Good Afternoon!
Its been a while since I have upgraded. In fact I'm still running a AMD 64 3200+. So as I see I'm due a significant upgrade.
Lots has changed since I was planning my last build and I would really value some input on my part selection. One of the things I would really love to accomplish in this build is to make an extremely quiet box - maybe I'm just getting old but the roar of the jet engines in my current computer just isn't doing it for me anymore. That being said if making it extremely quiet will compromise performance - I would prefer to bump up the decibels a bit.
System Use and Overclocking intentions: I will be using this as my main system for work and gaming. I have another box I use as a multimedia system so that is not a major concern for this box atm. For work I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS3, and very minimally Sony Vegas. For gaming I mainly play World of Warcraft but casually like to play the latest and the greatest FPSs and RTSs. The monitor it will be plugged into is the 24inch Dell Ultrasharp. As far as overclocking goes - I have never done any overclocking before, but now most of the reviews make it seem so easy with automated settings for it in the bios now days. So I would like to overclock as long as it doesn't take extreme cooling or is too complicated. I understand you can easily get this chip to 3.0Ghz?
System Components
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 any reason to spend more?
MOBO - Could use lots of help here because they seem quite expensive if I'm looking at DDR3 and Also I can't decided how important SLI is to me, I know I won't have install it with the new build but could be nice to add in later on when the system is getting tired?:
Looking at these 2 cards or the likes:
Accessories
Case: LIAN LI PC-A59B or LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
PSU:Need suggestions. Want a solid, quiet, preferably modular PSU
CPU Cooler:Would like suggestions for a solid, quiet fan (without leds
)
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try and get all the details on the page in one swoop...I'm sure I still forgot something. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell by looking at the parts, Price is not the #1 factor in determining parts as I have budgeted some decent coin for this build (because I generally only build every 3 or 4 years), but I would hate to overpay on a part that I won't see any performance bump from - ie. just paying for a name.
THANKS!
Its been a while since I have upgraded. In fact I'm still running a AMD 64 3200+. So as I see I'm due a significant upgrade.
Lots has changed since I was planning my last build and I would really value some input on my part selection. One of the things I would really love to accomplish in this build is to make an extremely quiet box - maybe I'm just getting old but the roar of the jet engines in my current computer just isn't doing it for me anymore. That being said if making it extremely quiet will compromise performance - I would prefer to bump up the decibels a bit.
System Use and Overclocking intentions: I will be using this as my main system for work and gaming. I have another box I use as a multimedia system so that is not a major concern for this box atm. For work I use Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS3, and very minimally Sony Vegas. For gaming I mainly play World of Warcraft but casually like to play the latest and the greatest FPSs and RTSs. The monitor it will be plugged into is the 24inch Dell Ultrasharp. As far as overclocking goes - I have never done any overclocking before, but now most of the reviews make it seem so easy with automated settings for it in the bios now days. So I would like to overclock as long as it doesn't take extreme cooling or is too complicated. I understand you can easily get this chip to 3.0Ghz?
System Components
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 any reason to spend more?
MOBO - Could use lots of help here because they seem quite expensive if I'm looking at DDR3 and Also I can't decided how important SLI is to me, I know I won't have install it with the new build but could be nice to add in later on when the system is getting tired?:
- Intel x48 - ASUS P5E3 PREMIUM/WIFI-AP DDR3 but not SLI but Expensive
- Intel x48 - ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA DDR2, no SLI but more affordable
- nVidia 790 - ASUS Striker II Formula DDR2 with SLI but more affordable
- nVidia 790 - ASUS Striker II Extreme DDR3 with SLI but wildly affordable
- DDR2 - Cheaper ($170): OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 CAS 6
- DDR2 - Cheaper, lower speed? CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
- DDR2 - Expensive CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 CAS 7
- DDR3 - Cheaper OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
- DDR3 - Expensive CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800
Looking at these 2 cards or the likes:
- 9800x2 - BFG Tech BFGE981024GX2E GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB
- 8800GTX - XFX PVT80FSHE9 GeForce 8800GTX Extreme 768MB
Accessories
Case: LIAN LI PC-A59B or LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
PSU:Need suggestions. Want a solid, quiet, preferably modular PSU
CPU Cooler:Would like suggestions for a solid, quiet fan (without leds
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to try and get all the details on the page in one swoop...I'm sure I still forgot something. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. As you can tell by looking at the parts, Price is not the #1 factor in determining parts as I have budgeted some decent coin for this build (because I generally only build every 3 or 4 years), but I would hate to overpay on a part that I won't see any performance bump from - ie. just paying for a name.
THANKS!