• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

advice: new rig Jan 2010

anujinka

n00b
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
18
Going to upgrade own PC in Jan.
current rig: amd x2 3800, 8800GT ... , 24" display
budget is : 200.000 yen ~ around 2000$ (without display)

Want to build machine for photo editing, video rendering, gaming (not heavy). (want to use at least 1.5 years without no more upgrade)

If you have any advice plz write down.

(as you know Im living in japan and can't buy from newegg or net shops w/o international ships)

sry for bad english.
 
Last edited:
Wow that's quite a high budget. You can certainly build a very powerful system for that price.

3x2GB DDR3
Core i7 920
X58 mobo (future proof for the next 6 cores CPU)
Raid0 SSDs
For light (?) gaming I'm not sure if I would get a 5850 or better...a 5770 1Gb might be sufficient.
Prolimatech Megahalem or something equivalent
Corsair 750w or so PSU
Casing according to your taste and budget


You might have some money left too
 
8800GT should still be fine for sometime if you only do light gaming.

But, I think this topic would be better off in General Hardware. Just saying before you get flamed.
 
Wow that's quite a high budget. You can certainly build a very powerful system for that price.

3x2GB DDR3
Core i7 920
X58 mobo (future proof for the next 6 cores CPU)

future proof is a lie
and the only 6 core coming out is a EE part in the 1k+ price range and no other 6 core parts for atlest another year
by then a new chip set will be out with native SATA3 USB3 and PCIe3
no one ever just does a drop and never with a top end thousand dollar CPU
 
P6T SE
Intel 930
6 gb Gskill 1.5v ram 1600
80gb ssd Intel X25-m (OS)
500gb Samsung F3 (programs)
Prolimatech Megahalem
Antec Tp-750
ATI 4890
 
future proof is a lie
and the only 6 core coming out is a EE part in the 1k+ price range and no other 6 core parts for atlest another year
by then a new chip set will be out with native SATA3 USB3 and PCIe3
no one ever just does a drop and never with a top end thousand dollar CPU

There will be 6-core xeons next year, similar to the W3520 now which works in X58 boards.
 
I don't know what prices are like in Japan, but here's something to think about:
i7 920 - $300
12GB DDR3-1600 - $300
2x 24" TN LCDs(Displayport Capable) - $400
Corsair 750TX - $120
1.5TB Seagate Barracuda LP - $100
x58 mobo - $250
Xigmatek Dark Knight - $50
HD5870 - $400
Case of your choice - $100

It would be helpful to know more about your setup, more about what you need, and more about what you can use from your old box. The memory is mainly for a RAMdisk, which is useful in photoshop.
 
Is there any reason we should be waiting for this rather than just overclocking a 920?

I expect it will lower the price of the 920 a little. Probably no change at microcenter though.
 
thank you all for suggestion.

just did some research in here.
I just confusing 5970 or wait until January for nvidia's new VGA.
5970 is in japan around 80.000 yen ~ 100.000yen (~ 800 - 900 US$)
i7 920 : ~ 27.000yen (~ 300US$)

currently no decision about parts. Still hearing your advice.
 
Your budget is high for your requirements. There are a couple ways to go to spend all of the extra cash, but you have to ask if it is necessary or would it just be wasted cash.

Eyefinity:
I don't think photo editing requires dual-GPU video cards. If you want to go with a multi-monitor Eyefinity setup you might go ahead and go for the 5970 but even a 5870 will run games on 3x 24" displays.

Server hardware:
If there is no reason for Eyefinity then I would be more apt to get a server motherboard and run 2x Xeon 5520s or 5530s. This will boost your video rendering speed if there is a program that can leverage more than 8 virtual cores. Be advised that Eyefinity can still be done on server hardware, but that would probably go past your budget.
 
There will be 6-core xeons next year, similar to the W3520 now which works in X58 boards.

...and you think the xeons will sell for under 1k why exactly?

I like Squalish's setup, but might be tempted to swap to one ips panel if picture and video editing is important.
 
The low end ones probably will sell for less than $1000 US but who wants a 2.0GHz 6 core in a desktop chip?

I guess those looking to overclock it to 3GHz+. We shall see.
 
I don't know what prices are like in Japan, but here's something to think about:
i7 920 - $300
12GB DDR3-1600 - $300
2x 24" TN LCDs(Displayport Capable) - $400
Corsair 750TX - $120
1.5TB Seagate Barracuda LP - $100
x58 mobo - $250
Xigmatek Dark Knight - $50
HD5870 - $400
Case of your choice - $100

It would be helpful to know more about your setup, more about what you need, and more about what you can use from your old box. The memory is mainly for a RAMdisk, which is useful in photoshop.

With the suggestion of Photo Editting, you will not want TN monitors. They will directly negatively impact your capabilities when editting.

IPS panels will be the best choice, PVA/MVA would be second best, and TN is the last option for Editting. Since you are in Japan, you may be able to find some of these options:

  • NEC EA231WMi
  • Dell U2410
  • NEC 2490wuxi
  • HP LP2475w
  • or since it's January Dell U2711 (don't hold me to it being released but it's coming!)
 
no one ever just does a drop and never with a top end thousand dollar CPU

You can get X58 motherboards NOW that support SATA 3 and USB 3 and PCIe 3 probably won't be out until 2011, definitely well before the i7-980x.

I bought my Asus P6X58D with the express purpose of dropping in an i7-980x and getting the the sucker up to at least 4.3 and running a 1 TB SSD off of that SATA 3 interface. I'd say that from time to time you future proof for a bit. Like this time when a motherboard supports technologies that even out yet. I'd say that's future proofing albeit for only a few months.
 
You can get X58 motherboards NOW that support SATA 3 and USB 3 and PCIe 3 probably won't be out until 2011, definitely well before the i7-980x.

I bought my Asus P6X58D with the express purpose of dropping in an i7-980x and getting the the sucker up to at least 4.3 and running a 1 TB SSD off of that SATA 3 interface. I'd say that from time to time you future proof for a bit. Like this time when a motherboard supports technologies that even out yet. I'd say that's future proofing albeit for only a few months.

I think your missing the point
what i was getting at is why just drop in a 1000+ CPU if you have that much spare cash you can just get a new mobo any way when you want to and might as well wait for a better chipsets sure SATA and USB 3 are both out now but as an add on chip not native on the chip set
 
With the suggestion of Photo Editting, you will not want TN monitors. They will directly negatively impact your capabilities when editting.

IPS panels will be the best choice, PVA/MVA would be second best, and TN is the last option for Editting. Since you are in Japan, you may be able to find some of these options:

  • NEC EA231WMi
  • Dell U2410
  • NEC 2490wuxi
  • HP LP2475w
  • or since it's January Dell U2711 (don't hold me to it being released but it's coming!)

Far from ideal acknowledged, I was simply assuming he was happy with his current monitor and it would be nice to add two more that aren't color-critical - a better performance enhancement for photoshop and gaming than throwing a faster processor or an SSD at the rig. Multiple IPS monitors is a pricy decision to make, with significant hardware compromises if you have a fixed budget.
 
Last edited:
I think your missing the point
what i was getting at is why just drop in a 1000+ CPU if you have that much spare cash you can just get a new mobo any way when you want to and might as well wait for a better chipsets sure SATA and USB 3 are both out now but as an add on chip not native on the chip set

I think I understand your point but the 980 is due out March 16, 2010 so picking up P6X58D now with the intent of going to a 980 really isn't so far out that the technology is going to change much anyway.

In my case my main rig went down and I decided to go ahead and go to the X58 platform with the cheapest 1366 CPU, the 920, and then upgrade in March to the 980. If there is just some killer motherboard that comes out by the time 980 comes out then sure I can see you point, why hold back a $1k CPU? But there's just not going to be anything that much better than a P6X58D by March.
 
if I buy 920 in January can we sell used 920 at least half of bought price when 980 released?
 
if I buy 920 in January can we sell used 920 at least half of bought price when 980 released?

Just a quick check on eBay sees them going for over $200 so I'd say yes assuming that current new pricing doesn't trend downward with the arrival of the 980, but I would tend to doubt that. The 920 has held its current price since it's release on I don't think than an Extreme Edition part is going to have price pressure on the entry 920.
 
*Deleted*

OP is carrying over videocard to new build.

I thought someone was suggesting to buy a 8800GT new lol.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top