• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice on external Water Cooling

Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
31
Hey there im planning a new project.

I am about to delve into water cooling but i am quite interested in building a external unit.

Im only planning to cool the CPU for now and so i plan to make a show sized box out of plexi or something similiar and have res in it, a PA120.3 rad, a pump, fan controller fans and a old generic PSU.

Now my main question is is there any major cons of these designs?

For example would there be problems based on the length of the tubes running from one box to the other.

Also since the Water bBox and PC will have seperate PSU's what if someone turns the pc on without the water or the water psu dies?

So please discuss away the pro and cons of my ideas...

Cheers for all responses.
 
I just use radbox to hang the rad off the back of my case... maybe it does not look all that nice but it gets the job done... Might wanna look into that ;)
 
I thought t that but its not jsut the rad, i have barely any space for a res or a pump.

Basically everything would be on the outside of the case anyway so why not put it in its own box.

Before you say get a new case, the only cases with decent water cooling potential and enough space to hosue my HDDs and etc. would use up my budget.

Also i have two systems using the same socket so with my idea i can swap teh cooling if i want.
 
In that case, yeah, it's doable. I'd advise to get quick disconnects, very nice for that sort of thing
 
I'm sure there's something out there that will tie your wc psu to your comp psu so they come on at the same time. You could run some wires from your comps psu to power everything but then you'd have tubes and wires all over the place.

The biggest downside to an external enclosure for your wc setup is the lack of mobility. It's hard enough moving around a fully loaded case let alone with tubing connecting it to another box. The quick disconnect is a good idea but they can get restrictive. And with the additional tubing your already going to use it may be something you need to consider.
 
You can make an external case for it all and attach it to like the bottom of your case. Which would work. I'm doing it right now. I ave a worklog up here if you wanted to check it out.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1030759016#post1030759016

I've already attached it to the bottom of my case and i jsut didn't post pics up of that yet i'm jsut waiting on the fillport before i can get it up and going and take the pics of it. However it is working nicely but it does add a nice amount of weight to your system. You might wanna look into building your own.

I'm just running using the same psu for everything.i have cut a hole in the bottom of my case which allows me to run the tubing and the wires up.
 
Several years ago I built a rather large external watercooling system housed in a vinyl cabinet like you see in a garage. It held two Ford Bronco heatercore radiators, water pump, dedicated power supply for the pelt. The radiators were cooled with two small AC desk 3 speed fans, vented through the sides of the cabinet. As a reservoir, I used a whole house water filter cartridge w/filter, a flow meter and all of the tygon tubing I needed. The only thing that was in the computer case was 12" of tygon and the powerlines to the pelt and the pelt and waterblock of course. The case itself would fit under the desk, but I put it beside the desk and used it as the computer stand. Worked quite well and the temps hovered right around freezing point. The only downside was moving. I began to move several times and it just got to be too much to deal with. I parted it out and went back to air cooling. All in all, it was a good experience. :cool:
 
I was searching for some of the pictures I took of the components while assembling, but only found the one that shows the components assembled. This was not the finished product by any means, just the first assembly and trial hookup to the computer. Cleaning and polishing came later. The tube going up out of the case is the fill tube/bleeder and the house water filter also has a bleeder on it. Getting air out of the system was a snap...the yellow liquid in the tubes is water wetter.....



 
Back
Top