• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice : my first smartphone

muniraj

n00b
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
57
Hi All, I am looking for my first smart phone. I am searching some on internet , forum etc and got some information. First Android seems to be better then other OS because of support and free apps. Second I am not exactly looking for i phone( don't ask me why).

So this came down to my options as
1. HTC HTC
2. Motorola Motorola
with Android OS.

Features that I have in mind :
1. Big screen (HD)
2. touch / both
3. powerful camera ( more than 5MP)
4. slim
5. no flip

This is just what i gathered . Please provide your advice and comments for the purchase. Thanks
 
There are not that many choices.

AT&T= Captivate
Verizon= Droid X or Fascinate
Sprint= Evo
T-Mobile = Vibrant
 
There are not that many choices.

AT&T= Captivate
Verizon= Droid X or Fascinate
Sprint= Evo
T-Mobile = Vibrant

In other words, pretty much any Galaxy S variant you can get...and I agree :)
I love my Captivate with Froyo Rom.
 
You could wait and see what the windows 7 phones are all about, samsung focus is launching Nov 8 for at&t
 
I agree, slim + big screen = Galaxy S variant, although the cameras leave something to be desired.
 
is GPS fixed on the galaxy yet? i'm coming up on the end of my "30 day buyer's remorse" period of the iPhone4 and thinking I want to get rid of it. I would like to use it for GPS tracking my bike rides and runs though.
 
black_b[ ]x;1036312731 said:
is GPS fixed on the galaxy yet? i'm coming up on the end of my "30 day buyer's remorse" period of the iPhone4 and thinking I want to get rid of it. I would like to use it for GPS tracking my bike rides and runs though.

The GPS fix that was released wasn't as good as the Froyo leak. We're all waiting to see how good the final release is on many things. If you need something as accurate as tracking your bike, I don't know if Samsung will ever get us to that. Most of us are pretty amazed at semi-consistent 10m accuracy, while I know of other phones that are usually at 5m.
 
Yeah if you need super accurate GPS, then the Galaxy, at least at this moment, is not the one you want.
 
Yeah if you need super accurate GPS, then the Galaxy, at least at this moment, is not the one you want.

That and battery life. I ordered a droid x instead of the fascinate just recently because the Galaxy S phones apparently have problems with battery life. That and the GPS is spotty at best.
 
That and battery life. I ordered a droid x instead of the fascinate just recently because the Galaxy S phones apparently have problems with battery life. That and the GPS is spotty at best.

There is nothing wrong with battery life imo...must of what I read is about people flashing with non full batteries and that messes up the reading.
I got 3 batteries (2 ebay cheapos) and they all work fine since I charged them the right way. :)
 
There is nothing wrong with battery life imo...must of what I read is about people flashing with non full batteries and that messes up the reading.
I got 3 batteries (2 ebay cheapos) and they all work fine since I charged them the right way. :)

I keep reading quite a few reviews showing that the general Galaxy S phones have pretty much less than half the battery life of my iPhone 4 or the Droid X. Then I hear people state they have no problems with it? I can't figure it out. Though I must say the battery life on my iPhone 4 is Spectacular specifically when compared to the Evo which I had the pleasure and disdain to use for a month.
 
I can only speak for my experience. There are many things you read that make no sense but I am 3 out of 3 and 9.95 for the 2 ebay batteries plus charges...I wasnt expecting much! lol
 
I keep reading quite a few reviews showing that the general Galaxy S phones have pretty much less than half the battery life of my iPhone 4 or the Droid X. Then I hear people state they have no problems with it? I can't figure it out. Though I must say the battery life on my iPhone 4 is Spectacular specifically when compared to the Evo which I had the pleasure and disdain to use for a month.
My iPhone4's battery life blows my Captivate's battery life out of the stratosphere.

There are much better reasons to keep the iPhone over a Galaxy phone besides GPS and battery life, though.


Things I would consider when deciding:
1) Network (will I get good signal? what are my friends and family members using?)
2) Form Factor (what size screen do I want to stare at? do I want a physical keyboard?)
3) Will it do what I need it to do (apps/OS?)
4) How is the support/use? (is it a bitch to work with, like my Captivate on x64, or a seamless apple experience? will my tech skills have to be on the level of digging around support sites in Taiwan or walking into any major US mall?)

5) total cost of ownership
 
My iPhone4's battery life blows my Captivate's battery life out of the stratosphere.

There are much better reasons to keep the iPhone over a Galaxy phone besides GPS and battery life, though.


Things I would consider when deciding:
1) Network (will I get good signal? what are my friends and family members using?)
2) Form Factor (what size screen do I want to stare at? do I want a physical keyboard?)
3) Will it do what I need it to do (apps/OS?)


4) How is the support/use? (is it a bitch to work with, like my Captivate on x64, or a seamless apple experience? will my tech skills have to be on the level of digging around support sites in Taiwan or walking into any major US mall?)

5) total cost of ownership

True most of yournpoints are valid. Which is why I want an iPhone on verizon. I had to switch recenty because since I moved signal in my house is non exsistent. Other than that I like the iPhone more based on hardware, ease of use, apps (games are better) and battery life. If I didn't have signal problems I would be switching and paying a penalty just 3 months into my new contract.
 
My iPhone4's battery life blows my Captivate's battery life out of the stratosphere.

There are much better reasons to keep the iPhone over a Galaxy phone besides GPS and battery life, though.


Things I would consider when deciding:
1) Network (will I get good signal? what are my friends and family members using?)
2) Form Factor (what size screen do I want to stare at? do I want a physical keyboard?)
3) Will it do what I need it to do (apps/OS?)
4) How is the support/use? (is it a bitch to work with, like my Captivate on x64, or a seamless apple experience? will my tech skills have to be on the level of digging around support sites in Taiwan or walking into any major US mall?)

5) total cost of ownership
I can actually use those same points you are using pro Iphone against it . If you like to be told what you can or cant use and having to hack your phone on every update then be my guest.
I would never get an iphone just like I would never use AOL....they are on the same level for the same kind of people.....nuff said...
 
I can actually use those same points you are using pro Iphone against it . If you like to be told what you can or cant use and having to hack your phone on every update then be my guest.
I would never get an iphone just like I would never use AOL....they are on the same level for the same kind of people.....nuff said...

his points were not pros for getting an iphone, they are things to consider when purchasing a phone in general
 
I can actually use those same points you are using pro Iphone against it . If you like to be told what you can or cant use and having to hack your phone on every update then be my guest.
I would never get an iphone just like I would never use AOL....they are on the same level for the same kind of people.....nuff said...

Almost same can be said for Android No? Except they are less open about it. Carriers locking down search engines, side loading apps. Phones with locked boot loaders to keep custom roms out. Google and its certification process to get market etc. Most of all the customizations are done with root anyways. Most OTA updates unroot the phone too so that point you had about hacking your phone after every update is pretty bull. Android and iOS are not that different. And before you start your fanboy crap I have had 2 android device and plenty of iPhones. I spent ample time with both so as an overall point Different strokes for Different folks.
 
Well really got a lot info from the posts. Thanks all. I am basically looking for a unlocked phone (as kind of traveling places often). So carrier will be changing. Also I am going to buy it within a month, so cannot look for coming months options. After all the valuable inputs I am again consolidating my feature list again.
 
Back
Top