Advice on N router.

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I am running a DGL-4300 and I really like it but I have 3 laptops in my home that all have draft N cards in them. It would be nice to copy files quicker and I have been looking at all that is out. I really like the specs on the Dlink DIR 655 but really cant stand the white color. So I started looking at the Netgear units but they seem to get mixed reviews. Built in gigabit and QOS is a must. Range is not on the top of my list. I want to spend under 100$ but I don't want to get a cheap router and feel like its a downgrade from the DGL-4300 I have. What do you guys recommend? Is the N transfer rate worth the upgrade? I do a lot of media sharing and moving around of media files.

Well I suggest not being so picky. Who honestly cares what their router looks like if it performs great. The dir 655 is an awesome router.

Well I suggest not being so picky. Who honestly cares what their router looks like if it performs great. The dir 655 is an awesome router.

I keep hearing this! lol. My desk is just full of black equipment. The white router would just stick out. The DIR 655 is the one I keep looking at. I was looking at the Recommended router thread also and noticed the Trendnet but keep seeing ppl complain about connections getting dropped. It looks like I will pick the DIR 655. Guess I can mount it behind my desk. My friend works for Aerthos and does a lot of testing with different routers and also recommended the DIR 655.

I keep hearing this! lol. My desk is just full of black equipment. The white router would just stick out. The DIR 655 is the one I keep looking at. I was looking at the Recommended router thread also and noticed the Trendnet but keep seeing ppl complain about connections getting dropped. It looks like I will pick the DIR 655. Guess I can mount it behind my desk. My friend works for Aerthos and does a lot of testing with different routers and also recommended the DIR 655.

If all else fails, Mod it!!! Get out that can of black Krylon Fusion and go to town :)

dir 655 is the best router you can get, it looks really good even in white.

I got the DIR 655. Found I can get a free rosewill antenna extension with a combo deal. Going to mount the router under my desk and feed the antenna extension out up the wall behind my monitor.

I'd just stick with the stock antennas and see if it'll reach everywhere you need it. I've been very impressed with the range on mine.

I'd just stick with the stock antennas and see if it'll reach everywhere you need it. I've been very impressed with the range on mine.

Yeah, I didnt even think about it but im going to wall mount it strait to the wall. Its a white wall so it should look fine there. I have a ton of room behind my monitor so hopefully it will work well there mounted on the wall. The rosewill antenna was free.

Just realized my wireless printer and my Wii are on my wireless network. Is this going to cause my router to run at only G speeds meaning I wont get the N speed to the N devices?

Back when we had 802.11b devices connecting to 802.11g WAP's I believe that was the case but I don't think that happens anymore. Depends on you're specific router. Ask around on smallnetbuilder.com, they are pretty well versed in SOHO routers.

solution for the white....

go to home depot and get industrial velcro.
go home and velcro the lil beast to the side of your desk or behind it.

done!

Just realized my wireless printer and my Wii are on my wireless network. Is this going to cause my router to run at only G speeds meaning I wont get the N speed to the N devices?

it shouldn't. N routers are backwards compatible to G and B. The Printer and Wii will run in G mode while everything else runs in N.

Make sure you have mixed mode enabled and you should be fine.

Make sure you have mixed mode enabled and you should be fine.

While this is probably true for 802.11n, when you used mixed mode on 802.11g routers and connected an 802.11b client, all clients would default to 12Mbps.

Now an 802.11g client connecting to an 802.11n WAP probably won't make a difference, but i'm not so sure if you connect an 802.11b device (if you even have one..) I know my DeskJet 5850 has an 802.11b radio but I ended up wiring to my router so I didn't have to use 802.11b.

DIR 655 +3 !!!! I love this router, i have a ps3, Wii, Two Laptops and a Desktop connected to this, till this day hasn't drop a wireless connection, Very reliable router..

A DGL-4500 would look badass on your desk but you'll have to fork over a lot more cash than the DIR-655.

Back