Advice on sending text between PC's?

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a few systems here, and often i'd need to send a string like a URL link, an initialization code, an SQL string, or whatever.

What i've been doing is that each of my computers (including my phone and iPod) has their own Yahoo Messenger account that i can send to.

I'm getting an android tablet soon and that probably means i'm gonna be making yet another YM account (There's a YM app for android right?).

It works... mostly... but i do wonder if there's a better way? Or is this common practice?

Also, there seems to be some sort of glitch in the iPod's Yahoo Messenger app. Sometimes, if it had been on standby for a while, i'd be sending one message after another to the iPod, and nothing happens, i can send from the ipod to any of the PC's, but can't seem to receive anything. Several minutes later i suddenly get *all* the messages on the iPod at once. Any way to avoid this?

Are you trying to communicate command line instructions between devices? I'm confused what you are trying to accomplish. It almost sounds like you just want to think of something, jot it down, and share it with your other devices? Why do you have to resort to YM and why do you need multiple accounts?

I was thinking maybe just a note.txt doc in Dropbox or something would be simple enough. Or if you want it to be totally universal, write a simple webpage that connects to a database. Keep it really simple and you could access it on dumb phones even.

Are you trying to communicate command line instructions between devices? I'm confused what you are trying to accomplish. It almost sounds like you just want to think of something, jot it down, and share it with your other devices? Why do you have to resort to YM and why do you need multiple accounts?

Lets say i'm making a webpage. To initiate the various functions while i'm making it, i tend to put commands on the URL string to skip the intro pages.

ex:

h-t-t-p-://192.168.1.150:1234/caiman/cms.html?mode=25&userid=kl231st2&serial=2312&param1=headliner&param2=mydate

That's quite a mouthful when trying to send to the iPod for testing.

I was thinking maybe just a note.txt doc in Dropbox or something would be simple enough. Or if you want it to be totally universal, write a simple webpage that connects to a database. Keep it really simple and you could access it on dumb phones even.

Hey not bad! I can make a shared notepad out of PHP and actually store previous entries.

You could make a page on the site that contains links to the various places you want to test. If you add the parameters to the links you can skip right to where you want to go as well as have easy access to multiple locations to test.

You could make a page on the site that contains links to the various places you want to test. If you add the parameters to the links you can skip right to where you want to go as well as have easy access to multiple locations to test.

Yeah, I'm going to do his suggestion and make a php that accepts whatever I input into it and displays it as either an areatext for whatever I paste, or displays it as a link if it detects that I entered a URL. And listed with the latest ones at the top of the generated web page.

With that I'll just have to bookmark it and keep recalling.

There's lots of utilities to do this; ClipPool, for example. ClipMate is very good.

At work, I use InputDirector and two machines with two 30-inch monitors. It's a great program, and I'm super-productive with it. If you have a similar setup, you'll find it very handy -- it bridges the clipboard across the machines it is controlling.

If you're already developing web sites, why not just hack together a little PHP script & host it on a local machine. Make it print the last 10 or so strings pasted into a text box.

Back