Advice on network storage setup

rpeters83

Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2009
Messages
513
I currently do not have any sort of NAS devices on my network. I currently have 2 old PCs that I use as servers for various things (web, email, dhcp/dhs, hyper-v, storage, backups, etc).

SERVER - IIS/web, Hyper-V (Plex, owncloud, spamassassin, among others), movie and media storage drive/share

SERVER2 - Crashplan backups, 5 USB HDDs of varying capacity for backup storage and other misc storage

Two hard drives in SERVER have failed or are failing (the 3TB media drive and a 500GB drive holding my VHDs and web instances) and am going to be purchasing new drives, but I'm curious to see if a NAS solution might be a good move for me, given that I have 2 servers now that can serve up shares to the network.

I currently have no RAID setup, but am not sure if I need one considering I have both local backups as well as cloud backups of everything.

I still plan on keeping an internal drive to replace the 500GB, but I'm curious if throwing my growing media drive onto a NAS would provide benefit or make no difference between that and just plugging them into my SERVER.

Thanks.
 
Back
Top