Advice on network setup

leonemesis

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, I don´t post around here very often, but I figure I could use some advice from the experts here!

First off, I´d like to tell you guys the current setup we have at the company I work. As follows:

- 1 IBM server with Windows 2003 configured as domain controler and DNS service
- All workstations have Windows XP and are connected the domain
- The DHCP service is handled by the adsl modem
- 2 ADSL connections (Main is 5mbps and the other is 2mbps)

The thing is, we want to setup an internet server, so I was wondering what´s the best option here.

Basically my questions are:
- Should I go for a linux setup or can I use ISA Server (though I´d have to study how to use that)

- Should I have the DNS and DHCP service at the domain controller or should I have one (or both) of those services shifted to the internet server?

- Do you guys know of ways to improve (considering the use of the internet server) the webpage loads ("surfing the web" let's say) and use of voip software like skype?

- We have a backup internet connection and most of the time it is not used at all, is there any way of setting up the internet server to use both connections at the same time (maybe not like joining them for extra full speed, but as ways of balancing the load)? I´ve seen some kind of hardware for that, but don´t know if it any good.

Well, guess that´s it, the rest I will probably figure out as I do it. Thanks a lot for your time guys.

- The DHCP service is handled by the adsl modem
- 2 ADSL connections (Main is 5mbps and the other is 2mbps)
what are you using for a router ... many of your questions will depend on this. Also do you have a pool of static global IP addresses?
- Should I have the DNS and DHCP service at the domain controller or should I have one (or both) of those services shifted to the internet server?
depends on what you have for a router, and what type of logging you need
- Do you guys know of ways to improve (considering the use of the internet server) the webpage loads ("surfing the web" let's say) and use of voip software like skype?
I don't quite understand your question, but it sounds like you need advice on QoS/Bandwidth limiting (though using a fast DNS server such as OpenDNS will help as well). You will need a router that can handle QoS; there are a lot of open source software distributions such as pfSense that will work just fine.
- We have a backup internet connection and most of the time it is not used at all, is there any way of setting up the internet server to use both connections at the same time (maybe not like joining them for extra full speed, but as ways of balancing the load)?
Yes, depends on your router, though unless you are running BGP with your ISP, which, is unlikely with DSL connections, you are not going to be able to load balance incoming traffic, nor will you be able to 'fail-over' your external website to the backup connection.

There are also hardware and probably software load balancers around, but I don't have much experience with.

No more than 20.

I am going to go ahead and jump to suggesting Untangle as your router solution. They have failover / wan load balancing that is either released or will be out this month, and QoS with the ability to reserve bandwidth for voice pools. I think you could get away with the free version with the $10-25/mo add on for load balancing and fail-over.
http://www.untangle.com/WAN-Balancer

what are you using for a router ... many of your questions will depend on this. Also do you have a pool of static global IP addresses?
depends on what you have for a router, and what type of logging you need I don't quite understand your question, but it sounds like you need advice on QoS/Bandwidth limiting (though using a fast DNS server such as OpenDNS will help as well). You will need a router that can handle QoS; there are a lot of open source software distributions such as pfSense that will work just fine.
Yes, depends on your router, though unless you are running BGP with your ISP, which, is unlikely with DSL connections, you are not going to be able to load balance incoming traffic, nor will you be able to 'fail-over' your external website to the backup connection.

There are also hardware and probably software load balancers around, but I don't have much experience with.

Thanks a lot for your input. As for a router, we have a standard Siemens model, it´s a SpeedStream 4200, probably the only decent one we have available here in Brazil.

The only static IP´s we have set are the server and a printer (HP laserjet 2014n). Logging is not really a concern, the thing is, I was just wondering which would be the best (or correct) option, since I want things to work flawlessly. I suppose I should shift the DHCP to one of the servers, I think the router should be capable of handling it, but I guess I don´t really trust him, haha.

Well, sorry, I understand I was not very clear about that, but you got it, the thing is, from what I´ve read about QoS, you reserve the bandwidth, but that means that when doing other things you´re limited to 90% (let´s say) of the total you have, isn´t it? Isn´t there a way to make it use 100% when you´re not using the specified service, for ex. Skype? So whenever someone makes a call, he gets like 20% of the bandwidth for that, but as the call ends, that 20% becomes available to other services again. Well, guess I may be asking too much of things, haha

I really doubt brazilian ISP´s would have those if it´s unlikely in USA´s ISPs.

Thanks again for your input, really appreciate it.

I am going to go ahead and jump to suggesting Untangle as your router solution. They have failover / wan load balancing that is either released or will be out this month, and QoS with the ability to reserve bandwidth for voice pools. I think you could get away with the free version with the $10-25/mo add on for load balancing and fail-over.
http://www.untangle.com/WAN-Balancer

That´s really interesting, I think it might work, gonna give it a shot once I set things up. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Back