Advice on Network backup Software

Grentz

Fully [H]
Hi all,

I recently aquired a Intel HotSwap Raid System that will have a few scsi drives in raid 1 on it. I am looking to use it as a network backup and was curious if anyone had some advice on what to use.

I have used veritas, and I do not really like it that much.
I saw Acronis True Image and it seemed like it could be good.

The main thing I want is a Server Client setup, so that there is a server program that runs on the Backup Server, and than backups ups the clients (with or without a client program).

Veritas Backupexec.

But it might be out of your price range.

I've been using Retrospect, originally a product of the Dantz corporation. Recently they've been bought out by EMC Insignia

http://www.emcinsignia.com

Retrospect has the client/server aspect you mentioned, as well as having the benefit of being cross platform, a must in the educational market.Their SQL backup client is easy and works flawlessly too.

My favorite aspect of Retrospect is the ease of backing up to disk. I'm sick of shuffling tapes.

Thanks for the tips. As I said I use Veritas a lot for clients, but I do not really like it that much as it is SQL based and is just annoying at times.

Thanks for the tip on EMC, never heard of it, but I think it might be what I am looking for!

PS Has anyone used Acronis True Image?

2nd vote for Retrospect. I'm the 3rd week of my trial and am impressed so far. It's DIRT cheap compared to Veritas as well. We run Backup exec here and I cannot wait to burn the boxes they came in.

CommVault is another heavy hitter, but make sure you're sitting when you get the quote. It aint cheap.

I like ViceVersa, pretty simple to use, but still powerfull.

3rd for for Retrospect. It's a great server/client backup program. You can backup any client to any type of server. We use it to backup PCs to a Mac server. Occasionally the server loses sync with a client, and you need to go in and drop the client, and re-add it. Besides that minor problem, it's worked very well for us. It also has support for Disk to Disk to Tape backups.

I wanted to chime in with a vote for Backup Exec. I'm not sure whats so annoying about it using MSSQL (MSDE), but it's rock solid for me. I use it for my user's personal network directories, pst files, and for my four Exchange servers. For everything else i use Netbackup, but it's a little out of the price range, about the same as Commvault.

Good to hear things about Retrospect...I'll have to give it a go.

I'm classically a Veritas Backup Exec guy..but around version 9.2..I started hating it. Got bloated...seems to require a lot of troubleshooting. Add to that..Symantec recently picked it up..so that's a permanent "Good-bye" for me.

Could never stand CA's backup.

Back