• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice on PSU upgrade

Sickb0y

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
2,352
First my system specs

E6600 2.4 @ 3.4
gigabyte DS3 mobo
4 x 1 gig of OCZ ddr2 ram
watercool (processor and northridge)
1 x Laing D5 Vario/Swiftech MCP655 Inline 12V DC Pump
3 x 500 gig sata 2 hds
X-FI extreme music
4 x 20x DVDRW's (2 sata, 2 ide)
6 x 120 mm fans (3 on the radiator)
1 x 80 mm fan
PSU: ocz 520w modstream

As you can see very old system I just finish selling my 8800GTX bought a ATI 4850X2
was wondering if my current power supply can handle the new video card?
I was thinking of upgrading to this
OCZ OCZ600MXSP
or a used Corsair CMPSU-750TX for 80.00.
I would like to spend 150.00 or so on a brand new PSU but since I just shell out of over 2000.00 on tuition I seriously can't afford to spend too much on a new psu :(
Any recommendations?
Thanks
 
The Corsair PSU would be a much better choice than the ModXStream. I recommend that you go with it if you're okay with spending the extra cash.

And I wouldn't recommend that you keep your current PSU, since it's an older model and not that great of a PSU altogether.
 
get a pcp&c or corsair or antec. those are you best choices for now IMO. look for single rails
 
Thanks for the advice, do you guys think this would be enough to power the new video card PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w EPS12V (found one for 50 used) ?
If not then I guess ill give in and buy something for 120.00 and not eat for an entire week ;p
 
Thanks for the advice, do you guys think this would be enough to power the new video card PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610w EPS12V (found one for 50 used) ?
If not then I guess ill give in and buy something for 120.00 and not eat for an entire week ;p
Yes, that would be enough.
 
Back
Top