Advice on a new display, please

Accursed

Gawd
Hello, Recently I did a few upgrades to my Gaming PC Mostly to accommodate VR, almost a whole new PC in that I changed out my CPU/MoBo/RAM and GPU.

6700k @ 4.6Ghz
16 GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3400
MSI Z170A SLI Plus
Gigabyte GTX1080

So now I'm thinking I need to upgrade my desktop display to really take advantage of this hardware. I currently have a Dell ultra-sharp IPS 1080/60hz monitor that I bought about 5 years ago when it was relatively cutting edge.

What would you guys recommend and why? I play mostly FPS games.

I would go 27", 1440P, 144Hz with Gsync. TN or IPS is up to you since response times are similar in both. Note that IPS will set you back an additional $100 - $200 and some hardcore gamers swear they notice the quicker (on paper) response times in your modern TN panel.

That GTX1080 should get you around 80 - 120 FPS @ 1440 Ultra so the variable sync will help you stay above 60fps.

I would go 27", 1440P, 144Hz with Gsync.

Hey Nick, thanks for the reply. As I look at benchmarks and such I see that 1440 is probably the way to go. For whatever reason I thought 4k gaming was closer than it is, or even 1600 but it seems that the pixels increase fast and while I might have the latest and greatest, that's still a whole lot of pixels. The ultra wide 1440 displays look cool also, but looks like they would have the same issues with the high number of pixels and not many games support that resolution.

Back