Advice needed

roocrew99

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
102
I'm downsizing from a 32" LG 1080P monitor. I originally intended to go to an eyefinity setup with 3 Benq XL 2420T's but after switching back to a TN panel from an IPS panel has changed my mind. It's funny how you dont notice things until you try something different and go back :D

Now i'm thinking of doing one of two things,

1) Buy 3 Dell U2412M's and put them in a landscape eyefinity setup along with a triple monitor stand. (~$930 plus stand)

2) Buy a single U2711 for the higher 2560x1440 resolution. Possible eyefinity setup down the road. (~$900)

This is for gaming (BF3, Diablo 3, SWTOR, etc.) mostly with a little web surfing added in. I'm not interested in the Korean monitors but I am open to other opinions/options.

What do you guys think? :confused:
 
Hah I have been having (virtually) the same debate... though I am mainly curious if eyefinity is worth it over a single large 27" for iRacing.
 
IPS monitors have a lot of input lag, so if you're doing lots of FPS don't get an IPS. But if you're gonna play mostly SWTOR and Diablo, I've heard good things about the U2412's.
 
Incorrect, you are mixing something up that you've read in the past. Or you may be remembering some specific model that has a scaler, which increases input lag.

They have much more input lag than good 120hz TN panels, that I know for sure...
 
They have much more input lag than good 120hz TN panels, that I know for sure...
"much more input lag"

Like i said before, you're confusing input lag with other stuff like pixel response times and refresh rates, which 120hz TN monitors excel at, but are something else entirely. There are many IPS panel monitors with less than 1/2 frame of lag, to get any lower you would need a CRT.
 
Last edited:
Dear OP,
You sir, have raised the ultimate question. It’s really hard to speculate on these setups as so much comes down to personal preference but I'll make an attempt and hopefully pose some questions you need to answer before moving forward with your decision.

Option 1 will definitely give you more real estate but if you haven't used a multi-monitor setup before the adjustment and learning curve of the setup can be a put off. Option 2 will give you a single cohesive experience but at the sacrifice of real estate.

From your sig it looks like you have 2x MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr crossfire setup? After some brief digging, I've seen an eyefinity setup of 5760x1080 (triple 24-inchers) running roughly at 40fps min in BF3. That setup may obviously be of lesser quality to yours but I think it is an important consideration that at higher resolutions (5760x1080 or 2440x1440) BF3 will definitely be the hardest hitting on your system and your CPU and GPU's memory will be significantly tasked to play on higher settings.

Unfortunately Blizzard has already confirmed (as of last year August) that D3 will NOT support eyefinity/multi-monitor gaming. Source

But hope is on the horizon as the beta actually contained support for higher resolutions (5760x1080 worked) and the D3 community manager said basically a “who knows, it might work” in that last source link, but it treated the resolution as 1 giant monitor so left and right aligned UI elements went to the far corners of the setup. Pictures and some explanation as to how it was working in the Source

Right now I think it is safe to say no one has any idea whether the final game will support these setups or not so you do take a risk going the multi-monitor setup.

SWTOR appears to support the multi-monitor gaming community so you are in luck there, but I don’t have any experience with this game and it’s system requirements so I will not speak to it.

As far as the monitors themselves, I can only speak to the U2412M. As being an avid PC FPS and MMO gamer for the last 8 years now I can say that the U2412M delivers awesomely. I currently have only 1 but plan to upgrade my setup to 3 once I can get a hold of one of those pesky GTX680’s. I honestly haven't noticed any sort of "ghosting" or "input lag" with the U2412M, maybe the other poster needs to check his mouse drivers if he is seeing slow response times or anything of the sort, it shouldn't be a monitor problem. If you are a color accuracy nut, or simply don’t like AG coatings I wouldn’t go with it though. My personal taste has always been to have AG coating as I am never in an ideally lit room for glossy screens to shine.

Unfortunately it comes down to your personal preference as this is your setup that you are going to have to live with (or return :p). Do you want ultrawide screen-high FOV gaming, but at the possible cost of higher performance requirements or lower quality? Do you want native support for your setup out of the box? Do you simply just prefer a single monitor or multiple monitor setup? Would you eventually want to go triple 30 inch monitors? Do you have the desk real estate for whatever setup you chose? Hard choices lie ahead.

Hope I’ve helped…
 
Back
Top