• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice for small case with good airflow

featsdontfailme

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
411
Currently I use a Lian-Li A05B case for my daughter. GPU temps are unacceptable.

She has an air cooler, Rampage Formula, OC'd Q9450, and an XFX DD 6950.

If you haven't seen one of these, the airflow is reversed, in from back-out the front.
I even have a side window fan for intake.

The 6950 has a double fan and direct contact sink.
Idle temps are at 53C with fans at 58% loads go to the 90sC.

Maybe I need a new case? But I would like something the same size as the A05B.
 
How about this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112366

3x120mm fans and a 140mm front fan

8.27" x 15.75" x 19.53"


yours is listed at :


8.26'' x 15'' x 19.3''

Yes I came across that earlier this afternoon. Thanks.


The XFX card I have is equipped with an exclusive cooler, one that is supposed to be much better and cooler than reference......like the twin frozr. It's either crap or the case is just poor in moving air. Thing is I've not had this problem before.....and I had an HD 5850 and 4890 in the same case?
 
What CPU cooler? Keep in mind any heat coming off the CPU will somewhat also dissipate upwards and right into the GPU, so that's possibly why your GPU is running hot.
Your OP says air cooler and OC'd q9450 but no mention of the air cooler; I'm hoping you're not running a stock cooler?
You might want to dial down the OC and test your temps running stock to see whether the CPU is negatively impacting the GPU temps or not.

The flaw with the A05 is the heat pocket in the top. If yours did not come as the revision with the exhaust slots in the top panel, you could always dremel your own; I've done that before with 2 A05's, a lot of other people have as well (check the A05 thread for plenty of pictures on that).
You're going to have a hard time finding a case that size....another option would be to ziptie a fan up there or you could try a slot blower to help cool down the GPU also.
The A05FNB is the same case without rotated ATX....that's another option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112331

I would not get the A55, it fared very poorly when reviewed by AT.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6012/lian-li-pca55-case-review-unfortunate-name-befits-design/6
 
Last edited:
It looks like the airflow of your case is bad. Might wanna clean out all dust, remove fan filters - I only use fan grills and just clean out my case daily if I can from dust.

If you want better temps you might want to consider a bigger case with bigger / more fans. The case configuration you are looking at - even if you get a newer case - is not very good, or doesn't look to be very good for airflow.
 
Probably best to move to a better designed case for air flow.
Maybe the mini p180 or the fractal design midi
 
What CPU cooler? Keep in mind any heat coming off the CPU will somewhat also dissipate upwards and right into the GPU, so that's possibly why your GPU is running hot.
Your OP says air cooler and OC'd q9450 but no mention of the air cooler; I'm hoping you're not running a stock cooler?
You might want to dial down the OC and test your temps running stock to see whether the CPU is negatively impacting the GPU temps or not.

The flaw with the A05 is the heat pocket in the top. If yours did not come as the revision with the exhaust slots in the top panel, you could always dremel your own; I've done that before with 2 A05's, a lot of other people have as well (check the A05 thread for plenty of pictures on that).
You're going to have a hard time finding a case that size....another option would be to ziptie a fan up there or you could try a slot blower to help cool down the GPU also.
The A05FNB is the same case without rotated ATX....that's another option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112331



I would not get the A55, it fared very poorly when reviewed by AT.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6012/lian-li-pca55-case-review-unfortunate-name-befits-design/6

I use the ArcticCooling Freezer Pro rev2..........CPU runs pretty cool, <45C if I recall.
The Dremmel option sounds like the thing.;)

It looks like the airflow of your case is bad. Might wanna clean out all dust, remove fan filters - I only use fan grills and just clean out my case daily if I can from dust.

If you want better temps you might want to consider a bigger case with bigger / more fans. The case configuration you are looking at - even if you get a newer case - is not very good, or doesn't look to be very good for airflow.
It's clean as a whistle.
I use filter-rite filters due to dogs.:p

Probably best to move to a better designed case for air flow.
Maybe the mini p180 or the fractal design midi

Thanks for the suggestions.:cool:
 
Back
Top