Advice on a backup solution?

jdub12

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 23, 2003
Messages
250
I want to back up my server which contains about 100,000+ small files to a removable disk that I can take with me at all times.

Currently, Im using Dantz Retrospect Professional and their duplicate feature using progression. Anyways, it takes a while and I was wondering if there were any quick solution you guys would suggest for fast backup and recovery. Only problem with Dantz is, it backs up to one file...so If I had a problem I wouldnt be able to restore until I got the OS loaded again and the Retrospect software on to restore the file. Is there anything that will just back up the files without putting them into one archive so that I would be able to access the files immediately once I get the OS loaded?

Do you guys have any other backup techniques and/or suggestion? I would be happy trying anything that would be easy, automated and provide error free restoration. Thanks
 
Originally posted by jdub12
I want to back up my server which contains about 100,000+ small files to a removable disk that I can take with me at all times.

Currently, Im using Dantz Retrospect Professional and their duplicate feature using progression. Anyways, it takes a while and I was wondering if there were any quick solution you guys would suggest for fast backup and recovery. Only problem with Dantz is, it backs up to one file...so If I had a problem I wouldnt be able to restore until I got the OS loaded again and the Retrospect software on to restore the file. Is there anything that will just back up the files without putting them into one archive so that I would be able to access the files immediately once I get the OS loaded?

Do you guys have any other backup techniques and/or suggestion? I would be happy trying anything that would be easy, automated and provide error free restoration. Thanks

How much space are those 100,000 + files taking up now?
 
not a lot, maybe 4 or 5 gigs? But I have a removable drive that holds 60gb.
 
Write a batch file to xcopy the files with verify and use task scheduler to automate it?
 
Back
Top