Advice needed for a DAW build

Bump1

n00b
Joined
Jan 25, 2012
Messages
3
I am trying to build a DAW in a very small mini-ITX case. So, I am trying to fit as much power under it as possible without compromising the structure of the build. i.e. excessive cooling measures.

I'd say the overall space in the case is comparable to a u2.

So, considering heat concerns, I narrowed my CPU choice to either the i5-2500T or the i7-2600S

It's almost impossible to find benchmarks for these in DAW applications. So I am hung up on which processor to choose.

I run FL Studio which handles multicore processors very well... But I use a lot of 32 bit plugins.. and I am uncertain of how many or which ones are coded to really benefit from a quad core CPU. So I am wondering if I will need that extra clock speed...

Mind you I can run a 30-40 track project with about 40 instances of my heaviest plugins with my current E8500 Core2 (4gb DDR2) setup and it has quite a load but it doesn't flinch.

So what I really want to know... is can I get away with the i5-2500T? Would it be a significant upgrade from the E8500?? Or should I just go with the i7-2600S and roll the dice on any heat issues??

Thanks in advance!
 
What is a DAW and if it is HTPC in a small case it usually goes in Small Form Factor Forum. SFF.

Good luck!
 
Digital Audio Workstation...for audio production...so it wouldn't be used for gaming at all.

Yea, it's technically a small form factor.. But actually I just wanted to know if the i5-2500T which is 2.3ghz quad w/ turbo boost of 2.8/// would be an upgrade over the E8500 Core2 3.16ghz..

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread... if a Mod can move it if need be..that would be cool.

Thanks
 
yeah it should be a hefty upgrade.

from what people are saying between the two, a 2500 should get the job done cheaper and with a slightly lesser heat output, though 2500-2600 heat outputs are both 95w
 
^^ He is talking about the 2600S vs the 2500T, NOT the regular 2600/2500.

I would go with the 2600S is you want to stick with the lower voltage procs. Thats a 65w, and still boosts to 3.8Ghz. 2500T will be a bump but that single/dual core turbo speed is going to help a lot in audio stuff, so I'd say go for the 2600S :) The 2600S should put out a similar amount of heat as your current CPU (both 65w spec) but be a LOT faster, I dont think you will have problems cooling it.

Also Note:
S series proc is low power
T series is even lower power and performance
 
Back
Top