• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice on Building a SG01 System

Nerva

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
92
I've swapped around components, etc, but I'm new to building systems, and what I'm about to attempt requires everything to go just right.

OK, here's the deal: I got a free computer from a friend a while back -- a Pentium-D 3.2GHz with 2GB DDR2, along with an assortment of drives, nvidia 7800 card, and a PSU that I added. The first problem with the computer is it is noisy as hell and the motherboard overheats. The second problem is the thing is a BTX design, in a lousy case to boot. Did I mention it's so noisy I can't talk in the phone in the same room? In other words, the BTX stuff is a dead end and must go.

So my plan is to jettison the BTX motherboard and case, buy a SFF case, and a mATX motherboard that will inherit the current CPU, RAM, video card, hard drive, etc. The idea is to buy a mATX motherboard that will accept the existing hardware, while also opening the way for me to upgrade those components when if/when I need to (i.e. when Fallout 3 ships and they patch the bugs enough so it works). I want to ditch the BTX junk NOW, without having to buy any other stuff I don't yet need.

The SFF case I have in mind is the SG01B-F, because it can accomodate longer video cards than the aluminum version. I'm also thinking I'll get the NT06-lite CPU cooler. I'm hoping my current Enermax 600W "whisper" PSU will work.

So the big questions I have are, have I overlooked anything in my thinking, and what motherboard should I get?
 
The SG01B-F is a good choice. I also chose that as my first SFF case. After years of towering tower cases, with multiple fans sucking up dust and taking up space, I wanted a nice quiet, small yet powerfull SFF setu for a change. I just about have my hardware specs laid out.

Mobo choice will really depend on wether you want to OC or not. I assume the Pentium D is LGA775? If your not going to OC, theres not much reason to replace the stock HSF unless you want to. I've heard pretty good things about the N06, but your gonna need to get airflow through that sucker either via the PSU or another 120mm fan. There are other choices as well that you could find after doing some searching.

Heres my setup at this point, i've been dinking with it seeing how much room I got to play with. Hope to have it built at the end of the month.

compare.jpg
[/IMG]

topangle.jpg
 
You seem to know/have an idea on what to get already. AFAIK he cannot reuse the cpu cooler if it's anything but the stock intel cooler. When you say BTX I'm thinking Dell. With the NT06 you may be able to cool it with the Enermax, wouldn't know til you try it. Since you're set on swapping parts already um well, do it and if shit don't work out then come back for more :D

Mobo choices.. sigh, why can't people use the search function? Or have a better list of criteria instead of throwing a "what to get" question. I can recommend the DFI Jr but if it's not your budget or its uses are limited to you, well... :rolleyes:
 
There is the ASUS P5K-VM mobo for a little over $100. Its a good mobo. Was a top popular choice for a while amongst the SFF enthusiast crowd. The P5E-VM HDMI and the new DFI JR mATX has surpassed it in overclocking features. They are more expensive though. Still, its a good choice if max overclocking isnt a priority. I'd say look at those two ASUS mobos to start with. If you want something cheaper and not into overclocking then you can find something less than $100 easily enough. The new DFI is the top overclocking performer but I wouldnt reccommend it unless you need a dual card set up. Its also at the top of the price list.
 
OK, let me refine my thinking on this a bit:

Forget upgradeability to faster CPU and RAM. Rather than upgrading, my new plan is that six months or so from now I will swap out the guts to a HTPC case and buy all-new guts for the SG01 case.

So all I'm looking for is a good and cheap mobo that only has to be a mATX that works with a 3.2Ghz Pentium-D and 2GB of DDR2 RAM.
 
OK, let me refine my thinking on this a bit:

Forget upgradeability to faster CPU and RAM. Rather than upgrading, my new plan is that six months or so from now I will swap out the guts to a HTPC case and buy all-new guts for the SG01 case.

So all I'm looking for is a good and cheap mobo that only has to be a mATX that works with a 3.2Ghz Pentium-D and 2GB of DDR2 RAM.

Then find anything that can support that stuff on Newegg. They have a very handy and usable advanced search function.
 
Back
Top