Advice on building a new PC

greatchap

Weaksauce
Hello Everyone,

I wish to build a new PC for home and work both. My work involves working with general products such as MS Office, PDF Readers, Browsing a lot. I also do development using Visual Studio 2010. Plus since I am into stock market research my task involves scanning data etc. I live outside the US.

Occasionally I wish to do gaming also. For e.g. I like FPS games and if there is a new title then I would want to play it. However, it will not be very frequent. I also wish to try the new upcoming Microsoft Flight Sim 2024. Looking for a build that will last 4 - 5 years.

I was thinking of:

> Intel i7 - 14000K/KF
> 2 TB SSD [Samsung 990 Evo 2Tb M.2 Nvme Gen4 Internal SSD > $190]
> 32 GB RAM
> A Good Motherboard
> RTX 4070 Super
> Antec NE850 Gold PSU

Questions :

1) For work i5 is sufficient but since I wish to do gaming (whenever a good FPS title is released & MS Flight Sim) I am going for i7. What do you guys think? Should I go with or without onboard graphics.

2) What type of SSD gives good performance ? M2.NVME or 2.5" SSD or M2.SSD ? Should I go for NVME vs normal SATA SSD.

3) Please suggest a good motherboard (between range of $100 - $170). It should support my GPU & NVME SSD (if I go for it).

4) PSU. please suggest a PSU which can do the job. Should I go for 850 watt or 1000 watt. I don't know.

5) The most expensive component is the graphics card which is going to cost me around $670. Should I buy it later when I feel I wanna play. Is the graphics card model okay?

6) I have a 24" monitor (HP) which has a refresh rate of (75 hz)

a) Should I buy a new monitor.

b) If yes should I stick to 24" or go for 27"

c) lastly all my life I have worked on 1920x1080. If I go for 27" is it okay to stick to that only or should I go for higher resolution.

7) RAM: Is 32 GB okay or should I go for 16 GB ? In case of 32 GB should I go for 2 sticks 16x2 or 1x32 or 8x4 sticks.

8) Cooler ?

Please suggest me what should I go for. My budget is around $1100-$1500.

Thank you,

Regards,
GR

1. I'd also go at least i7-14xxx. IIRC MS Flight Sim is very resource-intensive. With or without iGPU is a matter of taste. Without is a tad cheaper, with gives you a backup and access to the Intel encoders/decoders FWIW.

2. SATA SSDs perform fine for everyday tasks, but generally they're no longer that much cheaper than good NVMe units, so go with the latter. SK Hynix P41, Solidim P44, WD SN850X, or Samsung 990 Pro.

3. Not sure offhand. Find one with the desired features. I've stuck with Asus personally over the years with no issues, but everyone has their opinion on brand here.

4. Seasonic is always a solid PSU. Corsair also has some good models, though they vary OEMs so check reviews. 850 W is good for what you've outlined. No reason to go less than gold-rated.

5. The 4070S with a good CPU should do well up to 1440k for most current games, and could even do fine at 4k for older games and some shooters.

6. Maybe? I'm guessing it's not Free/G-sync, which is nice for gaming. But it is an extra expense. See #5.

7. IIRC MS FS loves RAM, so go at least 32 GB (16x2). The data analysis you're doing may also appreciate the added room.

8. Current high-end Intel CPUs run very hot. At the least you'll want a larger air tower, such as the Thermalright Frost Spirit/Phantom Spirit, Noctua NH-D15, etc. Though I'd consider a closed-loop AIO, such as the Arctic Liquid Freezer III.

What you're looking for is going to be pretty tight given the budget you've specified. All-in you're closer to $2000 before replacing the display. If your current GPU is adequate you'll save a bunch holding off on that. FWIW, what you've outlined pretty much lines up with a (non-final) build I've been playing with the last few months:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.23 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI II ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($685.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX GX-850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2033.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-24 20:30 EDT-0400

There's space to same some cash, such as scaling back on the mainboard, stepping down to DDR5-5600 RAM with looser timings, smaller SSD, using an air tower CPU cooler, and getting a different GPU such as the Nvidia OEM version and/or the non-Super version.

The iGPU wont be able to handle FS. Also, for a truly crazy FS experience you may want to plan for some VR goggles.

That said, you're going to want a fair amount going towards the GPU. The good news is FS doesn't need crazy FPS. Perhaps a bit unorthodox may be a 5800x3d to save money for more on the gpu.

1. I'd also go at least i7-14xxx. IIRC MS Flight Sim is very resource-intensive. With or without iGPU is a matter of taste. Without is a tad cheaper, with gives you a backup and access to the Intel encoders/decoders FWIW.

2. SATA SSDs perform fine for everyday tasks, but generally they're no longer that much cheaper than good NVMe units, so go with the latter. SK Hynix P41, Solidim P44, WD SN850X, or Samsung 990 Pro.

3. Not sure offhand. Find one with the desired features. I've stuck with Asus personally over the years with no issues, but everyone has their opinion on brand here.

4. Seasonic is always a solid PSU. Corsair also has some good models, though they vary OEMs so check reviews. 850 W is good for what you've outlined. No reason to go less than gold-rated.

5. The 4070S with a good CPU should do well up to 1440k for most current games, and could even do fine at 4k for older games and some shooters.

6. Maybe? I'm guessing it's not Free/G-sync, which is nice for gaming. But it is an extra expense. See #5.

7. IIRC MS FS loves RAM, so go at least 32 GB (16x2). The data analysis you're doing may also appreciate the added room.

8. Current high-end Intel CPUs run very hot. At the least you'll want a larger air tower, such as the Thermalright Frost Spirit/Phantom Spirit, Noctua NH-D15, etc. Though I'd consider a closed-loop AIO, such as the Arctic Liquid Freezer III.

What you're looking for is going to be pretty tight given the budget you've specified. All-in you're closer to $2000 before replacing the display. If your current GPU is adequate you'll save a bunch holding off on that. FWIW, what you've outlined pretty much lines up with a (non-final) build I've been playing with the last few months:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.23 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI II ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SK Hynix Platinum P41 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($685.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX GX-850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $2033.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-24 20:30 EDT-0400

There's space to same some cash, such as scaling back on the mainboard, stepping down to DDR5-5600 RAM with looser timings, smaller SSD, using an air tower CPU cooler, and getting a different GPU such as the Nvidia OEM version and/or the non-Super version.

Thank you for your feedback. However I have some questions:

1) I am looking for a AIR cooler and not liquid one
2) The motherboard you mentioned starts at $400 here and that also STRIX Z790-E/F/H models. The one you mentioned costs over $600. My budget for MB is $190 or lower.
3) RAM : GSkill Trident Z and GSkill Flare are similar. Latency: 30-38-38-96 / 30-36-36-96. Flare is slightly cheaper so is it worth going for it.
4) Cooler Maser and Deepcool is more readily available here. Please suggest a model from these 2 brands.
5) PSU wise please suggest between Asus / Cooler Master / Corsair / Deepcool / MSI. A PSU that supports PCIe 5.0

Thank you for your feedback. However I have some questions:

1) I am looking for a AIR cooler and not liquid one
2) The motherboard you mentioned starts at $400 here and that also STRIX Z790-E/F/H models. The one you mentioned costs over $600. My budget for MB is $190 or lower.
3) RAM : GSkill Trident Z and GSkill Flare are similar. Latency: 30-38-38-96 / 30-36-36-96. Flare is slightly cheaper so is it worth going for it.
4) Cooler Maser and Deepcool is more readily available here. Please suggest a model from these 2 brands.
5) PSU wise please suggest between Asus / Cooler Master / Corsair / Deepcool / MSI. A PSU that supports PCIe 5.0
You might have to downgrade your original CPU choice to an i5 (such as an i5-14500). You see, you will have to spend more than $300 USD just for a motherboard that can handle an i7-14700K at default settings, and with your chosen motherboard budget most of those cheap motherboards will throttle your planned i7-14700K(F) down to well below even the CPU’s base clock speed even on the P-cores (especially with your preferred choice of an air cooler).

You might have to downgrade your original CPU choice to an i5 (such as an i5-14500). You see, you will have to spend more than $300 USD just for a motherboard that can handle an i7-14700K at default settings, and with your chosen motherboard budget most of those cheap motherboards will throttle your planned i7-14700K(F) down to well below even the CPU’s base clock speed even on the P-cores (especially with your preferred choice of an air cooler).

1) I have decided to go for Z series motherboard for e.g. Gigabyte Z790 Ud Ac (wi-fi) Lga1700 Atx .... I hope that works/can handle with i7-14700K. Please let me know.
2) I will be going for a Noctua cooler and they do mention models suitable for i7 and show NSPR rating. So I can choose one that is decent and not too pricey.

Let me know your thoughts.

Maybe it will change with 2024, but FS 2020 loved AMD x3d chips a lot.

For software development (specially in visual studio) I would go for higher than 1080p, 27inch 1440p would be the minimum I would aim at (menus take a lot of screen estate if you do not go in full screen mode, to do side-by-side after that), you can dual monitor with your old 24 inch as well.

Maybe it will change with 2024, but FS 2020 loved AMD x3d chips a lot.

For software development (specially in visual studio) I would go for higher than 1080p, 27inch 1440p would be the minimum I would aim at (menus take a lot of screen estate if you do not go in full screen mode, to do side-by-side after that), you can dual monitor with your old 24 inch as well.
I am happy with 24" monitor (1080p) as the text are good size and for my software development its fine (for me). If I upgrade to 2K (27") then I will have to increase text size from 100% to 125% in Windows. Won't that reduce real estate space in desktop?

to increase text size from 100% to 125% in Windows
That really hard to say before trying as it is quite personal what comfortable, but 1440p 27 inch is still quite reasonable to run unscaled, you go from 92->108ppi. There is non text element using space in Visual studio quite a bit where you could gain.

visual-studio.jpg

Obviously if you are happy with your 24 (1080p) setup that nice.

That really hard to say before trying as it is quite personal what comfortable, but 1440p 27 inch is still quite reasonable to run unscaled, you go from 92->108ppi. There is non text element using space in Visual studio quite a bit where you could gain.

View attachment 644060

Obviously if you are happy with your 24 (1080p) setup that nice.
Do you imply that a 27" monitor is worth the upgrade from current 24" 1080p. I just don't want to strain my eyes as I think text etc. will become smaller right. And if I increase text size to 125% in Windows then available area will reduce. Even if I leave VS apart as currently I am okay with my current setup, does using other programs or games make a big difference or only slight.

Do you imply that a 27" monitor is worth the upgrade from current 24" 1080p. I just don't want to strain my eyes as I think text etc. will become smaller right.
Not that much because the monitor get bigger at the same time (27%) bigger while having 78% more pixel, you go only from 92 pixel per inch to 109 pixel per inch, it is far from the jump to 4k, has the quality of the monitor goes up eyes strains as well for similar sized text.

In lot of program you can change the font size (visual studio ctrl-middle wheel mouse scroll for example), obviously those things without testing it are a pit impossible to say, but I do not use the zoom function on my 27inch 1440p and on my ultra wide 1080p monitor, things are a little bit too big, but obviously sitting distance, preference, eye sights and so on.....

Let just say a 4k monitor would need to be around 42 inch big to get to the 1440p-27inch pixel density, it is still much bigger text than a 1080p Laptop.

If you often have say your header file and source file + a third reference file at the same time, 27 1440p over 24 1080p would be worth it. It is a bit special to have a conversation about this, it would be like talking about working on A4 sheet or other paper size, it is all up to you, I am sure (and you can be one) many people would prefer working on a 24 inch than a 27 and so on, certainly it is not really a bigger the better (there a reason text in book are not that wide, human brain can love seeing everything there is to see without moving the eyes and so on), I cannot tell it that it is worth it for you, just that you are doing some of the task in the type of program that can benefit the most and that 27inch-1440p for most people does not involve the 4k-5k high density pixel headache (one of my program I make, has issue on high density laptop monitor I was told by clients because it never came up on a 1440p).

For Excel it is a big deal how much more you see, you have 78% more pixel after all. For games/media I would not say I am someone that care that much past 768p, I stayed on an old plasma for a very long time.

Thank you LikeTbk.

Even though I am a bit confused after reading your post. My time is spend on other things also and not just Visual Studio. Moreover when I searched the web I read that 32" 4K is a much bigger upgrade as text and graphics is crisp. But 27" 2K is not that much and for people having good 24" monitors its not worth it.

I know this is subjective but I would never go beyond 32" as we are talking about monitors and not TV.

Also let me know your thoughts on my PC build (other components).

There is a guy selling a 4k 27" display for 250 shipped in the FS section if you want.

Also, OP your list you made seems perfect go for it. If you want a super solid high end board, I can advise teh Z790 Aorus Master, it's a bit pricey but it's so feature rich and overbuilt, I have 2 and love them def my favorite board by far.

Thank you XDiVolatilX.

The Z790 Aorus Master is too pricey and beyond my budget.

I just need help in 2 areas. Please advice.

Motherboard : Asus Prime Z790-P Wifi-Csm Lga1700 Atx Motherboard (PRIME-Z790-P-WIFI-CSM) OR Gigabyte Z790 Ud Ac (wi-fi) Lga1700 Atx Motherboard (Z790 UD AC)

Monitor:
ASUS TUF Gaming 27” 1440P HDR Monitor (VG27AQ3A) – QHD (2560 x 1440), 180Hz, 1ms, Fast IPS, 130% sRGB, Extreme Low Motion Blur Sync, Speakers, Freesync Premium, G-SYNC Compatible, HDMI, DisplayPort
OR
LG Ultragear QHD Nano IPS (27 inches / 68.5 cm) 165 Hz, 180 Hz 1ms, Nvidia G-Sync Compatible, FreeSync Premium, VESA Display HDR 400, HDMI, Gaming Monitor 27GP850 2560 x 1440 Pixels, Black
OR
LG Ultragear Gaming Monitor(27") Qhd IPS Display(2560 * 1440),Smooth Gameplay:165Hz & 1Ms,HDR 10,Srgb 99%(Typ.),G-Sync,AMD Freesync Premium,Anti-Glare,Height,Pivot,Hdmi,Dp,Hp Out,27Gr75Q,Black

Back