module that comes with the ZX.
 
Keep an eye out for a used X-Fi Titanium HD also. It's DAC is comparable to the one in the ZxR, but being an older card, you can often find it for half the price or less.
 
That's okay, I can get it cheaper in Denmark (Where I live), the fees and shipping costs raise it to 100$ for me.
 
Back
Top